Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

Kegging day for me today, this time another batch of Boh Pils. This is the first one fermented with 2000 Budvar yeast. I think there's about 22 litres in the FV so I'll drain off 3 or 4 schooners to clear the tap and surrounds, and have a sneaky taste test, before filling the keg, leaving a litre or so behind to avoid trub pickup. The keg will sit on serving pressure gas (out of the fridge) for an hour or two just to get some positive pressure in it for its period of sitting around waiting for a tap.

Edit: Here's a glass of the pilsner poured straight from the FV before I filled the keg. The yeast must have really dropped like a stone because it's not far off the clarity it winds up at once it's been in the keg a while. I think there is a little chill haze in it, I should have used more Polyclar really for the ridiculous amount of hops that were used in it but it's still a bloody tasty beer nonetheless and I look forward to tapping it when that time comes happy

1497405195_7_382.JPG

The yeast starter for the next batch will then be crash chilled tomorrow, and that batch pitched on Friday. This one is also a mystery batch, either the red ale or the home malted barley ale. I'll use the dregs of the yeast starter to get more practice making slides for analysis too, I have thought of a different method of preparing them which will hopefully be easier.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was kegging day again, this time the pale ale brewed with the home malted barley. It actually turned out quite well, nice malt flavor and hops being noticed as well. It was pretty well all Cascade in it from memory. I'm sure it'll be nice once it goes on tap when that time comes. It started at 1.0393 and finished at 1.0125 so it's not very high in ABV at about 3.5%. Should be nice for arvo sessions though... maybe I should brew a few more middies.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be kegging my latest SNPA clone tomorrow, and after that the brew fridge will get a break for a short while during which time I'll give it a good clean out as best I can. We ended up getting approved for a house and move in next Saturday, so in order to transport the brew fridge it can't really have a batch inside it.

The other thing I have to do is empty the two beer kegs currently on tap before next Thursday or Friday, which could prove difficult since I won't be here over the weekend... I'm upping my beers to two a night to try to run the kegs empty in time. Obviously they can be taken out for the fridge to be moved but I'd rather them empty to avoid disturbance of trub and temperature changes.

As a result of all this, the Bohemian Pilsner, home malted barley pale ale and this SNPA clone will be the first three beers on tap in the new place, with a Bo Pils going into the FV whenever I get to brewing it, which will likely be the weekend after the move date or the one after that.

There's no real downstairs area that I can use for brewing at this place, so that will have to take place on one of the decks or maybe the laundry or something. The keg fridge can sit inside this time; since the floor is all polished timber floorboards any spills won't be a problem to clean up quickly.

In any case, looking forward to it. It's a lovely little place we got smile

Cheers

Kelsey

Time for me to get there I think.

Can some kind soul go to here and link me all I need for a set up with one keg (options for more in the future).

Can I put them in my beer fridge and drill the tap into the door? I measured and would have room for a shelf in the fridge still which is good as I cure salami in there.

Time for me to get there I think.

Can some kind soul go to here and link me all I need for a set up with one keg (options for more in the future).

Can I put them in my beer fridge and drill the tap into the door? I measured and would have room for a shelf in the fridge still which is good as I cure salami in there.

Fridge works fine ' date=' not hard to put a 22mm hole through , i bought my taps from Ebay and unlike many others got exactly what i ordered and delivered overnight .

I checked national home brew and they have a complete starter kit using 2 x brand new kegs and an el cheapo tap link here... or can get 2 x genuine Intertaps for about same money

Check link here...

For taps and liquid side lines / fittings and they also sell used cornys

Either call Martin and see if he can put a package together or hunt around Gumtree , i saw cheap cornys on there last week in Darwin

Fridge works fine ' date=' not hard to put a 22mm hole through , ....

Either call Martin and see if he can put a package together or hunt around Gumtree , i saw cheap cornys on there last week in Darwin [/quote']

Thanks mate. Darwin's a bit far from me, I'm nearer Cairns.

Martin pointed me in the right direction, I'll buy some decent stuff from him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just finished kegging my first brew using the Enigma hop. Nice light pale colour & smells good. I've given it a fast carb & now just have it sitting on serving pressure. I have a late shift tonight, so will have a go at pouring one when I get home.

All looks & smells promising atm. Will update down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday kegged my DPA it tasted pretty good, however I am worried I won't be as good as my Accidental Mosaic - I missed a few of the numbers most notably the FG.

Last night my session IPA blew so today I kegged my Helles Lager after 11 weeks of Lagering. It is an advantage having some Lager ready to go when you need to fill a keg biggrin.

Now I am looking at 2 weeks of AFD while I wait for these two. I do have a Coopers EB kit on tap, but it needs a little more time.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 1 month later...

Kegging day today, my red ale went into the kegs. I drained 3 schooners from the FV to clear the tap area of crap, then filled the mini keg with about 4.5L, with the rest obviously going into the main 19L keg.

There's already a keg of Bo Pils on tap which was put on for my birthday drinks over the grand final weekend, but it's been left alone since then until the pale ale is kegged in about 3 weeks time. Should be able to chuck a bit of that one into the mini keg as well to blend with the red ale and have an extra 8-9 litres outside of the 3 bigger kegs.

The pale ale will be pitched on either Friday or Saturday, depending on available time on Friday.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

Another kegging day today, this time it's the pale ale mentioned in the previous post, brewed with Centennial and Cascade (that's all I had here on the brew day). It came out around 4.65% ABV in the end. This will obviously fill a 19L keg and I'll also get a few litres into the 10L keg to bring that up to pretty much full as well. I threw 75g in for the dry hop for this batch; 45g of Cascade (all that was leftover) and 30g of Centennial.

I'll put this one straight into the kegerator once it's full as there's only the Bo Pils in there and the empty soda water keg at the moment, and the red ale will go in tomorrow when the yeast starter is removed. I'll carb both these kegs on high pressure as per my usual procedure, then on serving pressure until empty. I still have 16 500mL cans of Hollandia to get through so I don't expect to be pouring from these kegs until some time on the weekend.

The next batch of Bo Pils will be pitched tomorrow to begin the process of filling the next three kegs.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

Created myself a simple solution to warm beer in tube today.

Fountain pump (bunnings, smallest they sell) $25.00

Air con pipe insulation, Actrol $4.50

3.5 metres of 8 mm plastic tube (in stock so free)

Continuous loop of water pumped from resivour in keezer, beer and water tubing encased in air con insulation together works a treat.

Beer was pouring ok till weather started to get hot then first pour was wasted due to getting hot in tube. Problem now solved.

Might try adding glycol to water to improve coolth transfer.

Would post a pic but too hard (forgotten how)

Bo pils went into the keg earlier after I couldn't get to doing it on the weekend as planned. Lovely and clear already, a stark contrast to the previous batch which was cloudy as all hell and is still on tap after two months. It has cleared somewhat and is tasting better now, but it's amazing what a difference using Brewbrite makes.

The ESB will go into the FV tomorrow.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm now finally allowed to post in this thread, as my new little keg arrived yesterday - A 10l ikegger setup with check valve and sodastream canister.... A nice starting point to start playing with kegging, and conveniently had 10l of pale ale ready to start carbonating in there....

A question though for the very experienced keggers here. I filled the keg and set it up to force carbonate at 25psi. However, when opening the dial on the mini regulator I could only get the gauge up to about 17psi, and once up to that pressure it would only go down to about 13psi when I turned the gauge down.

No leaks in the system that I could see (even tested with soapy water), so not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?? Do I have a regulator problem??

Still delighted to dump an entire FV into a keg - I can see how it gets addictive!

The regulator gauge on a single gauge system measures the pressure in the keg so turning down the gas flow shouldn't change the reading significantly.

Even with the gas turned off it will still indicate the pressure in the keg.

As you dispense beer the indicated pressure should drop.

I'm not familiar with those mini regs so I can't really give any advice but it certainly sounds odd.

It's kegging day here too, got my ESB going into a 19L keg and the surplus into the 10L since it ended up being emptied prior to this batch being ready to keg. I was going to bottle the surplus if the keg was still on tap, but no need now.

I put the ESB and Bo Pils into the kegerator yesterday, and set the gas to 45PSI. It was turned off a couple of hours ago, and tonight I'll be releasing any remaining pressure then hooking the gas back up at normal serving pressure, so they'll be nice and carbonated for Monday.

I decided to take the taps off and dismantle them to give them a proper clean, just got the first one soaking in perc now but they're not even dirty inside anyway. I didn't completely dismantle them i.e. remove all the O-rings, but the handle assembly and flow control lever have been removed to be able to see inside.

I haven't done anything but clean them in place with perc and a rinse of hot water afterwards since I bought them over 2 years ago, so they obviously are able to be cleaned properly just by doing that. Some of the external threaded parts have a bit of muck around them though so I figured I might as well soak the whole thing, and wipe off the threads on the font itself which have a bit of muck on them too.

Overall though I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the taps from simply running perc through them.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

Kegging day today, being the APA that I brewed with Citra, Chinook and Simcoe. This beer was my first go at doing a cube hop, so it'll be interesting to see what effect that has. I also did a rather large dry hop, probably about 80-90g all up. This keg will be going straight into the kegerator on gas once filled up so it should hopefully be carbonated by tomorrow night.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 4 weeks later...

Kegged my home grown Cascade pale ale on Saturday. I had enough surplus for a couple of 6 packs as well, but had issues with the bottle capper so in the end there were no bottles done. Good thing I didn't decide to bulk prime that few litres.

Instead I decided to take the 10L keg out of the fridge and see how much space was available in it, which turned out to be enough to put about 3-3.5 litres of this brew into it, so it now has a blend of three different beers in it - the other pale ale which had Simcoe, Citra and Chinook, this Cascade one, and an English bitter with Styrians. It tastes quite nice though, and that surplus didn't end up going to waste.

Now just to fill two more kegs over the next few weeks to get all my three taps running beer again.

Cheers

Kelsey

Nice work mate! Not much beats having your own home brews on tap at home.

I've decided to change things up a bit with my set up though. Since I only have one fermenter at the moment, I've decided that there will permanently be a tap dedicated to soda water, while the other two will rotate between different beers. It's getting to be too difficult to get three new batches ready before the three kegs on tap plus the mini keg have been emptied, and I'm ending up having to buy beer for weeks on end while I restock the keg fridge.

Reducing to two beer kegs on tap means I only have to ferment and keg two batches while the other 2 and a half kegs are consumed. I think this will end up being a lot easier and while I'll still end up buying beer from time to time, it might only be a weekend here and there rather than blocks of 4 or 5 or 6 weekends at a time. This weekend coming will be the last time I buy beer for a while as the red ale will be kegged next week; it and the pale ale will be ready by the weekend.

The only time I'll have three beers on tap at once is when I do my annual batch of porter or stout, when it can take the place of the soda water keg temporarily.

Besides, it's nice to have some fizzy water to make cold drinks with during my work breaks on the weekdays when I can't have any alcohol. I kinda miss that when all the taps are taken up with beer.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived