Coopers Community

Brewday - Slaughterhouse Brewery - AG IPA Pictorial as it happens

Cheers mate' date=' must have generated a bit of interest, it's had 225 views in 6 hours [lol']

Hope folks have enjoyed viewing/watching it as much as I enjoyed brewing it.

[w00t]

I loved it coming up in the next few weeks will be my pictorial of making a stir plate these sorts of things are well received. I love watching people do AG's on youtube just wish I could be there to enjoy the nice aroma's as they always mention. Anyhow Cheers for a great pictorial [happy]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pitching this cube now, decided to use a fresh Dry Yeast with it.

Im going with Nottingham as its a quick fermenter and a great floccer..

Will dig this thread up and post tasting notes on it when its carbed and serving.

[lol] [rightful] [ninja]

Pleasure.. The aim, as always is to de-mystify the processes and encourage others to have a bash.

Nothing wrong with BIAB either, BIAB brews have been taking out comps for years and are certainly on par with any 3V setup as far as the beer they produce.

...just not as s.e.x.y a setup [lol]

Yob

Even Im a little surprised by this.. OG was 1060 on Monday and curent SG is 1012 [love]

Bloody love that yeast.. 2 days and it's done!!!

Brewing again today to keep the whole process going, will harvest the Notto and repitch I reckon.

[rightful] [ninja] [lol]

Hey Yob,

I've used Notto often with good results. Lately, I was finding that every brew was tasting... Well, like Notto. A bit sour or something. Do you know what I mean?

I'm experimenting with W1450 "Denny's Fav.". Have you ever tried it? It's said to be a good all round yeast suitable for a variety of styles. I have my first brew in the FV pitching it.

The brew is a AG "Muddy's Full Nelson PA". We'll see!

I'd be interested to know what is your favorite yeast and how many different yeasts you use in your brewery.

My favorite yeast ATM is Greenbelt which you cannot gete here.. I was given a jar of slurry about 3-4 months ago and have been keeping it going, I need to be careful as I only have 1 or 2 samples left and will have to bust out the stirplate to get some fresh samples.

Following that, US-05, and Notto, I find you really need to let Notto clean up, give it a few days at raised temps after or near FG.. I really only use Notto where Im using big alpha hops as it has a reputation of stripping bitterness/flavour a bit.. the flavour I end up combating with a decent dry hop, but I love the aggressive attitude with it.

As Im predominantly an Ale brewer I can get away with only a few strains but am planning to get a few tubes of slants off a mate in the next week or 3 and expanding/experimenting a little bit further.

That said I have used Liquid, but usually with a specialty beer, Heather Ale, Biere de Guarde etc.

Cheers

I really only use Notto where Im using big alpha hops as it has a reputation of stripping bitterness/flavour a bit.. the flavour I end up combating with a decent dry hop' date=' but I love the aggressive attitude with it.[/quote']

That may explain why my ANZAC IPA became just PA - the bitterness I was expecting wasn't there. I put it down to using a bag of galaxy flowers that had been opened and resealed, but then I would've expected the flavour/aroma to be lacking, which it definitely isn't

...but then I would've expected the flavour/aroma to be lacking' date=' which it definitely isn't[/quote']

Alpha Acids (bittering component) are also lost when hops age, exposed to air, kept at warm temps.

Beersmith has a great tool for calculating the AA's based on the maturity of the hops.

when can i come visit yob?? pleaaaaase. lol

Absolutely awesome Yob, well done

Hey Ned

What time do ya want me to pick you up old cobber [lol]

hmmm good idea...im sure Slaughterhouse Brewery would most definitley do tours [biggrin]

So here we are, 9 days from grains to Kegged beer [w00t]

I kegged it and forced carbed it this morning and will have a taster tmoz I expect, once it's settled.

Its the Keg at the back, taste from the sample I ran off was promising indeed. The carbonation will really bring out the hops though.

apolloapa.jpg

Overall pretty happy with time and process so just have to confirm taste is a winner.

[innocent] [smile] [wink]

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. belated it is as I ran out of gas just on kegging this and couldnt really get to it until yesterday to carb it propperly but Ive finally poured myself a glasss (and another sinse starting this post [lol] ) of the Apollo Amarillo IPA brewed.

It still needs another week I reckon for the carb to be right and for the hops to really pop but Ive gotta say, im adding Apollo to my regular hop on hand... Im loving it... and the good thing about this one is that you dont need to use loads of them, it's pretty strong but not too bitter, I quite like it as a change from the Magnum I usually go for...

Thoughts on the beer are I rekon it'd go right off if only I had a touch of Citra in that recipe late or even a dry hop.

Cheers[ninja]

Hi Yob.

I'd be really interested in seeing a breakdown of this IPA recipe of yours. Is it the one that you took a few screenie shots of & posted in a previous thread?

I'm warming to the idea of using smaller additions of high alpha hops for my bittering addition for a larger number of future recipes.

On the surface, your recipe sounds very appealing, & I for one, not having used Citra or Apollo hops in a brew yet, would really look forward to brewing it, or something very close to it. [cool]

When you become un-slaughtered, I hope you'll give us a sniff... [lol]

Edit: My apologies on asking for the recipe, I just re-read the thread. [innocent]

Anthony.

Its not about the size of your rig, its more of an issue how you pump gas through it[lol]

I use a 3 ring but with an upgraded high pressure regulator and easily boils 35lt, (50lt keggle) put it this way, I've never felt the need to upgrade the burner as yet, I find it very economical on the gas and simple to adjust, the hp reg makes things easier though.

As with most things brewing, you need to do the numbers and make sure what you buy is right for you and your equipment.

ed for mad bad spelling (damn phone and Hop Hog combo)

it will easily boil a 40 lt pot, in fact I only normally use the 2 outer rings and still get a mad boil [rightful]

Archived