Coopers Community

Lamington stout

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

No need to be a sarcastic pillock. I'm merely asking why would you add complications to your brew by trying to fish out the hop bag?

Just kegged this. 90 grams of hops in the trub. Not one issue whatsoever. 

Do what you feel is best for you but I'm stating my opinion that it's unnecessary.

IMG_20240109_193252.jpg

Also another point away from me being as sanitary as I can be. See how clear the very last drop of liquid is on top of the trub.

Without sticking unwanted crap in the fermenter and squeezing stuff and stirring it all up. Thats a very small slither of beer.

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

How do you put the first glove on?

Both gloves are put on as expected. I then sanitize both gloves after they are on my hands. 1st glove is pulled over my hand, as is the 2nd glove, doesn't really make any difference how they are put on, the big thing is to make sure that they are sanitized after they are put on my hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Both gloves are put on as expected. I then sanitize both gloves after they are on my hands. 1st glove is pulled over my hand, as is the 2nd glove, doesn't really make any difference how they are put on, the big thing is to make sure that they are sanitized after they are put on my hands.

Wow.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'll see if this forum has a block option. Sadly you'll be my first ever if so.

That would be a shame Pale Man.

You raise very good points and are 100% correct.

I use sanitised gloves to remove the dry hop bag because my dry hops would otherwise be in my brews for over a week.  This can cause grassy flavours, not always but sometimes.  Galaxy has been a culprit for me in the past.  Mine is not best practice and comes with risks, as you note.

I sometimes wonder about the benefits of squeezing the bag.  It is one of the risks.  I am probably more interested in getting the extra beer out of the bag than the hop aroma.

• Like 1

Theres not much left in a dry hop after you're ready to keg or bottle. All the flavour is already extracted.

Except for the grassy overtones and unwanted flavours from the left-over hop matter but that does depend on how long you dry hop for.  Two days max for me and I always take out the hop sock by its string and drop it into a sanitised coffee plunger to drain the fresh two-day old juices, not the left in hop matter week-old grass flavours, then tip that liquid back into my FV.

49 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

There is always chance of infection at the end of a brew.

Agreed, you can get a diastaticus infection even after all the sugars have been consumed by the yeast.  Diastaticus will consume your underpants if you stand close enough and long enough near your FV

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

@Classic Brewing Co said he sanitises his hands and does the same

Very hard if not impossible to sanitise your hands.

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

But squeeze with your hands.........do you realise gloves arent any more sanitary than your hands??

They are actually, the calculated surface area of both your hands (taking in account skin pores, hairs, follicles loose skin flake etc. etc. would probably cover an entire tennis court.  The calculated surface area of a medic glove would probably cover, well, just over two hands in area.  but they do stretch a bit so let's say 1.5 times the apparent visual area of your hands.

24 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

By using your hands, or your mouth in your case @Pale Man but then like the rest of us we spray sanitiser on the gloves and wait the recommended time for it do to its work.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I hope this does not sound like "pick on @Pale Man night"

Nah all good @Shamus O'Sean I give as much as I get. I love a good robust debate when it comes to brewing beer. I'm very passionate.

I'll love everyone in the next five minutes. I hope they love me too 😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

That sanitized string is a good idea I reckon  I seen a pic of someone doing it that way you can pull it out and squeeze the goodness out before kegging/bottling that is the way I will go from now on

@Back Brewing get yourself a 4-cup coffee plunger from K-mart or Big W.  I have both a 4-cup and 6-cup units and use them all the time in my brewery.  The 4 cup is ideal for small hop sock additions as it will actually press all the way down to the bottom of the container (jug) and hence get all the fluid out of the sock.  The 6 cup ones will not.  The plunger handle on the 6-cup hits the top of the lid before the SS mesh gets anywhere near the bottom of the container (jug) so this one cannot press small quantities of hops fully out and some fluid remains as waste.  Ok with big hop additions though so its horses for courses.  You will know what I mean when you look at both these coffee plungers.  Lift out your dry hop sock additions and drop them into a sanitised coffee plunger.  Way to go IMO.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeez I missed all of this, I had visitors, I think I may have stated this once somewhere if I ever stuck any part of my fingers into the FV I would have sprayed my hand with sanitiser, if I am wrong, I will stand corrected & if anyone has the time or could be bothered to drag out an old post of mine that says otherwise, go for it.

I totally agree with @Pale Man 

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

There is always chance of infection at the end of a brew, including into your beer lines and keg. Or bottling.

Thats why i dont stick my hands in my fermenter after, or anything else for that matter.

And i'm sure its not practice with micro, craft or main stream brewerys.

16 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Dont know what went wrong but tried to post this last night but didnt work?

Mate,

I think you will find he Dons the gloves then rinse/spray them with a solution. Well that's how I would do it. In any case with practice it isn't hard to put on gloves and minimise the contamination. (this is old news now)

I thought the string was a great way to go. 

IMO Bacteria are everywhere including in the air. So there is a risk associated with just having a peek. Keep it all in perspective, but cerainly agree that you should sanitise anything that  touches the wort. But cleaning is a higher ptiority IMO.

Anyway it's a naturally brewed dark beer. What's the big deal about disturbing the trub? Coopers stout has heaps in the bottle.   😃  .Apparently the so called experts here think a bit of sediment that's bad.   🙄

And the same applies to all HB IMHO.

It is what it is. But if thats your thing good luck. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Dont know what went wrong but tried to post this last night but didnt work?

Mate,

I think you will find he Dons the gloves then rinse/spray them with a solution. Well that's how I would do it. In any case with practice it isn't hard to put on gloves and minimise the contamination. (this is old news now)

I thought the string was a great way to go. 

IMO Bacteria are everywhere including in the air. So there is a risk associated with just having a peek. Keep it all in perspective, but cerainly agree that you should sanitise anything that  touches the wort. But cleaning is a higher ptiority IMO.

Anyway it's a naturally brewed dark beer. What's the big deal about disturbing the trub? Coopers stout has heaps in the bottle.   😃  .Apparently the so called experts here think a bit of sediment that's bad.   🙄

And the same applies to all HB IMHO.

It is what it is. But if thats your thing good luck. 

Yes, that's the way. Brewing gloves go on, get sprayed and Robert is your father's brother. It really isn't rocket science 🙂

While there is active fermentation going on and you don't disturb it, there is a thin layer of CO2 on top of the work, which prevents bacteria from doing bad things, so taking a peek is perfectly fine. There are breweries that ferment in open vessels. They'd have fun if it was easy for bacteria to wreak havoc.

As for sediment, is it bad for you? No! Is it aesthetically pleasing? No! Does it have side effects? Yes! Does it affect the taste of beer? Absolutely but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. If you cold crash (yes, I know, I know), the trub gets compacted and thus is harder to disturb. It is possible to gently stir in priming sugar for example (yes, I know, I know) without disturbing the trub. 

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, that's the way. Brewing gloves go on, get sprayed and Robert is your father's brother. It really isn't rocket science 🙂

While there is active fermentation going on and you don't disturb it, there is a thin layer of CO2 on top of the work, which prevents bacteria from doing bad things, so taking a peek is perfectly fine. There are breweries that ferment in open vessels. They'd have fun if it was easy for bacteria to wreak havoc.

As for sediment, is it bad for you? No! Is it aesthetically pleasing? No! Does it have side effects? Yes! Does it affect the taste of beer? Absolutely but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. If you cold crash (yes, I know, I know), the trub gets compacted and thus is harder to disturb. It is possible to gently stir in priming sugar for example (yes, I know, I know) without disturbing the trub. 

Agree, taking a peek is very low risk. 

• Like 1

I guess my whole point on this subject, is why do it if its not necessary? You're just adding another step in the process thats not needed.

Even if your hands are cleaner than a brain surgeons, why even bother? I've never once had a hop bag or sock block the tap while packaging.

" IF " it does block...........then take the step of putting on surgeons gloves and go fishing in your wort. As a back up plan. Its a plan B, not A.

When I open my fermenter to dry hop I even cringe then, but active fermentation is still happening, I carefully place the hop bag furthest away from the tap when i open the lid to chuck it in. Usually it sinks at the back and bottom, and gets bogged in the trub. Thus is absolutey no issue, and no need to stick rubber gloves and hairy arms in and go fishing. What a PITA that must be.

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

As for sediment, is it bad for you? No!

I didnt once say it was. But i'm at the stage in my brewing that I'd like a nice clear beer to suit the style. Depending what I'm brewing. I have a passion for my brewing and take pride in it.

Brewing beer is basic and simple, when you add extra steps that are not necessary, it becomes more complicated.

Newbies shy away from the hobby because they become overwhelmed with what is not necessary.

24 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I guess my whole point on this subject, is why do it if its not necessary? You're just adding another step in the process thats not needed.

Even if your hands are cleaner than a brain surgeons, why even bother? I've never once had a hop bag or sock block the tap while packaging.

" IF " it does block...........then take the step of putting on surgeons gloves and go fishing in your wort. As a back up plan. Its a plan B, not A.

When I open my fermenter to dry hop I even cringe then, but active fermentation is still happening, I carefully place the hop bag furthest away from the tap when i open the lid to chuck it in. Usually it sinks at the back and bottom, and gets bogged in the trub. Thus is absolutey no issue, and no need to stick rubber gloves and hairy arms in and go fishing. What a PITA that must be.

I agree, the sock always sinks to the bottom, every time I have kegged, I don't even take the lid off the fermenter until the last minute.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree, the sock always sinks to the bottom, every time I have kegged, I don't even take the lid off the fermenter until the last minute.

Unless you have the sock weighted down it always floats on the top it goes down as the level goes down 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Unless you have the sock weighted down it always floats on the top it goes down as the level goes down 

I never have once weighed my hop bags down, the hops soak up beer and get bloated and sink to the bottom.

So if your hop socks float, how is it they are blocking your tap up? It doesn't make sense.

39 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah well that's right, I have never weighted it down, there is no need, if you want to, go for it, it is just another object in your brew.

The less the better you would reckon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah well that's right, I have never weighted it down, there is no need, if you want to, go for it, it is just another object in your brew.

The less the better you would reckon. 

Absolutely less is more I don't weigh my hop socks down I was just commenting that the hop sock doesn't sink it stays at the top that is why you can get them out

If they were at the bottom obviously you wouldn't even try to get them out

Just now, Back Brewing said:

Absolutely less is more I don't weigh my hop socks down I was just commenting that the hop sock doesn't sink it stays at the top that is why you can get them out

If they were at the bottom obviously you wouldn't even try to get them out

I thought we all knew that & as far as blocking the tap, that's never happened to me.

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I didnt once say it was. But i'm at the stage in my brewing that I'd like a nice clear beer to suit the style. Depending what I'm brewing. I have a passion for my brewing and take pride in it.

Brewing beer is basic and simple, when you add extra steps that are not necessary, it becomes more complicated.

Newbies shy away from the hobby because they become overwhelmed with what is not necessary.

Sorry mate, never referred to you. Just simply a reply to "Coopers Stout has a lot of it" to paraphrase the statement. 

I am with you when it comes to clear beer, at least when it comes to lagers. Ales I don't care too much, especially dark ones. But yes, light beers just look better clear.

• Like 1

I always weigh my hop sock down, so it is suspended in the beer about halfway between the surface and the bottom, that's if it's not a commando style dry hop where the beer is kegged very quickly after said commando hop (2 -3 days max). 

I do this for a number of reasons.

1. I want the dry hops to add flavour and aroma to my beer not the CO2 / air mix above the surface.  Sure, if it floats on the surface then your FV will smell nice, but what a waste of time and hops that is.  Get it into the beer.
  2. I can give the string a little jiggle at any time over the next couple of days (before it is removed) to maximise beer contact with the submerged hops.  Whereas if some of the hops are not below the surface as in yours are floating then you are missing out on efficiencies.
  3. If your hop sock is below the surface, less contact with the C02 / air mix and surface scum therefore more unlikely for bugs to grow on the sock.
  4. I can use less dry hop additions to achieve the desired effect.

I remove the hop sock after 2 - 3 days, drain the liquid via a sanitised coffee plunger and jobs is done.  Leave them in too long and your beer will smell like a freshly mowed lawn.

• Like 3