Coopers Community

IanH's Spreadsheet

It was my experience that knk did not make the beer I was after and that left me to adding grains and hops, a very decent beer can be made from kits and bits, I brewed that method for over 2 years and was well pleased with many of them.

With due diligence and attention to detail I have made kit beers that rival AG brews and indeed have credible feedback that this is the case.

To put it in record, I have no drama with someone doing knk, knb, partials, whatever floats your boat.

What gets under my skin is people asking others to do what they won't do for themselves. Research is one of those things,

Helpful advice has been offered and the result was, can somebody do it for me.. I'm sure I will get over it but ffs, harden up and do your own dirty work and give credit where credit is due, hmmm reminds me to make a donation to brewmate..

@ruddager, I wouldn't be expecting too much mate, to my sorely abused taste buds its a pretty bland style of beer to begin with. Why do you think they put lemons in it[lol]

*edit: ...and also this bit that I said earlier, seems to have been missed by a few [pouty]

Using Kits and bits may be argued that it is partial brewing [lol] Especially if you are adding grains/hops/specialty yeast...

What hasnt been said here and probably should be is..

Beerlust should probably be thanking IanH for the time he has put into the spreadsheet to help him (and others) understand better what does what.

Somewhere back in time I certainly did. [annoyed]

Having viewed the thread where IanH first launched his Spreadsheet for others to download, some time ago, I got the feeling that he is a very kind, thoughtful, & selfless person.

Having done my share of programming software for non-profit over the years for sporting clubs, health clubs & individuals needs, I think I'm more than qualified to say that people like IanH & myself (for that matter), don't create these programs for applause, or worship, or recognition on any grand scale. We gain our satisfaction by simply knowing what we created has helped or benefited someone besides ourselves.

Should I ever come across IanH in a forum or by some miracle in person, I'm sure I'll probably say something like, "That brewing spreadsheet you created was quite a nifty little piece of work. It certainly helped me with my home brewing."

That is provided I've actually looked at it & used it at least once by then.

Beer.

*snip*

Having viewed the thread where IanH first launched his Spreadsheet for others to download, some time ago, I got the feeling that he is a very kind, thoughtful, & selfless person.

*snip*

Should I ever come across IanH in a forum or by some miracle in person, I'm sure I'll probably say something like, "That brewing spreadsheet you created was quite a nifty little piece of work. It certainly helped me with my home brewing."

That is provided I've actually looked at it & used it at least once by then.

Beer.

Surely you have at least looked at it by now coupled with so many positive reviews, not one negative one, and you must have come across Ianh on the forum now considering you provided a link to his thread yet I didn't see a reply as you indicated above.

Anyhow, that's your choice.... personally I prefer to give credit where credit is due. If nobody says anything to people helping them with whatever it may be, then the majority of time people give up doing what it was to be helpful.

It really doesn't hurt. Then again I guess if we were all the same it really would be a strange world we are in........

I say no more [pouty]

Surely you have at least looked at it by now coupled with so many positive reviews...

As usual BillK, your assumptions are correct. I have indeed looked at it for a total of approx. 1\xbd minutes. Enough time to view the layout & throw a few rough figures in to see what it spat out. That's all. I'll begin to use it when I have thoughts on unknown recipes I wish to conjure.

...and you must have come across Ianh on the forum now considering you provided a link to his thread yet I didn't see a reply as you indicated above.

If "The forum" you are talking about is the AHB forum then the answer = No. As I've said numerous times, I'm not a member of that forum, nor do I intend to be. The link I provided anyone can do, member or non-member, as anyone can VIEW the thread information on AHB, but noone can post comments or reply unless they are a member.

The rest of your post really drops out of coherence after that.

Beer.

@ruddager' date=' I wouldn't be expecting too much mate, to my sorely abused taste buds its a pretty bland style of beer to begin with. Why do you think they put lemons in it[lol']

I don't - this one's for SWMBO. Really it just gives me an excuse to drink what I've got so that there's enough spare bottles in two weeks [biggrin]

As usual BillK, your assumptions are correct. I have indeed looked at it for a total of approx. 1\xbd minutes. Enough time to view the layout & throw a few rough figures in to see what it spat out. That's all. I'll begin to use it when I have thoughts on unknown recipes I wish to conjure.

Fair enough [innocent]

If "The forum" you are talking about is the AHB forum then the answer = No. As I've said numerous times, I'm not a member of that forum, nor do I intend to be. The link I provided anyone can do, member or non-member, as anyone can VIEW the thread information on AHB, but noone can post comments or reply unless they are a member.

I apologise in this case. I wasn't aware of that.... I feel a little stupid now considering I have never seen a guest make a post come to think about it. Doh!! [pinched]

I'm glad we are all loved up again.

Lusty, if you want to develop or improve your recipe building skills then I think it is worthwhile running all your recipes through the spreadsheet, even those that have been given to you by someone else.

It will help you understand what all the different components of a recipe add to a beer. With regards to the numbers anyway; the taste test is still the ultimate review.

And it doesn't take long.

I love the spreadsheet. I use it on every batch and joined the "other forum" just to get it.

Ditto[happy]

Someone who has a membership ......should send IanH a link to this thread.

I logged in there this morning and very nearly made this exact post, and with a thankyou. That would've been post #4[bandit]

Hi Nick.

AHB is a b'stard of a site' date=' i cant log in for love nor money. even requested a new password, but no luck. can anyone send me a link to the Ianh spreadsheet please[annoyed']

For the benefit of other forum members, I have placed the spreadsheet on my personal web-space.

You can download it >> HERE <<

I doubt I'm treading on IanH's toes by doing this, just (hopefully) advancing the distribution & acknowledgement of his clever work.

Adding comments of thanks to IanH in this thread will be welcomed & respected.

Starting with myself. Thank you IanH. [cool]

The introduction line of this post has been altered by the writer as to not offend any forum members.

Beer.

Since no-one else will do it, I have placed the spreadsheet on my personal web-space.

You can download it >> HERE <<

I doubt I'm treading on IanH's toes by doing this, just (hopefully) advancing the distribution & acknowledgement of his clever work.

Adding comments of thanks to IanH in this thread will be welcomed & respected.

Starting with myself. Thank you IanH. [cool]

Beer.

What's with the attitude? This thread originally rubbed people up the wrong way because you couldn't be bothered signing up to AHB and wanted someone else to do the legwork for you. Now your having a go because didn't feel inclined to jump through hoops for you.

I might have just got out of the wrong side of bed this morning but I'm kinda wish I hadn't bothered to assist you now [pinched]

Hello fellow forumee's.

I have altered the wording of my introduction line 2 posts earlier where I offered up a link to download Ianh's spreadsheet, as to not offend any forum members.

I have also fixed the file extension issue that was mentioned.

Beer.