Coopers Community

Need some general advise

anthony

I just change the settings on the temp controller to 2 degrees. As simple as that; no racking to another vessel, it is just left in primary.

The cooler temps will speed up the yeast settling in the FV and clearing the beer.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Hairy appreciate your help. I also used a stocking to dry hop as you suggested and I'm anxious to taste the final result.

Cheers

The pressure is on now; it's all my fault if it doesn't work [biggrin]

You are in a win/win situation. If it turns out great then Trabfountain did a top job, if it turns out crap then it was all that damn Hairy's fault.

Let us know how it turns out.

all good hairy we wont blame you ....much[lol]

just to mention iam bottling not kegging. seems everyone has different views on cold crashing. i guess i can make 2 batches at the same time and cold crash one then compare, i see this as a win win as i should be fully stocked after that [innocent]

I am sure it will turn out fantastic. A lot of it mainly depends on what styles of beers you like.

I didn't particularly like the can that came with the kit (not saying it was bad or I stuffed up) bu I didn't enjoy it. My father in law however thought it was one of the better beers.

Just remember to keep good records of all these things and if you don't like something then you will have a record of what went wrong.

Its a big bag of experiments for you now. Wait till you start steeping hops and having a sip just to find out what flavours they give the beer.

I'm really looking forward to fermenting my first batch in my newly acquired brewing fridge. I only have a Porter cubed at the moment, planning on making up another American pale ale on Saturday. I'm wondering if there's any point in cold crashing/crash cooling whatever it's called the porter since it's so dark it wouldn't make a lot of difference. So I might even ferment the pale first so I can try CCing and see the effect of it better. [biggrin]

Is just me or does this stick on thermostat not really work. Why I ask this question? It seems like the outside environment gives a false reading of the inside temp...

Is it just me or has any one else also notice it? As soon as I have a wet towel over it the temp drop. As soon as i take it away it goes up to the room temp.

Mine works fine. The only way it wouldn't work is if it was stuck on the fermenter above the level of the beer. Last brew I had my FV in a tub full of water and frozen bottles/ice blocks etc, the stick on thermometer was above the level of the water but within the level of the beer inside and it was reading 18-20-22, whatever it was at the time, ambient room temp was about 30-32. [unsure]

Mine works fine. The only way it wouldn't work is if it was stuck on the fermenter above the level of the beer. Last brew I had my FV in a tub full of water and frozen bottles/ice blocks etc' date=' the stick on thermometer was above the level of the water but within the level of the beer inside and it was reading 18-20-22, whatever it was at the time, ambient room temp was about 30-32. [unsure']

i just ran in to check on mine to make sure. my entire thermometer is above the water line, beer line is above the thermometer and temp is sitting pretty on 18 just creeping to 20

That will be fine Ned. I actually stuck mine on horizontal so I could fill the tub up further without it coming in contact with the thermometer. But I guess I don't have to worry anymore since I sorted out a fridge. [lol]

bloody showoff lol[biggrin] im getting another coopersfv soon ill do the same with thermometer with that also...horizontal..i fluked this one lol

Today may be possibly one of hte best days of my life.

# days straight ive been taking a reading of 1.016 [happy]

Im going to bottle these suckers on Sunday. OG 1.040 FG 1.016

So i guess my alcohol % is 3.7%.

Is that right

1.016 seems too high for the Lager kit. What else went into it?

If it is BE1 then it contains 400g of Maltodextrin so it won't get really low. Probably 1013-1014 in a 23 litre brew.

So it isn't too far off. It could have finished at 1016 or the hydrometer is slightly out or not being used correctly.

Are you bottling into glass or PETs?

Anthony, 1016 does seem a bit high.

When you take another sample, tip it from one glass to another a few times to get all the gas out of the sample. Let it sit in the hydro tube for a bit then test the FG.

Also make sure it is at 20 degrees.

Hopefully this will give you a better reading.

Archived