Coopers Community

Brewday - Slaughterhouse Brewery - AG IPA Pictorial as it happens

Hey Yob. May I ask what size burner you use?

Would this 3 ring burner be ok for my 40 L pot?

5794bfdce33b81049b6d4ff2720710b3.jpg

[w00t]

Hi Adam.

That's the exact same burner and stand that I got, and even with the standard regulator it's way too hot with all 3 rings for my setup. I do small batches however - 32L pot, usually filled to ~25L after draining the bag.

I can't say for certain, but I'd feel pretty confident putting a 40L pot on there. [cool]

If not, then you could always get a different regulator.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an FYI' date=' I just read a post over on AHB where a bloke reckons his 50L kettle is fine on his 3 ring with a standard BBQ reg.[/quote']

Ya, I have read all sorts. People say they are fine, some say they're not. I'm confused as [crying]

BUT, I think it will be ok. I made a spreadsheet and that makes everything better [lol]

Hey Yob. May I ask what size burner you use?

Would this 3 ring burner be ok for my 40 L pot?

5794bfdce33b81049b6d4ff2720710b3.jpg

[w00t]

Hi Adam.

That's the exact same burner and stand that I got, and even with the standard regulator it's way too hot with all 3 rings for my setup. I do small batches however - 32L pot, usually filled to ~25L after draining the bag.

I can't say for certain, but I'd feel pretty confident putting a 40L pot on there. [cool]

If not, then you could always get a different regulator.

Philbo, from where did you buy your burner & stand?

It was from an eBay store. Prices weren't too bad either, but the postage made it a significant purchase anyway.

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/rambogallery/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

I hope the link works.

EDIT: you can also get the HP regulator from them for about 25 bucks, but I'm stoked with the boil I get using standard reg.

Hey, Yob. I know you weren't happy with the trub cone you got, but it's shutloads better than what I get since I installed a pickup. I think there's too much turbulence from the coupling, elbow, and then tube, to get a good spin going. [pinched]

Any secret I'm not privy to mate?

It was from an eBay store. Prices weren't too bad either, but the postage made it a significant purchase anyway.

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/rambogallery/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

I hope the link works.

EDIT: you can also get the HP regulator from them for about 25 bucks, but I'm stoked with the boil I get using standard reg.

Thanks Phil. If it is Green Valley in Sydney then I could easily pick it up to save on postage.

Hey, Yob. I know you weren't happy with the trub cone you got, but it's shutloads better than what I get since I installed a pickup. I think there's too much turbulence from the coupling, elbow, and then tube, to get a good spin going.

Bloody posts keep coming in last on the page. [pinched] Never sure if they get seen.

Hey, Yob. I know you weren't happy with the trub cone you got, but it's shutloads better than what I get since I installed a pickup. I think there's too much turbulence from the coupling, elbow, and then tube, to get a good spin going.

Bloody posts keep coming in last on the page. [pinched] Never sure if they get seen.

Yep, missed that one, sorry..

Usually I get a decent (or at least decent enough) Trub Cone at the end.

If you whirlpool quite vigorously toward the center you should get quite a large inverted cone in the wort, so much so that it's almost to the bottom of the keggle.

It could be just the equipment you are using mate, Keggles have a domed bottom which aids in cone formation whereas a Pot having a flat base 'generally' wont get as neat a cone.

At the end of the day, you can leave it to settle longer, slow your run off down or adjust the height of the pickup / volumes you brew to account for it. Many ways of skinning said cat. (or all of the above)

Do you use a whirfloc / brewbrite type additive to the brews?

Yob

Yep, sure do. 1/2 WF @ 10min.

Another problem with my setup is that I only use a 32L pot. This means that there is less 'room' above the coupling and pickup to move the spoon around without hitting the fittings, so I'm only really spinning the top half.

I've been happy with my 16L batches/high gravity then diluted batches, but I reckon it's time to spring for a bigger kettle.

More bloody equipment![lol]

Thanks Yob.

@ Muddy & Hairy - [lol] [lol]

Another problem with my setup is that I only use a 32L pot....

I've been happy with my 16L batches/high gravity then diluted batches, but I reckon it's time to spring for a bigger kettle.

More bloody equipment![lol]

Thanks Yob.

@ Muddy & Hairy - [lol] [lol]

How long does it take to get boiling with your setup Phil?

I got a 40 L al pot, aiming to get roughly 21-23 L batches, but I thought I should future proof my burner rig in case I get into bigger batches. Hence my looking at the other burner options.

Really quickly. I BIAB, and do a dunk sparge/mashout for 10-15min.

By the time I'm ready to tip the sparge liquor in, the rest is VERY close to the boil. I only use 2/3 rings.

Yob seems to have no trouble with a 3 ring and HP regulator, so why not just get the 3 ring, give it a go, and if you aren't happy with the results, pay the 25 extra and change regulators.

The world is your oyster. [happy]

Archived