Coopers Community

IanH's Spreadsheet

beer, is you name Adam too? http://users.adam.com.au/beerlust1/BeerBrewing/Kit_Extract_Beer_Designer_V4.xls

We are even more alike then!

ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE NOT ME? SWMBO always says I am a little bit crazy. Has anybody seen us both online at the same time? [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure]

Hello fellow forumee's.

I have altered the wording of my introduction line 2 posts earlier where I offered up a link to download Ianh's spreadsheet, as to not offend any forum members.

I have also fixed the file extension issue that was mentioned.

Beer.

Thanks Beer, works a treat now[lol]

beer' date=' is you name Adam too? http://users.[b']adam[/b].com.au/beerlust1/BeerBrewing/Kit_Extract_Beer_Designer_V4.xls

We are even more alike then!

ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE NOT ME? SWMBO always says I am a little bit crazy. Has anybody seen us both online at the same time? [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure]

Actually NO, it isn't AdamH, it's Anthony. [happy]

For those that don't know our history, I'll enlighten you. . .

Adam & I were born conjoined twins at the hip & adopted out soon after birth to two separate families. The separation of us was very involved & heart-breaking for our maternal mother (whom I only tracked down recently). The difficult decision surgeons had to make at the time of separation was who would have the "middle" conjoined leg that linked us. The physical mass was slightly on my body side, where as 66% of the muscle tissue & tendons were primarily on Adam's side. The surgeons decided it was supposedly more beneficial & likely that the leg would take better shape & be completely normal if given to Adam. Thus he was given the leg, & I lost one in the process.

As the operation happened so early in my life, & me & my brother were separated as infants, I didn't even know I had a brother, & believed I was born that way.

Many years passed & I soon realised I had been adopted & after confronting my Foster parents, they admitted as such. With that knowledge, my mission then became to find my REAL mother. After decades of searching I finally found her. After many tears & hours of discussion, she disclosed that I had a brother, & that we were conjoined at birth. She then proceeded to read my palm (As all Gypsy mums do), & told me I would eventually find my long lost brother.

Since joining the Coopers Forum, I believe that search has now ended. I have found my long lost brother, & his name be AdamH.

....and when I find out where you live, I'M COMING TO GET MY LEG BACK!! [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [lol]

Beer.

have you been eating funny mushrooms?

this thread is so Alice in Wonderland

No, but I may have unconsciously OD'd on Nelson Sauvin! [lol]

So that explains why the middle leg is so long

Well the surgeons didn't leave me hanging with that part of the surgery. Actually, come to think of it, in a very positive way, they DID! [lol]

P.S. I hope you didn't mind the attempt at a little bit of comedy in my previous post? [wink]

Beer.

• 3 years later...
Hi All' date='

I was wondering if anyone has Ian's spreadsheet handy that they could kindly email to me.

jkilday25@gmail.com

Appreciate it

Cheers [/quote']

G'day John K, I'm sure you will find this resource helpful. wink

Brewing Resources for Novices, Intermediates & Geeks, thanks' P2. kissing

Cheers.

Cheers MM, I was trying to find that last night but gave up lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I put an extract recipe on tonight that was 23L, and had 2 x 1.5kg tins of Coopers Light LME + 250g of Carapils and 250g Carahell steeped for 30 mins.

According to IanH's Spreadsheet, this should've had an OG of 1.044, though when I took a sample out of the fermenter, it only came back as 1.036.

The LME was definitely thoroughly stirred in, I tried 2 different hydrometers which both gave the same result, I degassed the sample as well as waited about 20 minutes for the sample to get to room temperature to take another reading.... I can't think of any other reason why my OG would be so far out?

Even if I remove the grain steep from the calculations, it still should have an OG of 1.040.

I seem to recall someone on here saying, not that long ago, that either the kits and/or the LME should be entered into IanH's spreadsheet as volume rather than weight? If that it correct, would my OG have potentially been that far out then?

I've never come across this problem before, and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Cheers

Blake

Could it have been a false reading due to some other reason?

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I can't think of any other obvious reasons why there would either be a false reading, or whether IanH's spreadsheet might be wrong in the first place.

What temperature was it sitting at? The higher the temperature the lower they read - mind you it'd have to be pretty bloody high to read 8 points lower. Even 10 degrees higher, i.e. 30C, they read about 2-3 points lower than the actual SG.

I'm not sure about entering the LME (kit or not) as volume... I always entered them as weight and got accurate predictions on OG. On the surface, that 1044 sounds pretty much on the money to me so I'm thinking you've got false hydrometer readings, but why, is a mystery. unsure

Even doing a calculation by hand* results in a higher OG than Chuznut's brew:

Before crunching the numbers, here are the assumptions used below -- converting LME to DME since we can't be sure what the extract potential of the LME is (it apparently varies by manufacturer between 1.033 and 1.037):

• DME has an extract potential of 1.045 = 45 PPG = 375.5 P/kg/L
  • DME is equivalent to 80% LME by weight
  • CaraPils potential = 33 PPG = 275.4 P/kg/L
  • CaraHell potential = 34 PPG = 283.7 P/kg/L
  • Steeping efficiency = 60%

DME: (2.4kg / 23.0L) x 375.5 P/kg/L = 39.2 gravity points

CaraPils: 60% x (0.25 / 23.0L) x 275.4 P/kg/L = 1.8 gravity points

CaraHell: 60% x (0.25 / 23.0L) x 283.7 P/kg/L = 1.9 gravity points

Therefore:

SG = 1 + ((39.2 + 1.8 + 1.9) / 1000) = 1.043

So in terms of quick calculation, I second Otto's statement:

On the surface' date=' that 1044 sounds pretty much on the money to me so I'm thinking you've got false hydrometer readings, but why, is a mystery.[/quote']

If I put my "What If?" hat on and work backwards from the measured SG, the following contributing factors could result in a measurement of 1.035:

• The above calculation assumes 100% of the extract was, er... extracted from the can, which is not always possible. Assume 3% losses.
  • The above calculation assumes that 20% of the LME is water, but it could vary by a few percent. Assume it is as much as 23% water.
  • Extract potential figures may not be correct. Assume -3 gravity points (which is a lot, but this is hypothetical after all).
  • Efficiency of steeping grains may be lower. Assume 50%.

The above assumptions would work out to an SG of 1.037, which, with a margin of error for measurement, would put you in the ballpark...

What actually happened is anyone's guess though! unsure

* Hahahaha, just kidding I'm a total data nerd who worships Excel.

Here's one out of left field to consider...

...have you ever volume checked (in litres) the markings on your fermenter wall against actual REAL litres of water added into it?

I've heard of guys that have found discrepancies by physically filling their fermenter with a measured amount of water against the pre-moulded markings on the fermenter wall that suggest a certain volume at incremented marks.

Whether this could be a contributing factor in your case with your expected gravity concern & whether it could equate to approx. 6-8 gravity points, I honestly don't know. Proving the accuracy of the markings on your fermenter wall by performing the test would at a bare minimum, at least rule this out as a possibility. wink

Cheers & good luck sorting it out.

Lusty.

Thanks for the responses guys. The only simple thing I can think of is that maybe it wasn't completely stirred in like I thought it was, so the sample that I took was a little more diluted than it should be (although I took 2 different samples just to be sure).

Alternatively, it's probably a collection of things as Gibbo pointed out.

The sample was at 18deg when I took the reading, so the temp shouldn't be the issue at all.

I might take one more sample this afternoon when I get home from work to see if anything's changed at all overnight (I know I'm just wasting potential beer by doing that, but this is really doing my head in at the moment). At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter too much what the OG is I suppose... As long as it tastes like beer in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I signed up to Aussie Home Brewer and, three weeks on, I'm still being moderated and cannot access IanH's spreadsheet. This is despite contacting them twice to try and rectify the problem. They can blow it out of their collective a***s.

Has anyone seen this spreadsheet posted elsewhere? I really would like to get a look at it.

Cheers