Coopers Community

lets vote

MichaelD16

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The poor old Lager kit, it continues to attract bad press. It may well be the combination of BE1 and the Lager kit that is not to everyone\u2019s liking. This said however I still remember tasting mine after just two weeks in the bottle, I also remember well that it was well received by everyone who drank it including a number of women. I made my first three batches with BE1, Lager, Pale Ale and Canadian Blonde. To be honest the Blonde was the best of these three but as far as dressed up kits I\u2019d say you\u2019d have to go a long way to beat the Coopers Australian Pale Ale as a base.

I have dressed up the Lager twice now, once it was the only kit at the LHBS and the other came with my 2nd FV. It is amazing what grains and hops do to a kit.

However I would argue that as people move on in their brewing obsession they recall that first Lager and BE1 combination and they don\u2019t compare it favourably to some of their latest kits and bits experiments.

PB2 has said on a number of occasions that the Lager kit is Coopers\u2019 most popular and I reckon that\u2019s why they put it in their DIY kit. If you are going to introduce someone to home brewing then you would adopt a marketing approach that contains the safest option and one that is fool proof.

It all comes down to a matter of taste, for me I can imagine nothing worse than having the Real Ale can in the introductory kit. It gets my vote as the worst kit, only because it doesn\u2019t really suit my tastes, and if I had brewed it first my kit would still be sitting at the local tip.

As Scottie put it, at the end of the day, it comes down to a marketing decision. If I had a vote, I'd say swap it to the Pale Ale can, given that (I assume) the Pale Ale is the biggest seller in the bottle. I think the lager tin sucks.

It's funny though Scottie, I think the Real Ale is one of the best kits. Not on it's own (god no). I made an Unreal Ale early on, and it was disgusting. However with some grain and hops, it is perfect for American Pale Ales, or IPAs. I love it. That doesn't help someeone with their first brew though.

Anyway, my 2c worth.

-Dyl

The lager is probably just the "safest" kit in that it's got a fairly standard beer taste. If it came with, for example, an English Bitter (one of the favourites here) I think a lot of people would wonder what they'd struck and perhaps not continue. The lager kit eases people into it.

The lager is probably just the "safest" kit in that it's got a fairly standard beer taste. If it came with' date=' for example, an English Bitter (one of the favourites here) I think a lot of people would wonder what they'd struck and perhaps not continue. The lager kit eases people into it.[/quote']

I'm with Ruddy - it's probably the hardest to mess up, and gives you an idea of what you can do

I think sometimes as people get into brewing a bit more and start adding all these specialty grains and hops they become snobby to the old lawnmower lager or anything basic. Ill be the first to say i enjoy a nice malty hopped up beer. On the other hand i dont mind slamming down a few basic recepie brews on a really hot day.

Thats just me and i think alot of other people are the same but blame the standard brews on SWMBO because of getting shit stirred on here. At the moment i have a standard draught and BE1 going not by choice this time but because im poor but i know it will be enjoyed until i can afford another brew with malt and hops.

Going back 2 years i made a ripper brew OS lager can 1.5kg home brand white sugar 1x sazz teabag 1x Tettnang teabag 15 soak in 1.8 litres just boiled water strained into fv. Brewed at about 24 to 26 degrees in summer coolest could get it at time before ice bath.

Was it thin and watery? yes But it had alcohol and small amount hop flavour to counter cidery taste and only cost me 16 bucks for 23 litres and i started drinking right on 2 weeks [lol]

Having never brewed the lager tin (except for like 10 years ago), I can't really comment on it. I don't even remember what it tasted like back then. The worst Coopers one I've brewed was a Real Ale tin, just didn't like it at all. I didn't really brew a large variety of kits before I moved into all extract and then all grain but I can see two reasons why they'd use the lager tin in the startup kit: 1. From above posts it's apparently the hardest to mess up, and 2. Most people are seasoned to drinking commercial lagers so they're more likely to start brewing with a tin that's called lager, which might explain its popularity.

The lager kit is inoffensive (to most people anyway) and when you make your first beer you think it is the best beer you have ever tasted.

It might be bland and cidery but you don't care; it isn't undrinkable.

It is at the bottom of my list of favourite kits but I understand why it is included in the DIY pack.

I think sometimes as people get into brewing a bit more and start adding all these specialty grains and hops they become snobby to the old lawnmower lager or anything basic.

Delightfully and whole heartedly and rightfully agree.

I wouldnt have it any other way... Its my right to be a Beer Snob because these days I brew Craft Beer, not swill.

I will happily refuse Crappy beer, Id rather have nothing than below par beer.

[rightful] [rightful] [rightful] [rightful] [rightful]

Can someone tell me what yeast is supplied with the Lager Kit. This could possibly be the problem!

It's an ale yeast strain in all the original series kits.

Well, I reckon that will be the problem. IMHO, if you grabbed yourself one of Coopers Lager Yeasts and brewed it at 10\xb0C there would be a massive improvement.

I agree with Yob, why, after you get to a point of brewing more advanced and flavoursome beers would you go back to brewing what you now consider sub-standard swill? I understand costs come into it for a lot of people, but I'd rather save my money and buy better ingredients and brew less beer that I enjoy more, than buying cheaply and brewing swill that I don't. [innocent]

Of course its for cost reasons once you have already taken further steps into partial mashing and hop additions etc. Everyone is different you would rather wait until can afford the malt and hops to add im happy having a fermenter with alcohol in it than possibly spend the 20 bucks before can get those extra few bucks for malt and hops. Most likely on a horse or dog that dont run a place [crying]

Well' date=' I reckon that [i']will[/i] be the problem. IMHO, if you grabbed yourself one of Coopers Lager Yeasts and brewed it at 10\xb0C there would be a massive improvement.

How many first time brewers would be able to keep their temperatures that low?

OK I have only been brewing for a very short time[crying] and the lager whilst not the greatest beer I have had, I thought was drinkable (only 1 tallie left). My second brew was the Coopers Celebration Ale....first time I had seen or smelt hops(apart from driving past them growing in paddocks). Well I was hooked, loved the Celebration Ale[love] I have since made a CAPA variation that I got off here and had a little taste test last night [love] . I wish I had of got into brewing a long time ago but I am now. My next step is into mashing. Yeah the Lager isn't a bad start up kit..

Well' date=' I reckon that [i']will[/i] be the problem. IMHO, if you grabbed yourself one of Coopers Lager Yeasts and brewed it at 10\xb0C there would be a massive improvement.

How many first time brewers would be able to keep their temperatures that low?

Maybe if they started brewing in winter they could keep it around 10C' date=' but most people get kits for Christmas right in the middle of summer... so good luck with that. [lol']

I do understand what you guys are saying, however, if these people were given good advice in regards to some excellent lager yeasts that perform really well at ambient temperatures in the high 20's they would not have these problems.

Whitelabs WLP 810, San Fransisco Lager Yeast and Wyeast's 2112, Californian Lager Yeast work unbelievable well at those high temperatures and the taste test is spot on for a lager.

Aww guys. A newbie here with a Lager in the FV at present. Day 6 of my first brew. Temp has been mostly around 20C apart from when I pitched the yeast at around 25-26 C. I'm hoping for a decent first time drop..SG last night (day 5) was 1025. OG was 1039. I'm happy to brew something that isnt paint stripper or vinegar.. My fingers are crossed.

Muddy

Welcome aboard Muddy (this is going to get confusing [crying] )

1025 seems a bit high for 5 days fermenting at 20 degrees. But before doing anything to your brew you should make sure you are using your hydrometer correctly.

Do you discard the first runnings in the tube and then refill? The first 1/3 or 1/2 a tube will have sediment from the tap which will lead to a higher false reading. Tip this out, withdraw some more and measure that.

Also, make sure you de-gas the sample. Let it sit for a while or tip the liquid back and forth between two cups. Too many bubbles can lead to the hydrometer sitting higher in the liquid.

Let us know if you get the same reading today.

A newbie here with a Lager in the FV at present. Day 6 of my first brew. .. My fingers are crossed.

Muddy

Well at first sight I thought what's Muddy talking about. Then I checked the post number and then thought how did Muddy do that. Then the penny dropped....[innocent] .

Welcome to the forum new Muddy, as with many others I reckon you think this Lager is your best brew ever. The good news is that almost every brew from here on in will be your best brew ever. You are in the right place to develop your brewing skills.

This forum is big enough for two Muddies [unsure]

edit: Oh yeah listen to Hairy's advice re your SG reading.

Archived