Coopers Community

motivation

ozm8ey

G'day ozm8ey, No not at all, I see it as a necessity on the path to good beer. wink

I find the task of bottling from cleaning to putting the cap on and storing rather beneficial and therapeutic to me. smile

How do you see things? Is the glass half full or half empty? sshhh, trick question if your in an atmosphere it's always full. surprised

Cheers.

Not really, although I'd prefer not to have to do it. Unfortunately at the moment a kegging setup isn't feasible.

Washing and rinsing bottles is probably less of a pain in the arse to me than bottling the beer, because I only wash about 20 at a time. Once I collect about 20, I soak them in the laundry tub with Napisan or the like, and then rinse them out the next day. It probably takes about 30-35 mins to rinse them all out.

Bottling however, requires setting up, cleaning FV's, and doing about 65-70 bottles at once. In saying that though I can usually have all the beer bottled in under an hour, then it's just a quick 20 minute cleanup and it's done.

At the end of the day though, the only motivation I need to continue is the fact that I am brewing delicious beer myself, for a fraction of the cost that it would be to go out and buy similar types of beer. And that one day, I WILL have a kegging setup. lol

Cheers

Kelsey

G'day m8tey.

I switched to kegging my beer at the expense of the sheer joy I experienced when cleaning bottles! tongue

Ahhh...I miss those days....NOT! lol

Like Brownsworthy, I still bottle a few from each batch from beer remaining after I've filled the keg. When it comes to beers that require aging time though, such as dark ales & stouts etc, I still bottle these.

Stubbies are a chore because you have to clean about 55-60 of them each time, but I bottle in 750ml longnecks, & 28-30 I don't find overly time consuming, or a real drama to clean & maintain.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I only use stubbies because they're more convenient with my drinking habits in regard to work etc. I only have one a night after work, which wouldn't really work with tallies, even if I did use one of those resealer things. There'd still be a heap of headspace in the bottle and coming back to it 24 hours later I don't know whether it'd still be as carbonated as when first opened. Prefer to have a fresh bottle each time.

They are a bit more of a pain in the arse in regard to bottling the beer simply because there is double the amount. I usually bottle and cap two at a time though, which cuts the time down a bit. Cleaning isn't such an issue because I only do 21 at a time, which would be the same regardless of what size bottles I used.

Either way, it works for me and my situation, and that's the main thing. cool

It's a bit annoying at the time but soon forgotten once it's done and your drinking your own brew a few weeks later. This is my routine:

- Once I finish drinking a tallie, rinse it with boiling water.

- When my brew is almost ready I wash all my tallies (about 24 per brew) the day before bottling and leave them upside down to drain overnight.

- On bottling day I sanitise and fill all my tallies.

I used to find washing all the bottles then sterilising and filling them in one day was a bit too much.

What annoys me the most is when I do a brew for someone and they don't rinse the tallies out and they come back full of mould at the bottom devil

What annoys me the most is when I do a brew for someone and they don't rinse the tallies out and they come back full of mould at the bottom devil

I find it best to take the HARD LINE on this - about 3 weeks ago' date=' a work colleague gave me a dozen bottles for filling with something I have going at the time. This is not a huge impost on me because after bottling a few samples, the remainder of my trial recipe brews tend to slide down the drain.

Anyway, only 4 of the 12 bottles were clean. I let him know he can have 'em back or I'll recycle them but they won't be filled with beer whilst in their current state. I'm betting the next dozen from him will be sparkling clean [img']wink[/img]

I find one of the benefits of doing 10 litre batches is that bottling is a bit easier. I fill about a case of 330ml stubbies each batch. Could probably squeeze a bit more out, but I'm not too fussed - there tends to be at least a litre and a half of trub out of the 10 anyway. I've got a big black plastic bucket that perfectly holds 24 330ml stubbies, so I'll soak them in Coopers Sanitizer in the laundry trough, pop them in that and carry them around. I fill and cap 6 at a time, placing the caps on top of each right after filling, then putting the 6 through the capper. Occasionally I'll fill a few of the Coopers PET bottles instead to give to friends since they may not come back.

Having said that, there's something cool about having beer on tap, so I bought a Tap-a-draft system from ibrew for my next batch. Will fill one of their 6 litre bottles and put the rest in stubbies for future batches.

Does anyone else find it hard to get the motivation when it comes to having to wash/rinse all the bottle then having to bottle the beer? its like harder than work for me.

Hahaha YES!

From the first batch' date=' I knew I would come hate bottling and started planning the move to kegs. This morning marks hopefully the last full batch I will ever bottle. The final pieces of my DIY keezer should arrive next week and then I expect to slip into a blissful existence of endless cold beer on tap, leaving behind the haunting memory of those little blue bottling wands ([i']WHY ARE THEY SO BLOODY SLOW!!?!?![/i])

Anyway' date=' only 4 of the 12 bottles were clean. I let him know he can have 'em back or I'll recycle them but they won't be filled with beer whilst in their current state. I'm betting the next dozen from him will be sparkling clean [img']wink[/img]

PB2 your a nice tactful, clever bloke and far kinder than me.......devil

Cheers.

Anyway' date=' only 4 of the 12 bottles were clean. I let him know he can have 'em back or I'll recycle them but they won't be filled with beer whilst in their current state. I'm betting the next dozen from him will be sparkling clean [img']wink[/img]

I too take a tough stance with my friends & relatives in this area. I'm more than happy to make them a brew & even bottle it for them, but I'm not scrubbing & cleaning filthy bottles for them as part of the deal.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It is the worst part of brewing. I clean as I go so that is fine but I find bottling a chore.

It is only the thought of tasting the lovely nectar in a few weeks time that gives me the motivation to do it.

its like harder than work for me.

I would rather be bottling then going to work though whistling

Does anyone else find it hard to get the motivation when it comes to having to wash/rinse all the bottle then having to bottle the beer? its like harder than work for me.

It can be a PITA, but not as much as having a brew ruined from contamination of unclean or unsterilized bottles.

The best way I've found is to rinse the bottles with warm/hot water as soon as you empty them, then you just have to give them a brief soak in the same solution you use to wash your FV.

What I do is wash out the FV, use the tap to transfer the liquid into my bottles, rinse, then let them soak in a weak bleach solution, empty then rinse (optional), then keep the lids on them until needed, to avoid anything getting in there.

Typically I do the wash & sterilize routine each time I clean my FV prior to brewing.

This ensures I have enough clean bottles for a batch well before I'm ready to bottle, and avoids the frantic cleaning process when your brew is ready to bottle.

It also ensures I have a good count of my empty bottles, to ensure I know when I have enough to start my next batch.

This is not a huge impost on me because after bottling a few samples' date=' the remainder of my trial recipe brews tend to slide down the drain.[/quote']

crying

ozm8ey, whenever I feel like you I use it as motivation to head down to the bottle shop and pick up a 12 pack of Coopers longnecks. Using 750ml bottles means half the cleaning, bottling and capping! Typically I use 375ml bottles since most of my brews end up on the stronger side but when I brew lighter beers I try to use as many longneck bottles as I can. In fact with the change in the weather I may have to go buy some Best Extra Stout... whistling

Archived