Coopers Community

It's Time To End The Craft Beer Revolution.

Beerlust

Jack Franklin: It's time to end the craft beer revolution.

I'll be interested in any comments. wink

...The lesson is that beer and wine should never be the conversation; they should be something you drink while you have one.

Jack Franklin

Let's see how this works now:

noisy bar' date=' cold night, roaring fire, and well-away...[/i']

Conversation topics -

Politics? Pointless - we all know which side we back anyway!

Religion? - ditto!

Sex? - Well they say that those who can, do, and those who can't, talk about it. So who's gonna start the ball rolling by talking about it?

Um, I know, cars! Who's gunna win Bathurst this year d'ya reckon? A V8 or another V8 - boring!

Ahh (struggling a bit now)... Anyway, whatdyareckons better - a Ford or a Holden? See points 1 and 2.

Ah, d'yareckon all NRL refs should be banished to Tasmania then? Ah, dunno - I follow the other code!

AHH (scratching head now) I know! - Had any good beers lately..............................biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I have to say, at least it's an original opinion from a journalist, rather than the usual copy and paste job you get in the newspaper and news feeds these days.

I disagree with his opinion, not all craft beer drinkers, nor home brewers want to be all in your face and judgmental about what others are drinking, but some certainly are like that.

I reckon there's room for disagreement, difference of opinion, and difference in personal taste when it comes to just about everything.

What's right for one person may not suit another, and that doesn't make one better than the other, just different in personal taste and choice, and that's okay.

I also reckon that although the popularity of microbreweries, craft beers, and independent labels will wax and wane over the years, it will be a sad day indeed if commercial interests ever put an end to to the little guys making quality beers, and not trying necessarily to outsell the big labels; we've seen what happens there with Hahn, Blue Tongue, James Squire etc; stay small and it's a struggle, get too big and you have the choice of being bought out or going broke.

At the end of the day what it really comes down to is making and drinking good beer, and although it's sad when the big international labels buy up and close down the small breweries, at least the choices in the pubs, bottle shops, and restaurants are much better these days, thanks to the influence of the craft beers.

Even the megaswill makers try their hand at different styles, some more successfully than others.

I still think Pils and TED are drinkable and sessionable, but obviously not in the same class as a Little Creatures, or the like.

Drink what you want, but just remember, it would be a boring bland world if everyone drank the same beer, regardless of if it were VB, Fosters, Tooheys, Blue Tongue, Little Creatures, Redback, Hahn Premium, or Coopers, and whether it was all lager, ale, megaswill or homebrew.

By all means disagree, discuss, argue, or be quiet about it, but at least the variety of choice available means we can all find the brew we like, and try others for a change now and again.

Just because someone says a beer is no good is no reason not to try it, after all everyone's taste buds are different, and no opinion should preclude you from trying something for yourself to see if it seems right to you.

If everyone just went on doing the same thing all the time everything would stagnate, and the world would be dead boring.

After all, if homebrewing teaches you one thing, it's that having the chance to try a variety of styles keeps the hobby of brewing - and drinking - interesting.

• 2 months later...

So the guy who wrote this pretentious guff is a self-styled misanthrope...definition of misanthrope...a hater of humankind.Fair enough,there's a lot to hate about humankind,but if that's the case why did he bother putting pen to paper so to speak.If you don't like people...well,stay away from them and that includes not writing,bloated, pointless, wandering articles that seem to set out to do nothing but bring other people down.He'd probably be a lot happier if...for God knows what reason...we all wanted to talk about him.Why not just live and let live?

I've gotta say, even though I didn't like the article, I sort of agree with some of what the guy is saying.

I will usually drink a nice tasty craft beer over a commercial offering, and I definitely prefer a good home brew to anything I will find out and about. But as for the whole "we must educate the megaswillers" attitude? I think that's fairly pretentious. It's like people who are vegetarians trying to tell the rest of us how to eat. Most of them won't, because they realise that it is their choice, and that the rest of us are allowed to make ours. If a vegetarian sat down next to you at a restaurant and started telling you that your medium scotch fillet was 'murderous colon-poison' you would think them an arrogant twat. Well, news flash: that's probably how we seem to people who are quite happy drinking their VB.

I know plenty of people who have a staple commercial beer that they have stuck to for twenty years or more. They will try a different beer if recommended to them, but in most cases will return to what they love after that. Why should these people be scoffed at by people like us, just because they know what they want and would prefer to stick to it?

Anyway, rant over, but let's all just be content to like what we like, and let other people like what they like.

On a 40c day I've even been known to enjoy whatever yellow fizz is on tap and cold, and I don't feel like uneducated scum because of it. wink

I've gotta say' date=' even though I didn't like the article, I [i']sort of[/i] agree with some of what the guy is saying.

I will usually drink a nice tasty craft beer over a commercial offering, and I definitely prefer a good home brew to anything I will find out and about. But as for the whole "we must educate the megaswillers" attitude? I think that's fairly pretentious. It's like people who are vegetarians trying to tell the rest of us how to eat. Most of them won't, because they realise that it is their choice, and that the rest of us are allowed to make ours. If a vegetarian sat down next to you at a restaurant and started telling you that your medium scotch fillet was 'murderous colon-poison' you would think them an arrogant twat. Well, news flash: that's probably how we seem to people who are quite happy drinking their VB.

I know plenty of people who have a staple commercial beer that they have stuck to for twenty years or more. They will try a different beer if recommended to them, but in most cases will return to what they love after that. Why should these people be scoffed at by people like us, just because they know what they want and would prefer to stick to it?

Anyway, rant over, but let's all just be content to like what we like, and let other people like what they like.

On a 40c day I've even been known to enjoy whatever yellow fizz is on tap and cold, and I don't feel like uneducated scum because of it. wink

But we are still allowed to look down on them, right? innocent

OK' date=' boys,

The consensus is that you drink what you wanna drink. Always was like that and always will be.[/quote']

No one's arguing that fact John, I'm just saying we don't have to be twats about it like many craft beer lovers are. I'm fairly sure that was the gist of the article.

Also when' date=' and to hell with SWMBO![/quote']

Hairy is talking about us going soft & the King is making comments like this crying

Permission to be confused?? sad

K-Rudd's stance isn't about being hard or soft, more kamikaze w00t

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It seems that everyone wants to get on the Craft Brew band wagon, or at least gain a benefit from it. Case in point Crown Golden Ale, it's actually not as good as Crown Lager. It has no taste and has the consistency of water. Tonight at a Bistro I had a Coopers Pale Ale which I must admit seemed a little sedate after my pre dinner homebrew, anyways grabbed a Crown Golden and I as I was drinking it I was thinking how good was that Coopers. Grabbed another Coopers and it was like the whole Ale enlightenment all over again. I am doubting that the Crown is an Ale at all, or perhaps SO5 brewed at 15 degrees with no aroma or flavour additions, granted it was darker that the lager

Brew at Home

Scottie

G'day Valley Brew, it seems Hairy & Beerlust agree with you. wink

Crown Golden Ale: I seriously don't know why they bothered. Yeah it's golden in colour & that's about it. Poor head' date=' poor carbonation, poor lacing, no obvious hop aroma or flavour. The malt bill was OK I suppose but not dissimilar to that of Crown Lager. The main hop may have been changed from what is used in the lager, but it was so subdued it was hard to tell to be honest. A very tame & lifeless beer (IMHO).

As Gary Lyon would say, "Poor, poor, poor!" Let's just say I won't be buying one of these again. [img']wink[/img]

I called into Dan's today and they were offering taste tests of the Crown Golden Ale.

It was truly awful sicksicksick

I don't mean that it was just bland and not something I usually enjoy. I mean it was horrible and I was looking for something to wash my mouth out with.

It was quite evil. I think it may have been made from the urine of the devil devil

I hope I just got a bad one.

Cheers.

Archived