Coopers Community

Brewing supplies.

Hey gang, 

This is probably more of a whine really. I'm based in Wodonga, up in the beautiful Northeast of Victoria. Up until about 6 months ago, my local brewery and distillery supplies carried everything I needed from yeast to barley and everything in between. No they have dropped all of the consumable's and sell equipment only. This has left us with pretty much no choice but to buy online. The trouble is, the freight takes all the joy out of it. $12 to send a couple of packets of yeast is the going rate.

Do I have other options?

Cheers, 

Matt.

●I find online brew shopping to be excellent, it's convenient & fast way to top up your inventory. I do support my "local brew shop" too, but I don't always have the time to fuel up & drive a 50 minute round trip.

●All online supplies I've encountered have a $15 delivery cover charge, or spend $100 & get free delivery arrangement (this Coopers sight too...(i think)), the trick is to load up & treat yourself to a free delivery..

●Dry brewers yeast hibernates in the crisper of your fridge also I leave my hops in the freezer, I've never had any problems, my advice would be to load up on supplies...I got in the practice of this through covid period of (2021) I had a years supply of supplies, kits/grain/yeasts/cleaners/hops etc all in my brewers pantry ever since.

Short of gear means short of beer... we can't have that now!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ScoMo said:

●I find online brew shopping to be excellent, it's convenient & fast way to top up your inventory. I do support my "local brew shop" too, but I don't always have the time to fuel up & drive a 50 minute round trip.

●All online supplies I've encountered have a $15 delivery cover charge, or spend $100 & get free delivery arrangement (this Coopers sight too...(i think)), the trick is to load up & treat yourself to a free delivery..

●Dry brewers yeast hibernates in the crisper of your fridge also I leave my hops in the freezer, I've never had any problems, my advice would be to load up on supplies...I got in the practice of this through covid period of (2021) I had a years supply of supplies, kits/grain/yeasts/cleaners/hops etc all in my brewers pantry ever since.

I'm lucky in the fact that I have a LHBS 5 minutes away and best of all I can by all my brewing equipment from him which helps if there is a warranty problem I can deal with him and not have the hassle of dealing with the supplier.

• Like 2

I have just ordered $100 + of ingredients from Noble Baron, a Newcastle based business. Their  flat rate for freight is $15 ,which is affordable with a bigger order.  The choice of hops, light dry malt and extracts swung it for me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScoMo said:

Same as you, hops in the freezer, yeast in the fridge. Whenever I do an online order I always throw in a few extra things to make the courier charge worth it. All of it, if kept well, will last a decent while.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ølmatt said:

Hey gang, 

This is probably more of a whine really. I'm based in Wodonga, up in the beautiful Northeast of Victoria. Up until about 6 months ago, my local brewery and distillery supplies carried everything I needed from yeast to barley and everything in between. No they have dropped all of the consumable's and sell equipment only. This has left us with pretty much no choice but to buy online. The trouble is, the freight takes all the joy out of it. $12 to send a couple of packets of yeast is the going rate.

Do I have other options?

Cheers, 

Matt.

There was a site called Cheapyeast.  If you bought 7 packets of yeast, you got free delivery.  The website is still there.  I have not ordered from him for years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Check if online suppliers have deals regarding postage or cheaper postage options when buying in bulk. Or keep a list of things you need and then go on a road trip and get it all in one hit, plus spares of course. That's all I can say really.

Without wanting to rub it in, I'm glad I am blessed with options. I have a Country Brewer just 5 minutes away and Ipswich Brew Co. 10 minutes. They're both great for small things you urgently need and IBC is even open on Sundays. They're not so good for grains though. They don't sell in bulk unless pre-ordered and CB only sells milled grain. That's when I go online but only to the other side of town to get most of my supplies. HoppyDays not only have good prices for grain but also, a 25kg sack and two 10kg bags of grain and some yeast and hops are shipped for 30 bucks for next-day delivery. If I were to drive there, I'd spend over 100km worth of fuel, car wear and tear and about $24 in tolls. I'd be stupid not to get it shipped to me. 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

There was a site called Cheapyeast.  If you bought 7 packets of yeast, you got free delivery.  The website is still there.  I have not ordered from him for years.

It is, I deleted my post when I saw Beachy's remark, I thought it better for obvious reasons.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Check if online suppliers have deals regarding postage or cheaper postage options when buying in bulk. Or keep a list of things you need and then go on a road trip and get it all in one hit, plus spares of course. That's all I can say really.

Without wanting to rub it in, I'm glad I am blessed with options. I have a Country Brewer just 5 minutes away and Ipswich Brew Co. 10 minutes. They're both great for small things you urgently need and IBC is even open on Sundays. They're not so good for grains though. They don't sell in bulk unless pre-ordered and CB only sells milled grain. That's when I go online but only to the other side of town to get most of my supplies. HoppyDays not only have good prices for grain but also, a 25kg sack and two 10kg bags of grain and some yeast and hops are shipped for 30 bucks for next-day delivery. If I were to drive there, I'd spend over 100km worth of fuel, car wear and tear and about $24 in tolls. I'd be stupid not to get it shipped to me. 

I am lucky too in that regard, surrounded by LHBS, a few are out a bit further in the northern suburbs, but I can get everything I want locally & I do order online when needed.

I am surprised that Coopers took the banner away on the home page of the forum advertising their malt/grain/hops etc. 

It was colourful & right in the dashboard area of the forum home page.

Any reason why Frank. @Coopers DIY Beer Team

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes I saw this site actually. I hesitated to buy from them as at this early stage of my brewing adventures, I just don't know what my next six brews might require yeast wise?

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 1:20 PM, Ølmatt said:

Hey gang, 

Do I have other options?

Cheers, 

Matt.

Hey mate I guess you are talking about cheeky peak brewery? It was my local as well for FWK and yeast etc. I am now in the same delema with freight. 

As others have said freight seems to be better when buy in bulk

I now use Kegland Noble Park Vic happy for you to PM me. If brew coopers Tins use the free freight when available and buy yeast in bulk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ølmatt said:

I just don't know what my next six brews might require yeast wise

Which is kind of why I stopped using them.  Plus I harvest and reuse yeast a fair bit.  Therefore, to buy 7 fresh yeasts I need to be planning brews even further ahead.  Having said that, I have already planned my next 11 brews and already have all the ingredients for the next 6.

• Like 4

On 7/3/2024 at 8:24 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am surprised that Coopers took the banner away on the home page of the forum advertising their malt/grain/hops etc. 

It was colourful & right in the dashboard area of the forum home page.

Any reason why Frank.

G'day Classic. I guess you're referring to the Launch Banner that heralded the introduction of malt, hops and yeast for sale at the Online Store? We try to keep advertising on the forum to a minimum, but if you'd like to see more ads, I'll ask Abby what we can do to accommodate! 🤣🤣🤣 Cheers, Frank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

G'day Classic. I guess you're referring to the Launch Banner that heralded the introduction of malt, hops and yeast for sale at the Online Store? We try to keep advertising on the forum to a minimum, but if you'd like to see more ads, I'll ask Abby what we can do to accommodate! 🤣🤣🤣 Cheers, Frank.

No ads thanks much appreciated 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I reckon you need a short cut to the FAQs ( beer making) at top of page too.

Or

On the menu change "brewing support"

To

"Brewing support-FAQs"

And while I'm on it, the online store link doesn't go to the on line store.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Cheers Frank, I have an extensive advertising background, so they don't bother me.

I just thought it looked colourful & of course a constant reminder that Coopers sell the products.

Otherwise, some old/new brewery photos would make a nice backdrop. 😉

• Like 1

Speaking of brewing supplies, I picked up these beauties this afternoon.  They will be used across the next 11 brews.  Including a Coopers Original Pale Ale, Coopers XPA and Coopers Sparkling Ale.  I might even have a crack at an all-grain Coopers Australian Lager.

IMG_4477.JPG.caadd9d3321eb2247ca2b1dec9c9b0f5.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG.aa1aea41afc662f7a87b292b0a787829.JPG

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Speaking of brewing supplies, I picked up these beauties this afternoon.  They will be used across the next 11 brews.  Including a Coopers Original Pale Ale, Coopers XPA and Coopers Sparkling Ale.  I might even have a crack at an all-grain Coopers Australian Lager.

IMG_4477.JPG.caadd9d3321eb2247ca2b1dec9c9b0f5.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG.aa1aea41afc662f7a87b292b0a787829.JPG

Bewdiful 🙂 

This stuff is quite hard to get up here. The fella at Country Brewer thinks he can get me a bag though. I'm still sorted for the moment in terms of base malts but those approx 70kg won't last forever 🙂 

• Like 3