Coopers Community

Recipes using Amber malt Can

I bought a few cans of 1.5 kg amber malt cans (Coopers) instead of Pale Malt and need some suggestions about how to use them. Eg adding them to a Thomas Cooper Irish Stout? Dark Ale? Any help recipe wise appreciated. Have had a look at a few but most seem to be Brown Ale types of beers.

Chubby Cherub, probably the best brew I've ever done.

It's under the ale part of the website.

Amber malt probably goes better in the darker ales as that's the main intention of using a darker, but not dark dark malt.

Unsure about using it in stouts

Alex

Umm, your last post?

Chubby, Cascarillo, JS Amber are not dark or English style.

Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale would be a good one too.

The ROTM could well be easily adapted to use a can of that with the APA.

Amber is Pale with Crystal.

Umm' date=' your last post?

Chubby, Cascarillo, JS Amber are not dark or English style.

Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale would be a good one too.

The ROTM could well be easily adapted to use a can of that with the APA.

Amber is Pale with Crystal.[/quote']

I would have put JS Amber Ale in the English Style category.

I would have put JS Amber Ale in the English Style category.

Yes' date=' research does lend me to think that too.,[/quote']

Yep, but it isn't a big deal. I think the good point you were trying to make was that amber malt can be used in a variety of styles.

I haven't tried them but the Cascarillo Amber Ale and Parity Amber Ale in the recipe database look good.

I'm drinking a batch of Parity Amber Ale at the moment, it is delicious. Everyone that's had a glass has enjoyed it too. Super easy brew to boot.

If you want to go all out I think the Celebration Ale uses a can of Amber LME too.

Add it to a can of Real Ale or IPA and steep and dry hop with a heap of either Cascade/Amarillo/ Citra/ Centenial or a combination.

Ferment with US 05 for a big fruity red American Style IPA

Throw some extra dex in for a real hatlifter if you want.

Hey I know, what about Chad's "Big Island IPA"

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade' date=' N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)[/quote']

A question about the oak chips - does "sprinkled at ferment" mean just after the yeast is pitched or when fermentation is complete?

Also, do you think it would affect much if the full 1.5kg tin of amber LME was used and the light DME was reduced accordingly? I guess that would mean 300g of light DME. I'd also probably consider making a 23L batch using 500g of light DME and perhaps 25g cascade at 30 (ie. an extra 5g) ...

Hi King.

A question about the oak chips - does "sprinkled at ferment" mean just after the yeast is pitched or when fermentation is complete?

In the absence of Chad' date=' & having brewed his Big Island IPA a number of times, & used the oak chips in numerous other brews, simply throw the oak chips in loose with your brew wort & give a good stir, PRIOR to pitching your yeast.

P.S. Does anyone want to see my old avatar picture again of Chad's Big Island IPA still in the fermenter? [img']lol[/img]

Good luck with the brew Ruddy, it's a delicious beer! cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

In my experiences I end up with a bit of both. Some remain floating while others sink down into the trub. Maybe it's got something to do with them being all different shapes & sizes that some become "water logged" more easily & sink quicker. unsure

The American Oak chips I purchased for the most part are quite chunky. There are always a few flecks/splinters in the pre-packaged bags though. I removed the larger chunks one by one from the bag to limit the amount of smallish splinters & finer particles of wood from being deposited in the brew wort.

Of the six or so brews I've done with the wood chips now, I only had a problem with them once. While I was bottling, a piece got stuck in the tap inlet & jammed the tap in the 'ON' position. I lost about 50-100mls before my brain kicked into gear & tilted the FV backwards to stop it pouring beer everywhere & dislodge the wood chip. I can laugh about it now. pinchedlol

Also if you are concerned about any sanitation type issues with using the oak chips, simply throw them in towards the end (or at the end) of your hop boil to kill off any perceived nasties. wink

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

Archived