Coopers Community

Krauspolsion ?

supernerdy

Hey,

Well started my stout today and happy days! 30ltr FV and 20ltr brew.

Just got back from the gym and the krausen has hit the lid and looks like it might explode/over flow.

Any suggestions of what top do? ? The lid is screwed on tight so I dont think it can go anywhere except in to the airlock... wasnt expecting it to react this much

Think I figured it out.

Airlock wasn't bubbling so I took it out to reseat it and then it went spas like the video.

Thinking the gas hadn't been escaping all day and now it's bubbling if should release hopefully... But we will see if I add to the fail thread soon or not

It won't be a problem.  Just gotta remember to ignore the airlock. If the gas wasn't escaping somewhere you'd probably have a batch all over the floor 😉

I had the complete opposite on the stout I did recently.  The OG was 1.0855 and it hardly got above about a 40mm Krause the whole fermentation.  Still reached FG though. 

Hi Supernerdy.

If using a standard type airlock fermenter with high gravity brews & stouts etc. a lot of guys worried about possible overflow fit a "blow off" tube. (see pic below)

blow-off.jpg

If the brew reaches the lid & beyond it will force its way down the tube.

The containment vessel can be anything, pyrex jug, plastic bowl etc.etc. Just make sure the end of the tubing is submerged under water in this vessel to maintain the "airlock" & sanitary fermentation conditions. And don't fill it with too much water (like this bloke has) as often quite a bit of crud can find it's way into the vessel.

As PB2 mentioned, the Coopers DIY fermenter with Krausen collar fitted is great for providing that added headspace for brews like these. 😎

You look to have left enough head space anyways.

I hope that helps, & best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

10 hours ago, grogdog said:

I threw away my krausen collar. Never used it and it took up room.. With how coveted this little bit of kit is around here lately makes me wish i kept it.

You can actually use the krausen collar on standard brews. Something that is often forgotten about the collar is that it positions itself where the bottom point of it sits at around the 20.5 litre mark. Anything filled above that mark will catch the krausen.

After primary fermentation is complete, you can actually remove the collar & the hard krausen with it, while still allowing the brew to finish cleaning & clearing up prior to bottling/kegging.

The collar is not solely useful for higher volume/higher gravity brews. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The collar is not solely useful for higher volume/higher gravity brews

Yep it's a great feature, and why I use it on every brew, even when I know the krausen height will be small. I tend to remove and clean at the same time as dry hopping to avoid opening the fermenter more than once. Because of the cat fur... 

Archived