Jump to content


Coopers Club Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. Weird thing I came across today. I'm making my first GB; nothing flash, just the Coopers kit and a kilo of raw sugar. I'm fermenting in the old barrel style Coopers fermenter, no airlock - just some tin foil jammed loosely in the hole. Checked in on it today (day 7) and the sample I took seems like its carbonated. At first I thought I had a stuck ferment as the hydrometer reading was still up near OG and I never really noticed a krausen form during the week. But then I noticed the little bubbles pushing the hydrometer slowly up and up in the tube, causing my reading to be massively off. I've left it out for a bit and it now reads a more sensible 1011 (which still seems a little high). Just curious if anyone else has seen this? I guess its possible if the co2 wasn't escaping the little hole in the lid fast enough but seemed strange to me. I guess I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. Anyone know roughly how long this should take to get to FG at 18°C?
  2. I use gelatin on every batch now. 1/2 tsp in 150ml of water. Zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring with a glass thermometer until the temp gets up to 70°C. Tip straight into the FV during cold crash. Does what it says on the box. Clearer beer. MUCH less sediment if you bottle condition. Can't comment on losing flavour, I haven't been brewing long enough to have an opinion on that. But my beer looks and tastes good to me so I don't see any reason not to use it.
  3. TehCrucible


    Hahaha YES! From the first batch' date=' I knew I would come hate bottling and started planning the move to kegs. This morning marks hopefully the last full batch I will ever bottle. The final pieces of my DIY keezer should arrive next week and then I expect to slip into a blissful existence of endless cold beer on tap, leaving behind the haunting memory of those little blue bottling wands ([i']WHY ARE THEY SO BLOODY SLOW!!?!?![/i])
  4. For what it's worth, I've put wort in the fridge to cool for an hour or so before pitching yeast with no dramas. My tap water comes out at ~30° most days so my trick is to have 20L of cold water handy on brew day to make sure I can hit the pitching temp right away.
  5. There's a pretty good write up here.
  6. As I understand it, dextrose ferments out fully so it will do nothing for your final gravity. It will increase your original gravity (and in turn, increase the alcohol content) but your beer should finish just as dry as without it. Dex doesn't add much to a beer other than alcohol from what I've seen.
  7. Hell yes I do. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that there's someone brewing 4000L of beer in Antarctica...
  8. Something like this method? I've been meaning to try that one. I'd like to be able to experiment with some proper lager yeasts but like you' date=' don't like the idea of the long turnaround (or the idea of the power consumed to ferment at 10° in the heat up here!) Either way, I'm curious to see how your US-05 experiment turns out! [img']sideways[/img]
  9. Just realized I've been posting here for a few months and never did the introduction thing. Hi all, I'm Jamie. Late twenties. Live in Cairns and work in IT. Reasonably new to brewing but drawing on the experience of family members and loving every minute of it. Well and truely fallen down the rabbit hole so to speak. Doing extract brews at the moment and starting to find my groove with that but looking to try out all-grain in the near future. Found you all to be a friendly and knowledgeable lot so far so cheers for that!
  10. I too have an Ollie, although she's a probably a bit more of a handful than yours, Kelsey. When she's not being ridiculously photogeneic or getting underfoot while I'm carrying litres of hot wort, she enjoys barking at the neighbours, licking cane toads and long walks on the beach we are lucky enough to live beside. We've had her since she was a pup and while she's my best mate, she's also a constant source of anxiety as she doesn't get along with other dogs real well.
  11. Just to second Lusty with an anecdote: I asked this exact same question on AHB last week and got a thread full of replies from guys using 650ss' with only as much line as they need to get from keg to tap. Yet to test this myself, ordering parts this week if all goes to plan...
  12. I must be part of the minority then, as the drops have been working fine for me. Two drops in the standard 740ml brown bottles gives me decent carbonation in two or three weeks. I think the key is patience (admittedly, the hardest thing about homebrewing for me). Make sure fermentation is properly finished before bottling. I cold crash my beer so it's not uncommon for the yeast to take a few extra days to wake up, pushing it out to three weeks before I get good carbonation. If you burn through fermentation in 5 days, bottle and then crack one a week later "just to test", you can't expect a very good beer lol. The only "tip" I can suggest is have a helper on hand if possible. Those blue bottle fillers tend to leak and it gets a bit fiddly trying to fill a bottle with one hand while adding drops and capping with the other.
  13. I am a firm believer that forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Sounds like my setup is pretty similar to the other guys here. ~400L all-fridge with a keg king temp controller. Fits two big Coopers fermenters with the lids on or two big and two craft series with glad wrap for lids. I find it kicks in for maybe 5 or 10 mins maybe every 2 hours to keep my beer at 18, and that's in > 30°C ambient temps. I did the maths on my compressor and that's working out to around 7c a day. Small price to pay in my opinion.
  • Create New...