Coopers Community

Fruity taste

Gassy

@Gassy , welcome to the forum.

Plenty of brewers on this forum add fruit to their brews.  Can you tell us what fruit are you thinking of adding and if its fresh fruit or frozen fruit etc.?

I am sure someone will pop up with the answers and techniques you are looking for.  Cheers - AL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gassy said:

Anyone add fruit into their brew for a citrus taste?

When, what and how much do you add?

Hey @Gassy,

Welcome to the forum cobber !

I have recently brewed a Coopers DEUCE LAGER recipe without deviation. It uses ½ Cup Lime Juice on a 1.7kg Canadian Blonde extract base, plus a box of Brew Enhancer #3 and a 25g Hallertau Tradition Hop infusion on around day 10 of fermentation. Makes a 25 litre brew. ✅

My notes were "After 7 days of conditioning first taste is good, clean, and easy to drink. Quite a good light tasting easy drinker ! Would brew again, but given a side by side, I'd prefer a COOPERS PACIFIC PALE ALE. 4.3/5"

Hope that helps ! 😋

Cheers ta cold beers 🍺 🍺

P.S.  Great pseudo name 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, Oldbloke said:

Yeh, I've added black plums to stout. I think 3 were grouse, but the next a flop. (Sanitation?)

Consider essessence. 

Did you pasteurise the fruit first or was it frozen?

On 3/10/2024 at 12:36 PM, Gassy said:

Anyone add fruit into their brew for a citrus taste?

When, what and how much do you add?

What brew were you attempting to make is it all grain, coopers tin etc! I have added frozen raspberries to a Philly sour beer it was awesome in a sanitised bag then into the fermenter at the end of fermentation. I left it in for about 4!days then kegged! Really nice pink colour!

IMG_6545.jpeg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Did you pasteurise the fruit first or was it frozen?

Black pumps out of a can. I removed the pips by hand. Stupidity, then put in the brew. So, I probably contaminated them.

I have done one since using 1 jar of plumb jam. It's sterile when it goes in the jar.

IIRC it was boiled for a few minutes before it went in the brew.

Next time I will use 2 jars.

Will try to find the recipe but not home now.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:54 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Could try something like this-

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/citrus-sail-saison.html

Would work with a Mexican cerveza type brew if that's what you're after. 

There's also this, using lemon zest... https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/sombrero-light-lager.html

Like you, I've also only used fruit in a sour, but it was blueberries. Seemed to come out decent, I'm not much of a connoisseur when it comes to sours but it seems to taste pretty much like the commercial ones I've bought in the past.