Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

9 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Had one over the weekend, it is nice. But had the Pale Ale as well and enjoyed it far more

p.JPG

Interesting - haven’t come across this one yet (probably got something to do with my limited visits to the local bottle shop these daz 😉) - sounds the goods though 😋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Got it in Nowra

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Got it in Nowra

Thanks @Brauhaus Fritz, only I'm on the other side of the world in Busselton, WA 😂🤣😂

However I do note Dan Murphys have a clearance sale on the GOAT Pale Ale over here for $23.39 a six pack of stubbies (or box of 24 for $73.00) - However, I'm not ever likely to shell out that sort of coin for a commercial beer ... 🫣

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Thanks @Brauhaus Fritz, only I'm on the other side of the world in Busselton, WA 😂🤣😂

However I do note Dan Murphys have a clearance sale on the GOAT Pale Ale over here for $23.39 a six pack of stubbies (or box of 24 for $73.00) - However, I'm not ever likely to shell out that sort of coin for a commercial beer ... 🫣

I think it was a BWS shop at Wollies

Pirate Life California Pale Ale

IMG_20231208_180918982_HDR.thumb.jpg.29a8b2ff862fa356488504d408a45cec.jpg

It's alright but not as good as their Pale Ale, IMO.

White Rabbit Hoppy Ale

IMG_20231208_183120909.thumb.jpg.173cca90feb45824cef6d46cf16c636b.jpg

This one is a bit of a mystery. It was in the discount trolley at Dan's but it doesn't appear on the White Rabbit website in either their current or past beers. Nice at the price.

• Like 6

Advent Calendar, day 8: Organic Table Beer by Wildflower Brewing. This is an interesting one. It has this nice farmhouse feel to it. At 2.9% ABV, it is also quite smashable. I've had it before in a mixed pack and was quite happy to see it again. I'm glad the no-frills vibe of the can doesn't extend to the content 🙂 It is a little gassy but. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bba9594b9c9ab0bc4bf2895bc8721bbd.jpeg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Advent Calendar, day 8: Organic Table Beer by Wildflower Brewing. This is an interesting one. It has this nice farmhouse feel to it. At 2.9% ABV, it is also quite smashable. I've had it before in a mixed pack and was quite happy to see it again. I'm glad the no-frills vibe of the can doesn't extend to the content 🙂 It is a little gassy but. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bba9594b9c9ab0bc4bf2895bc8721bbd.jpeg

Glad that the beer is OK. Obviously the marketing guru's had a big part in naming it 😉🤣

• Haha 1

Advent calendar, Day 9. Summercloud Hazy Pale Ale by Jervis Bay Brewing. It’s hazy, it’s a pale ale. Not a bad beer at all but the oats are a little dominant in this one. Oats are a funny beast. I love them in a stout or a porter but in pale ales, I think they can be rather overpowering. Sometimes, less is more I say. 

IMG_9668.thumb.jpeg.36a2e7cbf0620dd20d3cc0301197376e.jpeg

• Like 8

My sister and her partner had brought back a mixed 1/2 doz tins from the Tinshed Brewery in Dungog NSW for my father to enjoy, but a whole tin is too much for him in one go. My father and I shared a Munich Dunkel It was very smooth and malty - yummy!  

20231209_165830[1].jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

My sister and her partner had brought back a mixed 1/2 doz tins from the Tinshed Brewery in Dungog NSW for my father to enjoy, but a whole tin is too much for him in one go. My father and I shared a Munich Dunkel It was very smooth and malty - yummy!  

20231209_165830[1].jpg

Looks like pretty decent beer Jenny, trying new beers also gives you incentive to try & replicate the styles you enjoy yourself.

I looked up the brewery, it looks like they are doing OK.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks like pretty decent beer Jenny, trying new beers also gives you incentive to try & replicate the styles you enjoy yourself.

I looked up the brewery, it looks like they are doing OK.

That’s right. It is a challenge to taste a beer and then try and recreate it in some way. Not as a clone but a redesign or a rendition. Or sometimes you get a beer where you say yes…but. If you manage to address the but and come up with something you think is how it should be, it is very rewarding 👍

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

That’s right. It is a challenge to taste a beer and then try and recreate it in some way. Not as a clone but a redesign or a rendition. Or sometimes you get a beer where you say yes…but. If you manage to address the but and come up with something you think is how it should be, it is very rewarding 👍

It can even start when you try a nice IPA with using hops you have never tried before, I did when I first tried Eclipse, since then I have made several IPA's soley using them, usually 60-100gms.

It takes a bit of researching but you can usually find something that is worthy of a try.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It can even start when you try a nice IPA with using hops you have never tried before, I did when I first tried Eclipse, since then I have made several IPA's soley using them, usually 60-100gms.

It takes a bit of researching but you can usually find something that is worthy of a try.

Phil, I buy the KL NEIPA FWK's and do a dry hop of 100grams of Eclipse and use Verdant yeast. It is just a smashing beer - really beautiful. I really enjoy the aroma and the flavour Eclipse brings to the party. Just an overwhelming smack of fruitiness in every sip. 🙂 Got one lined up for Xmas day. Woohoo!

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Phil, I buy the KL NEIPA FWK's and do a dry hop of 100grams of Eclipse and use Verdant yeast. It is just a smashing beer - really beautiful. I really enjoy the aroma and the flavour Eclipse brings to the party. Just an overwhelming smack of fruitiness in every sip. 🙂 Got one lined up for Xmas day. Woohoo!

I would definitely agree with that Mick, I love Eclipse Hops & I have used them several times in the FWK, a few styles Pale/IPA/XPA & they always shine through. Of course, Citra & many others are nice too.

The CB Eclipse IPA All Grain Kit is also exceptional also, just great out of the keg.

• Like 1

Advent calendar, day 11. QDH Hazy Fouble IPA by Aether Brewing. I guess QDH means quadruple dry hopped? Nice stone fruit aromas and flavours but they’re offset by the “sharpness” of the oats and the overall bitterness of the DIPA. Ok beer for the occasional drinker but not my fave. Plus the 8.8% ABV are a bit of a deterrent.

IMG_9673.thumb.jpeg.7dfa2454e2e13aa408f3425dd7e7e8d1.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 7

I got the Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, but I am a bit behind in posting the results because I was a bit incommunicado last week on a houseboat holiday on the Murray River out of Mildura.  Plus I got pretty crook half way through the trip, and only catching up with things now.

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 1 - Spotty Dog Brewing - Double West Coast IPA

Consumed at my brother's in Horsham

• Nice hoppy aromas
  • Strong bitterness, but not overpowering
  • Good bold flavour

IMG_4057.JPG.34cbf1b1815bed798162c48c1eeec5ee.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 2 - Mountain Culture - Esky in the Boot

• Nice tropical aromas
  • Smooth flavour and bitterness
  • Alcohol nicely restrained

IMG_4066.JPG.f66dde1ffef2f03aefa0d58a0cafaa2b.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 3 - New England Brewing Co - Dapper Special Bitter

• Subdued caramel and toffee notes with a hint of roast
  • The can says "Tastes like crusty bread" which is so true
  • Nice smooth bitterness
  • Clubhouse leader to date - 8/10

IMG_4071.JPG.5fe8e26a64272b4e69c6dc0578728ce5.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 4 - Yulli's Brews - Smoked Mango Chilli Sour

• I know it sounds weird, but what an excellent beer
  • Decidedly smoky aroma
  • Not too much sour flavour, but lifted by the chilli at the back of the throat
  • The mango is noticeable too
  • Surprisingly little smoky flavour given the strong aroma
  • New clubhouse leader 9/10

IMG_4081.JPG.d47be85c249a3fc76fbc62998be6970f.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 5 - Blackmans - Citra Cryo Pale Ale

• Loads of carbonation
  • As expected, plenty of oranges and lemons aroma
  • Less punchy flavour, more layered
  • Mild bitterness
  • A good Pale Ale 7/10

IMG_4085.JPG.f9bc1c56278f0e637fdd8a2f84d09163.JPG

After this brew, but not from this brew, I got sick, so will have to catch up over the next few days.

• Like 7

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 11 - Akasha Project - Hop Alone - Single Hop Pale Ale

• Citrus and tropical aromas
  • Orange rind flavour that lingers
  • The bitterness seems to parallel the orange rind flavour in intensity
  • More than a decent Pale Ale 7.5/10

Back to the boring at home photo background

IMG_4101.JPG.13c4764ed0847c785e8de2cb4f1a6725.JPG

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got the Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, but I am a bit behind in posting the results because I was a bit incommunicado last week on a houseboat holiday on the Murray River out of Mildura.  Plus I got pretty crook half way through the trip, and only catching up with things now.

Shamus, thank for posting your reports of your beer tasting - great stuff. I've always wanted to do the Mighty Muzza houseboat trip. How'd your cruise go? (apart from feeling crook midway thru). I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick along the way mate, hope all is okay now.