Coopers Community

Need some general advise

anthony

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just to add' date=' if fermentation creates its own heat whats a good temp to set the sensor at. im currently brewing the larger that came in the box[/quote']

I can't really see where the sensor is located in your photo.

I place the sensor against the FV about half way up the liquid. I then place two layers of neoprene (ie. cut up stubby holder) over it and tape it down. This will measure the temp of the wort rather than the fridge air. It then doesn't matter if fermentation creates additional heat because you are measuring the wort.

wow, you dont muck around. i am still using ice blocks in a water bath

Just striking while the irons hot, in relation to the missus[happy]

hi hairy that a great idea, i had the sensor in a glass of water. ill cut a stubby holder and move it to the FV.

any ideas on location for the heat band ?

just to add' date=' if fermentation creates its own heat whats a good temp to set the sensor at. im currently brewing the larger that came in the box[/quote']

I can't really see where the sensor is located in your photo.

I place the sensor against the FV about half way up the liquid. I then place two layers of neoprene (ie. cut up stubby holder) over it and tape it down. This will measure the temp of the wort rather than the fridge air. It then doesn't matter if fermentation creates additional heat because you are measuring the wort.

Hey Hairy, i just use masking tape to stick the sensor to the FV. Do you really think insulating with neoprene of coolite makes any diff? the read out on the stc 1000 is always + or - 0.5 deg of set temp during prmary, which doesnt seem like much to worry about

No idea if it makes a difference but I have always done it. It takes about a minute to strap it all on so I doesn't worry if it makes a difference or not. It won't harm it in any case.

Anthony, the heat belt is fine sitting where it is on the glass. I don't know if it would melt the plastic but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Someone else may be able to comment.

I use a heat pad and I have it sitting on a wire shelf about 20-30cm below the FV which is sitting on a wooden shelf I made.

My preference is for the heating device to warm the air in the fridge rather than warming the wort by having it in direct contact with the FV.

Great idea hairy, i had the sensor in a glass of water. i have stuck it to the fv as you suggested and there was definitely a difference in temp .

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9vE6i5lPVULXEJf6BqkAAtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

i went a little crazy with the electrical tape as it wasn't sticking. i think ill grab some duct tape for the next batch.

hopefully the band will heat the fridge were it is as i don't feel comfortable hanging it as it might hit the plastic. wil see how i go .

thanks for the good advice

you will go through loads of tape that way.. ok in an emergency but in the long run you want something like ocky straps to hold it in place.. buy it once and will last your brewing lifetime and only cost you the once [ninja]

Looking good BTW

Ok day 2 , fridge is working perfectly and my brew is sitting nicely at 20C.

there's some good foam forming however i have noticed in 2 spots on top of foam there's some little brown spots like malt ?, is this bad maybe infection or am i tripping out ?

there's some good foam forming however i have noticed in 2 spots on top of foam there's some little brown spots like malt ?, is this bad maybe infection or am i tripping out ?

All normal mate. And they all look different. Sometimes they look like cat vomit but it is still ok.

Just relax mate. Go and have a beer. [biggrin]

Hey Anthony. This is what my setup is like, using a heat belt wrapped around 2 terractotta pots. It works great. I've since remade my shelf cos the plastic shelf wasn't strong enough. You can see i was reinforcing it with some bits of wood in the photo - now it's a wooden shelf wioth air holes drilled all through it.

Anxee_0CIAEDhJb.jpg

Good morning everyone,

today ive just removed the Krausen kollar, and i must say it was very easy to clean.

The missus recons it didn't take her long at all. LOL jokes

i took a quick gravity reading and it sat at 1021 not sure if that good or bad. took a cheeky little sip, surprisingly it tastes like beer, just flat and watery.

i think this might actually work. ill take another reading on friday and saturday and see what happens

It could be bubbles in the sample that are pushing up the hydrometer and giving you a higher false reading. You will need to de-gas the sample before measuring.

Either let the sample sit there for a while or tip the sample back and forth between two cups. Then give the hydrometer a spin when you place it in the sample tube.

So from the looks of it' date=' nobody seems to put the belt around the FV. Is it bad to have it in direct contact? I know it's bad to be heating the yeast cake directly (ie. heat pads) but is it bad to have it wrapped 1/3 the way up the FV heating the liquid? [unsure']

I have mine wrapped around the FV. It's fine [happy]

In this pic, the STC1000 is being used for the FV on top at the back, but you get the idea...

14012013421_zps99e51fba.jpg

ill do a search on how to take a proper reading' date=' does anyone have any advise[/quote']

First, check your hydrometer. It should read 1.000 in water at 20C.

If it's working correctly, pour some of the brew into a trial jar, shake it, put the hydrometer in, spin it, take a reading.

Friday, Saturday im going to start monitoring the FG.

I have search hi and low in this and other forums and im almost scared to ask THE QUESTION, but here it goes

after i reach a constant FG over 2 days should i let my brew sit for another week ? maybe even cold crash ? im not in a hurry, just want a good tasting beer. I've made a decision that i will not be transferring it to a second vessel.

Your thoughts please

Once FG has been achieved, leave it for a few more days and crash chill it around 2 degrees for a few days.

You will take your reading on the weekend but you may have in fact achieved FG sometime before that.

Generally I try to work on a 2 week cycle. If all goes to plan the brew is left at fermentation temps for 1.5 weeks and at 2 degrees for half a week. I do check that I have reached FG though.

I've got my first brew in a temp controlled fridge and it's now been a week and I'll test for FG in a day or so. I'm keen to do whatever is needed to get top tasting beer. I notice your comments Hairy re leaving the brew a few more days and then crash chilling at 2 degrees for a few days. As I'm new to all this how does one crash chill and what is the advantage and can it be without racking to another FV.

Archived