Coopers Community

Yeast

Zelly

How fast can yeast ferment sugars?

Does pitching rate affect this?

The reason I ask is the starter I made yesterday was a massive overpitch of yeast cells & the starter seems to want to clear today with no scum ring on the flask.

Does this sound like something you would want to pitch into a full volume wort?

I would be interested in others thoughts.

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Does pitching rate affect this?

The reason I ask is the starter I made yesterday was a massive overpitch of yeast cells & the starter seems to want to clear today with no scum ring on the flask.

Does this sound like something you would want to pitch into a full volume wort?

I would be interested in others thoughts.

Lusty.

Most definately the size of the pitch determines how fast it will ferment out. Got lazy and overpitched a slurry of US05 a couple of months back. Done in 3 days when its normally 5 or 6 from a normal pitch. Blander than normal too.

From pitch calculator an overpitch of a starter will give you about 1.5 times more the ending cells. A 100 bn pitch into a 2L starter at 1036 gives 260. A 200bn pitch into a 1036 gives 400. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Agree with above however just on this bit, really bloody quickly if you include fructose. 24-36hrs (on a standard fruit pitch) and she’s done. Clearly easier to eat but yeah, really quick.

Edited by The Captain!!

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Agree with above however just on this bit, really bloody quickly if you include fructose. 24-36hrs (on a standard fruit pitch) and she’s done. Clearly easier to eat but yeah, really quick.

That would be because the yeast doesn't have to break down fructose first as it's already in its simplest form. It would probably ferment dextrose pretty quickly too for the same reason. 

Sugars like sucrose and maltose have to be broken down into their parts by the yeast before it can metabolise them, which would take longer. 

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That would be because the yeast doesn't have to break down fructose first as it's already in its simplest form. It would probably ferment dextrose pretty quickly too for the same reason. 

Sugars like sucrose and maltose have to be broken down into their parts by the yeast before it can metabolise them, which would take longer. 

Exactly my point. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Detroit D said:

Hi All

some how I managed to pick up a Belle Saison when I meant to grab Nottingham. As I am planning to do a Pale Ale would I be better to chuck this to the side and use the kit yeast?

cheers

If you're planning for it to taste like a Pale Ale, then yes.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I want to know how you count 100 billion+ cells  😄

Get a microscope. These are pictures from mine, although I was counting viability not total cells 😂 the blue ones are dead cells. The first one was from a packet of Nottingham kept in the fridge, that was 2 or 3 years past its best before date, rehydrated in water to be able to put on the slide.

20190802_011514.jpg.97f75f7b4cdbf3b128137ed291495a3d.jpg

20190802_011615.jpg.2f1576f32bf78be348edbf957c768c6e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Get a microscope. These are pictures from mine, although I was counting viability not total cells 😂 the blue ones are dead cells. The first one was from a packet of Nottingham kept in the fridge, that was 2 or 3 years past its best before date, rehydrated in water to be able to put on the slide.

20190802_011514.jpg.97f75f7b4cdbf3b128137ed291495a3d.jpg

20190802_011615.jpg.2f1576f32bf78be348edbf957c768c6e.jpg

Name them! 😂😂

• Haha 1