Coopers Community

Need some general advise

anthony

BE1 came in my kit' date=' its been sitting at 1016 for a few days now[/quote']

G'day Anthony

I brewed with BE1 twice, I still remember. The first one with the Lager I measured at 1.016 when finished. The second one with the IPA kit finished at 1.010. There is no logical reason for the difference except that I didn't degas either one and my DIY hydrometer was out.

Two things for you to do, check that you degas the sample and check your hydrometer in water.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks everyone for all the advice. Just finished bottling and have them sitting im the cupboard. ill let you know the results in a couple of weeks

not sure if this is taboo or not on this forum but im brewing a non coopers wheat beer tonight. the guy at the brew shop recommended it to me. reckons it tastes like hoegarden. ill let you know how that turns out

Thanks Hairy for your advice re cold crashing. It was Soundawake's Pacific Ale and it turned out great. Crystal clear and tasted magnificent straight out of the FV. It seems cold crashing is the way to go. Presently have a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone on the go and will follow your advice re the two week process, it certainly works.

Cheers

Thanks Hairy for your advice re cold crashing. It was Soundawake's Pacific Ale and it turned out great. Crystal clear and tasted magnificent straight out of the FV. It seems cold crashing is the way to go. Presently have a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone on the go and will follow your advice re the two week process, it certainly works.

Cheers

No problems T-Fount. I'm glad it turned out ok (and I am off the hook).

What is your recipe for the SN Pale Ale?

My Lager+BE1 that came with the coopers kit finished at 1014 I think, definitely not 1008 as implied in the instructions. I agitated the FV when it seemed stuck at 1018 and got it down a few points.

My samples sat for at least an hour or longer, so pretty flat.

Bottled into PET's and none were anywhere near exploding.

All finished now even if a bit green...everyone enjoyed it more than me :|

Gluten free [surprised

I would be dry hopping that baby with some gluten to make it taste better [biggrin]

I wet hopped and dry hopped the sh1t out of it, don't worry, I've ceovered up the lack of gluten. Why does everyone only make pale ales and lagers gluten free? The IPA in the FV is gonna shame them all. It is also 8% ABV

Without starting a new thread....I thought that I saw a recipe for Cider using Cerveza can. Does anyone know of this or was this one of my HB induced dreams[innocent] .

I am pretty sure it was Canadian Eh!L. It is probably easier getting him to re-post it then to use the search function here.

Edit: thinking back, it may have been a ginger beer recipe with the cerveza kit.

Hey All,

This one is waiting bottling @ 7 days in the PV and 10 days in the carboy. The OG was 1.042 the SG sits @ 1.010 I'll take another sample tonight, but I think it's done.

Ginger beer

1.7 Mex. Cervesa (added @ end of boil)

566g Amber LME

500g DME

578g Honey (added @ 5mins left on the boil)

500g Fresh Ginger root (pounded & boiled for 20mins)

25L water (22L boil with extract) then topped up to 25L

2 Lemons (halved, squeezed & added to the boil @ 20mins)

12g Cascade 5.3% 20mins

10g Amarillo 7.8% 20mins

8g Citra 13% 20mins

1/2 Tablet of Irish Moss (10mins)

7g packet of Cooper's y. as nutrient (10mins)

US-05 repitched from slurry @ 24C

This ones a good one. It's a fun brew with the additions of the lemons, honey and ginger. The fresh fruit and root gives this brew a crisp refreshingtaste with the sweetness of the late honey.

[joyful]

Check it out![rightful]

Hairy here's the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe.

STEEP.

113 gm Crystal Malt - crushed

1.9L at 65deg for 30mins

STRAIN & SPARGE

1.9L Sparge @ 65deg

BOIL.

Add 1.9L and all into brew pot (5.7L total)bring to boil

Remove from stove and add

3kg Light DME

113gm Maltodextrin

28gm Galaxy

BOIL.

Boil for 45 mins then add 14gm Tettnanger.

BOIL.

Boil for 14 mins then add 28gm Cascade

COOL & PITCH.

Boil for 1 min. Remove pot from stove and cool 15 mins and strain into FV. Add water to 20L total volume. Pitch American Ale yeast at 20 deg.

FERMENT.

Ferment at 18 deg

DRY HOP.

Dry hop at day 7 with

14gm Cascade

14gm Galaxy.

COLD CRASH.

SPECS

Yield 20L

OG 1.058 - 1.059

FG 1.015 - 1.016

IBU 32

SRM 17

ABV 5.5%

Hey Trab,

That recipe looks like a good one but if you don't mind me saying it doesn't look much like a SNPA.

I have to run for dinner but I'll comment futher, later.

Hi,

I'm back[innocent]. As I was saying I see the SNPA a little different. The reason I am bringing this up is a spent a bit of time researching the brew as it is one of my favs. I just built a recipe myself yesterday. Again I am not knocking your recipe, Trab. I'm just throwing some comments on the brew as I see it.

This I what I have gathered on the spec for SNPA.

OG 1.052 FG 1.012 IBU 37 SRM 11

Malts:

2-row pale/ light Crystal

Hops:

Bittering Perle, Magnum

Finishing Cascade (lots)

Yeast

W 1056 or similar

What do you guys think? Any other SNPA clones out there?

That recipe isn't too unlike one I made up the other day Chad [lol] Although I wasn't trying to clone SNPA. I do enjoy that brew though so I'd be interested to see what people come up with. My recipe went like this:

5.3kg JW Traditional Ale Malt

.25kg Munich I Malt

.25kg Wheat Malt

.20kg Caramalt

20g Cascade (FWH 75 min)

10g Super Galena @ 60 mins

20g Cascade @ 20 mins

20g Willamette @ 10 mins

10g Cascade @ 5 mins

Started with 35 litres of water, 80 min mash, pre-boil volume 32 litres, post boil about 27-28 ish litres. Probably get 25-26L into the fermenter. I'll be using US-05 yeast in this one.

This one will also be my first brew using my brewfridge, and my first experience of cold crashing, so I'm looking forward to getting it going. [biggrin]

This is what I was thinking:

OG 1.052 FG 1.012 IBU 37 SRM 11

4.3Kg Pale Malt Or equivilant DME Light

.3 Kg Crystal 40L

.1 Kg Wheat Malt

5g Magnum 11.3% (60mins FWH)

17g Perle 8.6% (60mins FWH)

25g Cascade 6.4% (15 mins)

20g Cascade 6.4% (Dry hop pellets but should be wholeflowers)

US-05

21L

I haven't made this one yet but It's next in line for me.

NOTE: I don't believe SNPA has Wheat Malt in the original recipe but I threw it in there cause you Aussies are always chucking it in your recipes. I thought I should let the blind lead the blind with that one![sideways]

I whacked the APA brew in the tub full of ice water yesterday i just checked it and it was at 14c...this wont ruin the yeast will it??i suspect its more bulletproof than that but it caught me by surprise a lil bit..ive taken it out with just a towell round it for now til i get it back up to 18c again, cheers Ned

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys, I am first time brewer and using coopers DIY 23 ltr kit and brewing lager. I added only 20 litre water instead of 23 and just realised after 5 nights it has been brewing under primary fermentation . Current hydrometer reading is 1028. OG was 1040. I am wondering if I can still add 3 ltr water before bottling the beer. It smells ok not tasted though. I might taste tomorrow when take out sample.

The tempretur was between 22-24 degrees all time (mostly 22 degree C).

Please advise if can and water And what FG is should be expecting in this case as water ratio is not as per recipe.

I'd just leave it as is, it'll concentrate the flavour a bit more which is probably a good thing with that kit. I'd expect the FG around 1.015-16 give or take with that recipe and volume.

I'm glad this thread came up, it just reminded me when I first used the fridge to ferment in. I thought I'd begun using it in the latter part of 2012 but it appears I did a few batches of all grain before I started using the fridge. lol

Archived