Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

9 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Well I'm a little bit happy with this recent buy. Nukatap mini with flow control valve.

It's removed the need for fiddly beer lines in the fridge to provide flow resistance. It also means I can serve beer from one keg and keep another keg carbonated at higher pressure without frothy pours. I don't have a manifold to control my CO2 distribution and I'm not very handy to want to set one up or put taps through my fridge door.

I also bought a CO2 regulated charging kit with it so I can use those little soda bulbs to dispense beer without having to lug a CO2 tank around. Keg mobility.🥰

IMG_20240821_212625~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-21-21-56-46-772.jpg

Those little taps with a flow controlled disconnect, plus the regulated CO2 charger, on top of one of those 8 litre PET kegs sounds good for taking to parties.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Those little taps with a flow controlled disconnect, plus the regulated CO2 charger, on top of one of those 8 litre PET kegs sounds good for taking to parties.

Precisely my plan, SOS. I recently took a 20l keg to a party. It was fun showing off my keg and beer but it was a little clumsy packing it all up afterwards.
I have about 12 of those 8l PET kegs that have sat mostly idle since I got 19l & 20L kegs. Now I can pack one in the esky, tap & gas included and still fit a few bottles in for the missus.

FOOTNOTE: I would add I've only set up the FC tap last night. I'm happy with the result but if you're considering buying this product keep in mind the pour can be fairly slow compared to a full sized tap. It's fine for personal use but could be painful if you're trying to serve numerous beers quickly.

Edited by Beerdo
  • Like 5

On 8/22/2024 at 5:45 AM, Beerdo said:

Precisely my plan, SOS. I recently took a 20l keg to a party. It was fun showing off my keg and beer but it was a little clumsy packing it all up afterwards.
I have about 12 of those 8l PET kegs that have sat mostly idle since I got 19l & 20L kegs. Now I can pack one in the esky, tap & gas included and still fit a few bottles in for the missus.

FOOTNOTE: I would add I've only set up the FC tap last night. I'm happy with the result but if you're considering buying this product keep in mind the pour can be fairly slow compared to a full sized tap. It's fine for personal use but could be painful if you're trying to serve numerous beers quickly.

I use a similar set up, but I use a 4 Lt Keg. I bought 3 of these four litre kegs so I could keg a whole 23 litre brew (19+4=23Lt)

I use an adjustable tap for flow control and a small CO2 regulator and 16gm CO2 gas bulb. I found the one CO2 bulb would be enough to empty the 4 Lt keg. ✅
The only drawback with my set up is the head height I need to stand the keg up with the tap head and tap and reg fitted in a fridge. 
However, to take as a roadie this setup fits nicely in a cooler bag we have which has a small top hatch that allows the tap head, tap and reg to poke out - perfect for pouring from.  So a coupla of ice bricks around the keg in the cooler and Bob is my uncle and Fanny’s the girl - WOOHOO beers ta go 🥳 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2nd attempt at the Botanic ale. I changed up this brew with a mini mash of Carapils, I also left the Nectaron hops in for the full ferment (1st batch the Nectaron was only in for 5 days) and I used a cultured CCA yeast this time instead of the Nottingham I used in the 1st batch. OG was 1.059 and it finished at 1.015 for 5.8% ABV. 18 days in the fermenter.

Kegged today and I am looking forward to tasting it.

2676e.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/22/2024 at 7:08 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Took the keg package to a party last night. Plonked it all in a 33 litre esky along with the wife's drinks. It was good not having to mess with beer line or a cumbersome CO2 tank. For most of the night I just used the pressure already inside the keg to serve and then slapped the CO2 bulb charger on as the pour slowed up.
I got talking to a young bloke who also brews and I could see a bit of keg envy in his eyes and I got a bit of head wobble. 😁

Edited by Beerdo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Not sure whether this is against the rules Frank, @Coopers DIY Beer Team, so please delete if this post is out or order.

I can't brew at the moment, (long story), but I've come across the following and it seems like a reasonable work around for me at the moment. I'd never heard of these guys before. Has anyone else had any dealings with this mob?

They're called the Beer Factory and they do a swap and go keg refill. Seems pretty good to me. 

• Like 5

On 8/26/2024 at 8:30 AM, Tricky Micky said:

Not sure whether this is against the rules Frank, @Coopers DIY Beer Team, so please delete if this post is out or order.

I can't brew at the moment, (long story), but I've come across the following and it seems like a reasonable work around for me at the moment. I'd never heard of these guys before. Has anyone else had any dealings with this mob?

They're called the Beer Factory and they do a swap and go keg refill. Seems pretty good to me. 

Same as here in Adelaide I bought my kegerator off them and was filling my kegs there for 2 years before I started brewing the name is very similar but I won't put a link here. Really good concept if you can't or don't brew. When you get them filled they are chilled and gased take them home wait an hour for them to settle down purge the keg connect your lines and start pouring.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it is a good alternative, as @Back Brewing said there is a similar place in Adelaide who also fills kegs, he can actually fill your own instead of swap & go. A couple of my mates go there all of the time, I go now & again for a quick keg fill in between brews, the beer is good & he is also a customer of mine, so I like to keep in touch.

They use Coopers products to make all of their beers so I don't think Frank would mind.

Obviously, the place in Melbourne is much bigger but it appears to be a similar concept.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Same as here in Adelaide I bought my kegerator off them and was filling my kegs there for 2 years before I started brewing the name is very similar but I won't put a link here. Really good concept if you can't or don't brew. When you get them filled they are chilled and gased take them home wait an hour for them to settle down purge the keg connect your lines and start pouring.

Thanks BB, much appreciated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, it is a good alternative, as @Back Brewing said there is a similar place in Adelaide who also fills kegs, he can actually fill your own instead of swap & go. A couple of my mates go there all of the time, I go now & again for a quick keg fill in between brews, the beer is good & he is also a customer of mine, so I like to keep in touch.

They use Coopers products to make all of their beers so I don't think Frank would mind.

Obviously, the place in Melbourne is much bigger but it appears to be a similar concept.

Good onya Phil, cheers mate. Looking at the blurb from these guys I think I can use my own kegs as well. I note they do a clone of Coopers PA. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Good onya Phil, cheers mate. Looking at the blurb from these guys I think I can use my own kegs as well. I note they do a clone of Coopers PA. 

The one in Adelaide always has an extensive range of clones as well as his own recipes, he has been there a long time & most of the beers are spot on.

• Like 3

Mick

While i have not  been or purchased there beers, i can tell you i have had a few of there beers as a friend of mine   does this through them (not sure wether he still does  or not)

They are  fairly  good beers for how they are brewed

Give it ago   and my adviceto you  is  buy a crap keg to swap with them as the condition of the kegs  for swap and go may not be great.

Alternatively  give a few craft breweries a call to see if they will do keg fill for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Mick

While i have not  been or purchased there beers, i can tell you i have had a few of there beers as a friend of mine   does this through them (not sure wether he still does  or not)

They are  fairly  good beers for how they are brewed

Give it ago   and my adviceto you  is  buy a crap keg to swap with them as the condition of the kegs  for swap and go may not be great.

Alternatively  give a few craft breweries a call to see if they will do keg fill for you

Thanks Ozzie, much appreciated.

It's a shame you're in Melbourne, Micky. I'd happily brew for you in exchange for some of those lovely Asian dishes your lovely wife prepares.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

It's a shame you're in Melbourne, Micky. I'd happily brew for you in exchange for some of those lovely Asian dishes your lovely wife prepares.

What a great deal that'd be for me 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

I can't brew at the moment, (long story), but I've come across the following and it seems like a reasonable work around for me at the moment.

@Tricky Micky,  hey there brewing brother.  I hope you are recovering well and I am looking forward to catching up with you when you are fit and able to.

I have the exact same but opposite problem.   As you are aware, I am away from home to sort out my fathers end of life medical dramas and look after his future well being as best I can and therefore cannot drink any of my home brewed beers, just too far away.  I have plenty of fully loaded kegs of various beers and also two fully loaded 58 L Kegmenter's that are over-due to be kegged and are currently (thanks to my HSSH at home) cold crashing them to 2 C.

One Kegmenter is my COPA recipe and the other is a Premium Pale Lager.  When I get back I would be more than happy to give you a couple of kegs of these, gassed and ready to go.  Or, if you can, give me two MT sanitized kegs and I will fill them for you.

Hope you are well on the road to being your old self.  Anyway happy to shout you a beer in this situation.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Tricky Micky,  hey there brewing brother.  I hope you are recovering well and I am looking forward to catching up with you when you are fit and able to.

I have the exact same but opposite problem.   As you are aware, I am away from home to sort out my fathers end of life medical dramas and look after his future well being as best I can and therefore cannot drink any of my home brewed beers, just too far away.  I have plenty of fully loaded kegs of various beers and also two fully loaded 58 L Kegmenter's that are over-due to be kegged and are currently (thanks to my HSSH at home) cold crashing them to 2 C.

One Kegmenter is my COPA recipe and the other is a Premium Pale Lager.  When I get back I would be more than happy to give you a couple of kegs of these, gassed and ready to go.  Or, if you can, give me two MT sanitized kegs and I will fill them for you.

Hope you are well on the road to being your old self.  Anyway happy to shout you a beer in this situation.

Cheers - AL

Hey Al, @iBooz2, what can I say mate other than you are a star my friend. That's so very generous of you mate, I'm a bit lost for words TBH. As you know I can't lift anything heavy for a while and probably won't be able to brew for a few months. I would definitely love a keg of the COPA if that works for you but only on the proviso that we work  out a bit of a "swap deal" "like for like" sorta thing or some such. 

Mate, please look after yourself and I trust all goes well with your Dad - tough gig you got there. Safe travels Al.

Cheers Mick

• Like 6

G'day Micky. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, it's a little hectic around here at the moment (Brand Home opens to the public and tours commence tomorrow), so we're busy putting the final touches to the place. 🙂 Yeah, I had to delete the link, sorry mate, but I'm happy for you to talk about the fact that they are helping you out while you can't brew. I hope you're OK.

Cheers, Frank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

G'day Micky. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, it's a little hectic around here at the moment (Brand Home opens to the public and tours commence tomorrow), so we're busy putting the final touches to the place. 🙂 Yeah, I had to delete the link, sorry mate, but I'm happy for you to talk about the fact that they are helping you out while you can't brew. I hope you're OK.

Cheers, Frank.

Cheers Frank, sorry about the link mate. Glad you could get rid of it. I hope all goes well with Brand Home opening mate. I'm out of action for a few  months but hoping to get stuck back into it after that. Cheers Frank.

• Like 2

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegging day - My Dunkel Weizen

Got 18 L and 8.7 L keg plus 4 Grolshies.

Squeezing the last drops out of the fermenter by tilting it a bit.

IMG_4550.JPG.e5f0b9b57327214ae41d328154781830.JPG

So by the looks of it you are kegging them fermented and cared under pressure in 14 days is that right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

So by the looks of it you are kegging them fermented and cared under pressure in 14 days is that right?

Yep, that's about right.

Although this one was not under pressure, even though it is a pressure fermenter.  I just had a gas disconnect on the gas post, with some tubing going to a small jug of sanitiser.

This one took a while as the WB-06 yeast seems to take a while to finish off.

Lagers take a bit longer because I ramp the temperature up to the diacetyl rest and down to cold crashing temperature.  Plus I add finings in the fermenter.

• Like 1