Coopers Community

Newbie to brewing questions and advice :)

MitchellScott

That's the same one I had that sprung a leak. However, it took a while to do so. I'd get it for now though. 

My old lhbs sells glass testing tubes, they're made from the same stuff as Pyrex, which comes in handy on brew days. The best thing I like about them though is that they're crystal clear. I've had some plastic ones in the past that have been a bit opaque which makes readings a bit difficult to see. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's the same one I had that sprung a leak. However, it took a while to do so. I'd get it for now though. 

My old lhbs sells glass testing tubes, they're made from the same stuff as Pyrex, which comes in handy on brew days. The best thing I like about them though is that they're crystal clear. I've had some plastic ones in the past that have been a bit opaque which makes readings a bit difficult to see. 

Can you remember if it was a glass one or a plastic hydrometer (the one you had that leaked)? I'd prefer to get a glass one and if I have to wait a while for it, so be it.

Okay well I have the new hydrometer on order and have also got the Inkbird ITC-308 temp controller coming so keen to start the next brew.

Another question, I noticed the Coopers carbonation drops come in much bigger packs compared to the Mr Beer ones but are basically the same price. Are the Coopers carbonation drops the same as the Mr Beer ones? I can probably get the Coopers ones from my local Dan Murphy's if so.

Thanks 🙂

Alright guys so I bit the bullet and got the 23L kit on special, picking it up tomorrow.

I also got the Brew Enhancer 2 with it as I have heard the included Lager extract brews nicer with BE2 compared to BE1.

I am thinking about getting some Saflager W34-70 yeast for the brewing, or should I just use the kit yeast? If you recommend the W34-70, would the fermenting temp be about 12C?

I am hoping for a nice crisp beer by the end of it if I can manage... Is there any hops/ingredients you would add to the Lager Extract or just stick with the Extract and BE2?

Once I use this kit extract I will purchase some more extracts and will be trying some of the recipes I think I might like. Might even check out the ROTM for next month :).

For a first brew I wouldn't go using things like SafLager - just use the kit yeast. First brew never turns out amazing. Use it more as a test run to get your cleaning and sanitising processes down before you start using expensive yeasts and hops etc.

15 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

For a first brew I wouldn't go using things like SafLager - just use the kit yeast. First brew never turns out amazing. Use it more as a test run to get your cleaning and sanitising processes down before you start using expensive yeasts and hops etc.

I've got myself some Starsan, a fridge and a temp controller for this brew so I am hoping that all goes to plan.

Will take the advice and use the kit yeast. Cheers :).

7 minutes ago, Gus96 said:

If you have temp control (Inkbird)  I would use the W34/70 @ 12C it will be a better outcome. It will take a little longer to ferment out but will be better than the Lager kit yeast IMHO

Yes, I have a Inkbird ITC-308 to control the fridge.

One pack of lager yeast isn't enough, however you could probably get away with it if you pitch it warmer (around 20 degrees), then start lowering it down to 12 degrees after 12-18 hours. It's not the best method but it'll save you buying more yeast. I'd be rehydrating it in water first too. 

The two main things I've found to produce the best lagers, backed up by plenty of literature, is pitching a lot of yeast at or below fermentation temp, and an extended lagering period after fermentation/carbonation. The third part is obviously a suitable fermentation temp. 12 degrees will work very well. 

29 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One pack of lager yeast isn't enough, however you could probably get away with it if you pitch it warmer (around 20 degrees), then start lowering it down to 12 degrees after 12-18 hours. It's not the best method but it'll save you buying more yeast. I'd be rehydrating it in water first too. 

The two main things I've found to produce the best lagers, backed up by plenty of literature, is pitching a lot of yeast at or below fermentation temp, and an extended lagering period after fermentation/carbonation. The third part is obviously a suitable fermentation temp. 12 degrees will work very well. 

I've noticed that many of the recipes say to add both the W34/70 and kit yeast and pitch at around 20 degrees then slowly lower the temp down to 12ish after about 12-18 hours as you said. Is this so you don't need to buy more yeast? Would you use both the kit yeast and the W34-70 or just the W34-70?

If I pitch at 12C would I most likely need to get 2 packs of yeast? I don't mind pitching at 20C then bringing it down as my tap water is generally about 20C so works well and makes things easy.

How exactly do you find is the best way to give the beer an extended lagering period? Also - since I have never done it, how does one rehydrate yeast?

Thanks - sorry for all the questions 😃😃😃

I wouldn't bother with adding the kit yeast if you use lager yeast in this batch, because the kit yeast is an ale yeast. It will just go to sleep and do nothing at 12 degrees. Those recipes you mentioned are using kits that come with lager yeast. 

If you wanted to pitch at 12 degrees then I'd advise two packs. 

Extended lagering is nothing more than storing it cold, such as in a fridge. It's easy for me with kegs but a whole batch worth of bottles may be more difficult to find space for. You could do a short lagering process in the fermenter before bottling it which is better than nothing.

Rehydrating yeast, simply boil about 200mL water in a Pyrex jug, cover and let cool to about 30 degrees. Sprinkle the yeast in, let sit for 15-20 minutes then stir it up into a cream and pitch into the wort. Simplez! 😎

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wouldn't bother with adding the kit yeast if you use lager yeast in this batch, because the kit yeast is an ale yeast. It will just go to sleep and do nothing at 12 degrees. Those recipes you mentioned are using kits that come with lager yeast. 

If you wanted to pitch at 12 degrees then I'd advise two packs. 

Extended lagering is nothing more than storing it cold, such as in a fridge. It's easy for me with kegs but a whole batch worth of bottles may be more difficult to find space for. You could do a short lagering process in the fermenter before bottling it which is better than nothing.

Rehydrating yeast, simply boil about 200mL water in a Pyrex jug, cover and let cool to about 30 degrees. Sprinkle the yeast in, let sit for 15-20 minutes then stir it up into a cream and pitch into the wort. Simplez! 😎

I owe you a beer! 

Thanks heaps man. Ill head to the LHBS and get some lager yeast on Saturday and pitch it Sat night at 20C, then lower it to 12C after 18 or so hours. Can't wait.

Alright guys planning to pitch the brew in the next few days as I now have the fridge setup with temp control, I've got the 11.5g W34/70 and some stellasan for prep.

For the timing, would you set the temp control on the fridge at 20C then after 12 hours set it to 12C and let it bring it down to 12C over the next few hours? Just trying to line it up so I will be home to change the temp when necessary.
Whats your recommendation?

Thanks!

Archived