Coopers Community

New DIY beer Kit help

LiamC1

Im new to brewing and just bought the coopers diy beer kit. I would really prefer to bottle my beer in glass bottles. Is it possible and what do i need? I have the empty bottles already if it will work in a coopers long neck.

Thanks

Hi Liam

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, if you post in the "Brewing Blether" board you will get a quicker response [joyful] I'm sure this will be moved eventually by the admin.

Thirdly, yes you can bottle in whatever you want. It's just "safer" to bottle in the PET's, especially for noobs.

You must ensure fermentation is finished completely before bottling - use the hydrometer to test, if the readings are the same after two days in a row then fermentation is finished (it's also a good idea to leave it for a few days after the ferment is finished just to be sure, and to let the yeasties clean up after themselves).

If you bottle before fermentation is finished....

Mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

Well, maybe not quite that, but a mess nevertheless. And you could get injured while opening.

Welcome Liam [biggrin]

I'd recommend a bench capper rather than the type in the video. Much, much easier [rightful]

benchcapper64933zoom.jpg

Also, many people turn their nose up at the PET bottles (I used to [innocent] ) but they are really quite good. As long as you pour it in a clean glass for drinking they are just as good as bottles. The plastic doesn't actually taint the flavour in any way. Beer will taste different when drinking directly from plastic or aliminium but that is only from the smell - our senses automatically perceive the smell as taste.

Use a glass (as you always should for quality beer [rightful] ) and all will be good.

I was never a big fan of the bench capper because of the size of it, but yeah they're easy to use.

I'd rather have something that's a little less convenient during capping but can be stored easily than have something that will save me a couple of minutes capping but annoy me for the rest of the year..[biggrin]

Make use of it all year and it will not bother you. If you find other uses it will be easy

Hat rack

nut cracker

Or wait til your friends come over and get drunk then tell them it is a slot machine. You could make some good money

Welcome to the forum Liam

I know its your first batch but you'd be well advised to leave your beer in the fermenter for 14 days you will make a much better quality beer that way. You can bottle after 2 stable hydrometer readings around 7 days if you like.

I use a mixture of glass and PET's just ensure when you use stubbie sized bottles only use 1 carb drop and 2 per long neck exceeding this amount may result in bottle bombs if you are using glass.

+1 For bench cappers I bought one it gives the bottles a much better seal even on twist top bottles. I have a hand one like in the video that was given to me and they don't seal as good. The bench capper puts them on real nice and tight often I have to pry the lids off with a bottle opener.

I Hope you find this information useful once you get the brewing bug you will never look back and you will make better beers as you go along.

Cheers Wayne

I was never a big fan of the bench capper because of the size of it, but yeah they're easy to use.

I'd rather have something that's a little less convenient during capping but can be stored easily than have something that will save me a couple of minutes capping but annoy me for the rest of the year..[biggrin]

Fair enough....although once it is lowered and "folded up" it pretty much takes up less room than the hand capper.

Doth the good lord reside in a caravan?

It's not a caravan, it's my mobile fortress[lol]

I just prefer the twin lever cappers and never had a bad seal, even on twisty-tops.

I also like being able to move the capper to each bottle instead of moving each bottle to the capper.

but each to their own. I can understand how some people would prefer the phallic manhandling of a bench capper [biggrin]

Hello Liam

Welcome to the forum.

Remember safety first, just as Adam pointed out.

The Coopers long necks are ideal, taylor made for the secondary ferment that occurs after bottling.

I have both style cappers, and although I never had an issue with the style shown in the video I changed to the bench capper on the advice of my LHBS proprietor.

Once again I reckon that the capper in the video will be OK with Coopers long necks, but if you use a VB style bottle like many do you may end up with issues.

Ideally if you could collect all Coopers long necks, then you will have the safest non-PET bottling option.

..you need to have a superautomatica capper ($43.90). The wooden handle bang on capper is too severe, unless you rig it up in a drill press. I know of a guy who built one from an orange juicer from Chickenfeed for about $15. The two handle capper rips the necks off the bottles, we gave up selling them in 1995.

I'm going to have to train SWMBO to do the filling. I don't mind capping, but bottling bores me to tears [crying]

I've pretty much ditched the filling wand and pour straight from the spigot. It seems to go a bit quicker (although a little more messy)

I've pretty much ditched the filling wand and pour straight from the spigot. It seems to go a bit quicker (although a little more messy)

i manage to make a mess WITH the wand... while on the subject, HTF do you see the beer level when filling Coopers PETS, they are so dark. my eyes arnt the best, especially in a dingy garage. i have got copper tun PETS which are OK as they are lighter, but the 90 Coopers PETS are a nightmare

[lol] Bloody hell Wayne I just blocked your sig pic in another thread and now it is showing up again [pinched] (now resized from ludicrously huge to just extra huge [innocent] )

Paul sent me an email about it being too big he said the content was great but asked if I could make it quarter the size which I have done.

for some dumb arse reson i picked that!!!

heres what i think from left to right

Wayno

Lusty

Muddy

The good lord

Yob

Ha ha [biggrin]

Poor Lusty [whistling

70yr old man....that's a bit rough! [pouty]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry? [crying] [lol]

Anthony.

Archived