Coopers Community

Collecting long neck bottles

LunaticSoup

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've been buying coopers long necks from dan murphys, usually sparkling ale to accumulate some good glass bottles. They are about $55 per carton of 12 and pale ale is around $50. I prefer to collect bottles this way so I know they are new, clean and strong and I can enjoy the beer inside too.

I was wondering if any one knows of any other cheaper beers of decent quality that come in crown seal long neck bottles worthy of re using for home brew? or are coopers the best for re using?

Also dan murphys website displays coopers mild ale long necks for $2.50 but it says they are unavailable. Has any one seen these around or do they not come in long necks anymore?

Cheers guys.

yeah, it is rather difficult to find sturdy stubbies. its a shame coopers stubbies have no refill on them as they are significantly cheaper. might have a taste of the hop hog to try something different seeing as I can still re use the bottles. still keeping my eyes out for some good value long necks though.

thanks for your replies king.

I'm doing the same thing as you, LoonySoup. The other good thing about buying Coopers is you can use the yeast from the bottles to make Coopers Pale/Sparkling clones if that's what you like to drink.

I wondered about the 330/375 stubbies, though. Are there any commercial producers of 330/375 stubbies whose bottles are able to be safely reused? I've never heard of Hop Hog... need to check that out.

Hi Mr F.

Not too sure of any beers that come in re usable stubbies, besides hop hog which Ruddager mentioned. They are about 60 bucks at dans for a case of 16 though so it is a bit dearer than coopers. hopefully some one on the forum knows of a good value alternative.

As for reusing coopers commercial yeast, this is something I am interested in doing. Any idea how much would be needed for a 23L brew? Would a carton worth be sufficient? I'm sure if I dig through the forums I will find my answer.

Cheers

I wondered about the 330/375 stubbies' date=' though. Are there any commercial producers of 330/375 stubbies whose bottles are able to be safely reused? I've never heard of Hop Hog... need to check that out. [/quote']

I've never found a 375mL stubby that I've thought was sturdy enough to be reused, although I am setting quite a high standard I think.

The Hop Hog is by the Feral Brewery in Western Australia.

As for reusing coopers commercial yeast' date=' this is something I am interested in doing. Any idea how much would be needed for a 23L brew? Would a carton worth be sufficient? I'm sure if I dig through the forums I will find my answer.

Cheers[/quote']

Hey mate, a 6 pack of Mild Ale or Pale Ale will be enough for a 23lt brew. Directions can be found here --> How do I reactivate Coopers Commercial Yeast?

In regards to tallies, are you interested in using a mixture of glass & PET? At the moment Coopers online are selling 15 x 740 ml reusable PET bottles with caps for around $15 - including free delivery within Oz.

Cheers + beers,

Mark.

Awesome. Great information there mate, very helpful.

I think I might get a few boxes of PETs as a back up so I can still bottle when im out of glass bottles. If shipping is free on them I think that will seal the deal.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I've been collecting some glass bottles recently too - have a go at the Crabbie's ginger beer 500ml bottles (normally expensive, but I scored 3 free cases as part of a subscription) if you can get them from someone. I also procured a bunch of Moa Five Hop and St Josephs 375ml bottles (the ones with corks in them) which are probably the thickest stubby bottles I've ever seen. Some bloody good beer too, but only worth it when it's on clearance (I got mine for ~$3 each).

• 2 months later...

I have been collecting Heineken 25cl bottles for my next brew. I thought glass was glass. Do you think they will work?

Has anyone seen the Kickstarter ad for the uKeg? A pressurised growler from Growlerwerks. Looks like a great idea to take your beer to the next bbq.

Cheers,

Peggy

I have been collecting Heineken 25cl bottles for my next brew. I thought glass was glass. Do you think they will work?

G'day Peggy. They will work' date=' but the catch with those is they are green, so you will have to keep your beer away from UV light or risk skunking. Have a listen to this podcast for more detail if you like. Brown bottles will protect your beer better.

Cheers,

John

• 2 months later...

digging up old post,

but.....i too am saving up my longies, i refuse to get freebees (picture me slurring badly on a tuesday night "must drink beeeeeeer")

and i do enjoy a coopers mild in a stubbie, but that does not help my cause.....

i have seen dan murphs advertise coopers mild longnecks, yet says they are unavailable.

do they actually exist? if so where can they be purchased from? if not, why does the internet lie to me?

cheers

No idea about Coopers mild in tallies..

Breweries used to re-use their bottles in the same way us home brewers do. However, back then stubbies didn't exist as far as I know. Nowadays it's cheaper and I would guess more efficient to make single use bottles and simply melt them down to make new bottles each time, hence why you don't get re usable stubbies from buying commercial beer. Not that it stops people re using them though. I do myself without any issues (except one batch, but that was a yeast issue).

You can buy reusable stubbies from homebrew shops, but they are only 330mL which I personally think is a shit size. Only feels like half a glass of beer. lol

digging up old post' date='

but.....i too am saving up my longies, i refuse to get freebees (picture me slurring badly on a tuesday night "must drink beeeeeeer")

and i do enjoy a coopers mild in a stubbie, but that does not help my cause.....

i have seen dan murphs advertise coopers mild longnecks, yet says they are unavailable.

do they actually exist? if so where can they be purchased from? if not, why does the internet lie to me?

cheers[/quote']

G'day Dylan

I have seen them around can't remember where though I do know they exist.

Cheers

digging up old post' date='

cheers[/quote']

G'day Dylan

I have seen them around can't remember where though I do know they exist.

Cheers

sweet cheers, at least my search isnt futile at this stage, whilst im having a semi whing, why dont they make coopers dark ale in a longneck! someone push that up the chain would ya! lol i dont ask much do i.

Mild Ale 750ml were made for a short period of time as a trial to test the market. They didn't move as fast as we hoped so they've been deleted off production scheduling...what's out in the retail market is all that's gonna be. sad

damn shame,

whilst i have your attention PB2, can you tell me why on this forum i cant seem to be able to head directly to the last post in a thread? seems there is either no option for this seems, i have to click on the thread title or the name of the person who last posted on the thread, but it takes me to the 1st post of the entire thread everytime? rather frustrating lol..... one for the coopers tech heads maybe? or am i just doing something wrong?

cheers

Hi PB2, I hope you are well. smile

Mild Ale 750ml were made for a short period of time as a trial to test the market. They didn't move as fast as we hoped so they've been deleted off production scheduling...what's out in the retail market is all that's gonna be. sad

Working in the retail sector that is prized with selling this product & many others' date=' Coopers have failed in their effort to promote this beer & to a certain degree, still do in the other packaging sizes they promote with this line.

In the longneck market you are competing with established brands accepted at certain price points for the well known 3-pack. So if wanting to move a midstrength beer into this market & have it be successful, what would be a good strategy?

1. Undercut the fullstrength wholesale market price. (Easy)

2. Have your sales reps enforce an importance on pushing this product. (Easy)

3. Offer incentives to liquor groups on buying volumes of this incentive that encourages their managers to ask their staff to push the sale of this product ahead of other competitor related products. (Easy)

4. The "lower octane doesn't mean less grunt" tag could do with some revision though. How about, "lower octane, but more grunt!"? That message doesn't put down the beer, & only elevates it!

I've taste tested Coopers Mild Ale with real people against it's main competitors & it wins hands down on the flavour stakes.

You have a great product in this area of the market Coopers. Have the guts to take a hit on price point, & have your sales reps push it down the line with your domestic customers.

Get some "grunt" about how you promote it & watch it go! Easy win over time (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

• 1 month later...

Archived