Coopers Community

Brewday - Slaughterhouse Brewery - AG IPA Pictorial as it happens

How does everyone get their grains and hops.

I have found people say that it costs bugger all to make a brew, not when I do it. Shipping is a massive killer for me. I know I could get in bulk but that seems expensive as well unless you have people around that will share the buy with you.

Just one of the things that has stopped me from completely moving over to All Grain.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I either buy from Craftbrewer and pay postage or go to my LHBS.

I try to do the latter; I just give him a call, tell him what grains I want and I call in later to collect the crushed grains.

I don't buy in bulk and just buy my grains per brew.

If I buy from Craftbrewer I try to get a few extra things to make the most of the postage.

I guess I'm lucky that I live about half an hour from Craftbrewer. I just drive down there and pick up a 25kg sack of base malt and smaller amounts of other grains I want. I buy hops in bulk online though. It costs me roughly $25-$30 per all grain brew, depending on what I use in it and I get 25 litres per brew, which works out at almost 3 cartons worth of beer.

I live about 15 mins from Beer Belly and 20 mins from Brewmaker.

Spoiled rotten I think you call it. [biggrin]

Get my base malt in 25kg sacks (around $65), hops in 250g baggies for around $18, and I usually buy speccy grain, wheat, munich, etc in 2kg bags for sweet FA.

I don't think it's cheaper at all, but lots more fun! [happy]

I guess I'm lucky that I live about half an hour from Craftbrewer. I just drive down there and pick up a 25kg sack of base malt and smaller amounts of other grains I want. I buy hops in bulk online though. It costs me roughly $25-$30 per all grain brew' date=' depending on what I use in it and I get 25 litres per brew, which works out at almost 3 cartons worth of beer. [/quote']

It would currently cost me around $45 - $50 for that same brew. I should try and visit the LHBS and see if he can do some sort of bulk deal with me. I don't mind purchasing stuff by the sack full but I am not prepared to pay by the pallet full

I guess I'm lucky that I live about half an hour from Craftbrewer.

You lucky bastard! I will be up in brissy briefly over Easter and am eagerly awaiting my visit to craftbrewer(and family)- I will be a broken man if they aren't open on Easter Saturday as I think I will be hitting them up with a big order and moving onto kegging.

I will be hitting them up with a big order and moving onto kegging.

You will not regret it. One of the best moves I have made in brewing. It is a slippery slope Muddy, you will get there get your keg gear and then be walking out the door with a new urn ready to start All-Grain [bandit]

You lucky bastard! I will be up in brissy briefly over Easter and am eagerly awaiting my visit to craftbrewer(and family)- I will be a broken man if they aren't open on Easter Saturday as I think I will be hitting them up with a big order and moving onto kegging.

youll need to check if they are open...Qld businessw' close at the oddest of times compared to other states such as nsw and vic

youll need to check if they are open...Qld businessw' close at the oddest of times compared to other states such as nsw and vic

Amen to that.... So backwards sometimes. Still can't buy booze at the supermarket, not that I have a need anymore. I remember we used to holiday in northern NSW cause dad could buy booze on Sundays. [alien]

Archived