Coopers Community

Newbie to brewing questions and advice :)

MitchellScott

Whereabouts do you live? Most guys using heating use a belt or something like that and just have it dangling inside the fridge so it heats the air rather than the fermenter directly. 

Being in Brisbane I haven't bothered with a heat source like that because I hardly ever need it. When I do need a bit of heat I just boil some water in an Erlenmeyer flask, cover with foil and put it in the fridge. It works well. Usually I re boil morning and night until I don't need it anymore, which is usually just a few days. It's more work than a plug in heat source but only needing it once or twice a year I don't see any point in buying one.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Mitch.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, MitchellScott said:

...While I got you, question for you. My go to beer is generally a Carlton Dry/Super Dry. What coopers home brew do you think would get me the closest to that style of beer if I had the 23L fermenter?

Once you start home brewing good quality beer you'll forget those beers ever existed & wonder why the heck you drank them for so long. You've had the wool pulled over your eyes for long enough.

Welcome to the real beer world. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Got some good news... Did my first FG test on the brew last night and got a reading of 1004, will test it again tomorrow and if its the same will look at bottling very soon.

Had a small taste test, and it wasn't too bad! It smelt a little cidery but certainly tasted better then the smell.

I also managed to score a big fridge for $50 and have ordered a temp controller so the next brew will be temp controlled which should help a lot :). Could I ask your recommendations on heating devices to put in the fridge? I wont need one at the moment but certainly will once winter starts to roll around.

Cheers!

I would go for a belt. IMO they are a little more versitile than a pad. You can move them up and down the fv and potentially get a better temperature control.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Welcome to the forum Mitch.

Once you start home brewing good quality beer you'll forget those beers ever existed & wonder why the heck you drank them for so long. You've had the wool pulled over your eyes for long enough.

Welcome to the real beer world. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hahahaha cheers Lusty :) keen to get more involved and start drinking my brews!

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I would go for a belt. IMO they are a little more versitile than a pad. You can move them up and down the fv and potentially get a better temperature control.

The belt sounds like it would work great but my temp controller will work off ambient air temp so unfortunately wrapping a belt around the FV won't work for me as I wont be reading the temp of the liquid in the FV directly. Hence why I think I'm going to have to hang it in the fridge to control the ambient air temp?

Thanks guys!

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just tape the probe from the temp controller to the side of the fermenter underneath some foam. That way it measures the brew temp which is what you want to be doing anyway since that's what you're controlling. 

I will give that a go. Do you use like a Styrofoam or soft flexible foam?

Cheers.

Awesome I will have to try that then definitely.

An update - tested the FG again today (2 days after the first test) and it is the same... 1004. Its been 11 days in the FV now, the beer smells fine and tastes okay too, I must've done well with the temp hahahaha! I should be right to bottle tonight yes?

Cheers.

1.004 sounds low but it is stable which is the main thing. I'd say you can bottle it now or whenever you have a chance. 

Test the hydrometer in plain water sitting at 20 degrees. It should read 1.000 but they're often out one way or the other. If it is you just factor the difference into the readings when you take them. e.g. mine reads 0.998 in water so I just add 0.002 to the readings I take.

12 minutes ago, Spudley said:

Cut the side of a stubby holder works well the wet suit kind not the foam one 

Sounds like a plan, got plenty of those hanging around. Cheers!

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

1.004 sounds low but it is stable which is the main thing. I'd say you can bottle it now or whenever you have a chance. 

Test the hydrometer in plain water sitting at 20 degrees. It should read 1.000 but they're often out one way or the other. If it is you just factor the difference into the readings when you take them. e.g. mine reads 0.998 in water so I just add 0.002 to the readings I take.

Just tested it with cold water from the tap, read 0.994. So I guess I will add 0.006 to all my readings.

Well I'm a bit confused... Went to bottle this afternoon and thought I would just take another SG reading to be sure its holding at 1.004 (1.010).

Took a reading and it showed basically 1.000 flat....... Tested it in water again and now the water reading is showing 0.990. No idea whats happened.

Sounds like the hydrometer is forked. I had one years ago that sprung a leak and started reading stupidly low as a result. 

If you can find a glass one that is single piece construction, those are ideal. The two piece construction ones (weight attached to the bottom rather than part of the whole thing) are more likely to start leaking. 

The one I use is a Stevenson Reeves brand, got it for $20 on eBay but it did come from the UK. Could probably find one more local though. The Carlton ones are decent but expensive.

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Mitch

Looks good and I have bought from that seller before without issue.

Cheers Shamus

Sweet, I will most likely order that tomorrow then :).

Well, I've just finished bottling the brew. The FV is now in warm water in the bath tub with all the other parts inside soaking in Napisan. Will rinse them out for storage after 24 hours then get myself some Starsan for sanitizing right before the next brew.

Now the 3ish week wait to try one :(.

Thanks to all for your help once again!!

Archived