Coopers Community

Need some general advise

anthony

Hi guys first time brewer here and very excited to be on this forum.

today i made my first brew however i could not maintain optimum temperature. my starting temp was 30c i managed to get it down to 26 with a bucket of ice water and a wet towel after 1-2 hours. i know i still need to lower it however im finding very difficult. i have learnt an important lesson, never brew on a hot day.

i just wanted to know have i destroyed my first brew ?

thanking you in advance

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Anthony. I reckon you will probably hear similar horror stories of 1st time brewing from 90% of the members here.

'Destroyed' would be too harsh of a word to use. Like all of us, you will drink it and you will like it as it's your first brew man!

It's not too late to get temps down either. Keep the FV in a tub full of water and freeze loads of water bottles to keep swapping in the water. Plenty of people do this when they start out and have success even in Aussie summers.

Good luck mate.[happy]

EDIT: My fridge was a free hand me down, my temp controller was $22, and the bits to wire it up were about $15. Look into proper tmep control.

welcome Anthony..mate i made brew rough as all get out but recently founbd this site and have decided to "care" abit more about my brew. first one i pitched since starting back was 32c...i too did the wet towelss etc and got it down to about 24.....ive already drunk it and it was fine.....all good...i do the laundry tub and frozen bottles and it goes well at around 18-22. youll get plenty of good advice on here mate...stick at it youll have plenty of fun and plenty of beer. cheers Nedg

As above.. try to get the temps down, when it nearly finished let it get warmer and the yeast will try to get rid of as much 'dammage' as they can..

My first brew ever was done in a similar fashion, 30'c (but for most of the ferment) wasnt the best but inspired me to do better..

I belive I do (now)

thank yourself later for it, go for an "all fridge" big as you can get, at least big enough to fit 2 FV's in... you wont need it this week, but you will in a few months..

Gumtree/ebay your ass off for it.. I always kept an eye on fridges that didnt sell and then sent a messege to them offering less than the auction price [rightful] (and got them)

ed: my spelling is terrible as Ive been out in the shed...

Heres one for Weggl

Ive been out in the shed

Destroyed my bloody Keg

and in the morining

Im gunna have a sore head

**Update**

first brew is sitting at 22-24c.

i can see a lot of residual at the bottom. fermentation might have started but not to sure its been about 6-7 hours.

is the residual at the bottom normal ?

also the missus wanted me to ask a question.

Q. is it normal for a bloke to be drinking in the bathroom with a bottle of scotch watching his brew ??[love]

That temp is much better.

The sediment at the bottom of the FV is totally normal. Most of it will be the cold break.

And yes, perfectly normal to stare at your brew with an alcoholic beverage [cool]

Most people don't do it in the bathroom though [biggrin]

excellent, i guess my next objective is getting a fridge with a contoller, theres no way im risking a brew again with temp. does this mean in winter the wart should be safe in the fridge or will i have to invest in a heating mat?

works given me a bonus this year so the missus has given me the AOK to splurge a little bit in this new venture.

ive only been asking permission .....i mean talking about it for the past year [roll]

conclusion day 1.

absolutely freaked out

temp was to high, after 15-20 min i decided to add the yeast,from what i understand its better to get the yeast in there asap. Manage to get it to 26c after 2 hours with wet towels and fans

5-6 hours later i got it to 22-24.

lots of sediment at the bottom but apparently this is normal.

will check the brew again tomorrow and possibly remove the collar on Monday.

will keep you all posted.

once again excellent forum and thanks for all your help. any suggestions feel free to school me.

now to explain to the missus im sleeping in the bathroom.

Ok so my brew is sitting at 24 degree. i managed to score a free fridge this morning *bonus* so im off to pick up a controller from the keg king. is it ok to move my brew to the fridge and drop the temp to about 20 ?

cheers

Not a problem. A day at 24 deg will get the yeast working hard, so get ther temp down to 20 deg ASAP and leave it for another 5 or 6 days to finish. Wait another 4 or 5 days for the yeast to clean up a bit and then bottle. ake sure you have the same SG reading 24 hours apart though.

Not a problem. A day at 24 deg will get the yeast working hard' date=' so get ther temp down to 20 deg ASAP and leave it for another 5 or 6 days to finish. Wait another 4 or 5 days for the yeast to clean up a bit and then bottle. ake sure you have the same SG reading 24 hours apart though. [/quote']

thanks.

last night i got it down to 24 it was after 7pm i think.

today 22 is slightly blue and 24 is like a dark mustard color. there's heaps of foam from the yeast around the color.

Not a problem. A day at 24 deg will get the yeast working hard' date=' so get ther temp down to 20 deg ASAP and leave it for another 5 or 6 days to finish. Wait another 4 or 5 days for the yeast to clean up a bit and then bottle. ake sure you have the same SG reading 24 hours apart though. [/quote']

thanks.

last night i got it down to 24 it was after 7pm i think.

today 22 is slightly blue and 24 is like a dark mustard color. there's heaps of foam from the yeast around the color.

All sounds good and normal Anthony[cool]

18 to 20 is fine mate

Ok, so i set up my fridge with the temp controller and heat band

you can check out the photo here

my question is will the heat band melt the plastic in the fridge ?

for now ive coiled it on the glass at the bottom shelf disconnected. if i hang it it will most likely touch the barrel any ideas or is this ok

I find the heat circuit is not essential in summer. It will maintain very steady temperature of the liquid with just a cooling circuit. Unless your sensor is in the centre of the liquid mass then you are measuring(and effectively controlling) the surface temperature of the FV which is exposed to the cold air in the fridge.

I never use both for most of the year and did some tests with my digital probe in the centre of the liquid and it shows there is significantly less variation in the centre to what is recorded on the surface.

Archived