The finished product, about 5.8 Kg

32948535.jpg

Underletting the grains in the mash tun

93991994.jpg

Hose is hooked up to the pump and the HEX unit

28240066.jpg

twin STC's run my HLT and HEX units [love]

86962264.jpg

The sweet sweet wort in the making, its recirculating through the HEX and back to the Mash Tun.

More piccies to follow as the brewday progresses.

Yob

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

59143217.jpg

Mash PH just about spot on (5.2-5.4 for optimum conversion).. Ive used a bit of acidulated malt in this grist.

[ninja] feck it's hot in Melbourne today.. gunna get hotter beside the boil in an hour or so [lol]

The HEX is a heat exchanger, the device I use to control the mash temps, (its just a 20lt pot with an element in it + 10 lt's water, connected to the STC and the wort is pumped through a copper coil inside it) it gives me the ability to target a wort profile, ie: more or less fermentable depending on the mash temps.

If you google HERMS it will fill in the gaps [cool]

the HLT is simply a Hot Liquor Tank AKA a big kettle used for strike water and then sparging.

[ninja]

small setback, finished mash out and was bout to run off and discovered that there was something growing/living in the kettle..

1 quick rebuild and Im about to Fly Sparge this bad boy...

82382881.jpg

73919169.jpg

puff... puff...

Because I fly sparge,

91660996.jpg

I can turn on the gas (not helping with todays heat) at a fairly early stage and be pretty much at boil by the time th MT is empty, during this time I can now also start cleanup and can st my HEX to CIP (clean in place).

11129018.jpg

I spent a considerable amount of time coming up with this design and AFAIK Im the only person to run a system like this, you will note that the hoses have a different configuration for this CIP.

[wink]

if you are following this on the brewday I apologise for the delay to upload the photo's, for some reason the computer in the brewery wont recognise the camera, so I am postin out in the shed and coming inside to upload the photo's which is quite a PITA

Feck ME!! I am truly amazed at your perceptivness [lol]

With 10 mins to go, it's time to add the yeast nutrient and brewbrite.

89299582.jpg

were approaching end game here... it's gunna get real busy in 10 mins or so [ninja]

Drink up mate, I am!! [lol]

As Hairy has found (if he looked at the dates) This recipe has been about a month or more in the formation... it smells feckin amazing too... pretty sure I will ahve this fermenting within the next couple of days, I have a pitch of yeast almost ready to go.. well it is ready Ive just got to take it out of the fridge.. with any luch I can be drinking this in 3 weeks [ninja]

During the time that Ive turned the gas off and stopped the boil, I have prepared my cube (no chill method)

22361908.jpg

The cube was previously cleaned and Ive given it 300ml of Starsan and shaken it like a red headed stepchild, drained it making sure to get all the tap threads and all surfaces, in a few mis I can whirlpool and then add my last hop addition, a combination of Apollo and Amarillo, I will then leave it for another 10 mins (for the trub cone to develop) and then slowly drain to the cube.

89580965.jpg

Ive gotta say, this has been, even with the kettle rebuild a pretty time efficient brew.. first post half 1 and just about to complete.. pretty happy with how things have gone..

must be the rockin soundtracks Ive had going today [joyful]

Being a hotter day I perhaps shold have allowed a bit more time for convectios to reduce, it's too late now but Im still seeing movement in the wort.. Im sure the majority will ahve settled to cone btu lesson learned for next time.

almost fully cubed, another brew down, it's I think my 42 AG

Final post of this pictorial.. pant.. pant

17arc.jpg

Cube draining from the Keggle, quite slowly as I dont have a False bottom and I dont want to collect too much hotbreak and or crap.

67254619.jpg

Cone formation confirms that I could have given it an extra 5 mint to settle, notice the clear patch around the pick up tube.

19090477.jpg

My target volume was spot on, less that I usually go for as I only want 20l and may yet ferment in the cube.. not sure.

Overall pretty happy and I hope peeps playing along today ahve enjoyed as well. All grain isnt hard, but yes there is an equipment requirement depending on how you want to run it. It can be done with less, it can be done with more (though not much [lol] )... will it make market quality beer? You bet your

assjs.jpg

[lol]

Yob

Thanks for the post/thread Yob.

I'm quite jealous. Not just of your system but the chance to brew. I forgot to get grain before the LHBS shut down for Christmas so it looks like a brew free holiday period for me [crying]

Thanks for the post/thread Yob.

I'm quite jealous. Not just of your system but the chance to brew. I forgot to get grain before the LHBS shut down for Christmas so it looks like a brew free holiday period for me [crying]

Pity you are not closer, you could have swung by to grab some.

First brew with this hop, and its gotta be said, it's been a LONG time since Ive only used 50g in the boil, but looking forward to this one... a new hop if it's a winner is always welcome.

now if I could only get the feckin cube to seal propperly [lol]

(I think Ive got it not but lost about 300ml... barsardo!!)

Cheers

Yob

Archived