Coopers Community

Lamington stout

Hi all,

day 7-8 on my first ‘advanced’ brew. Pretty new to it all. Is it unusual to have such a heavy sediment layer for this particular brew?

image.thumb.jpg.cf2af443884eb665ac86ae7d9339c8dd.jpg Also do I remove the desiccated coconut or leave in until bottling day?

Also obviously do not stir or mix this just prior to bottling, just let it do its thing ….

kind regards Thankyou 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Newtobrewing said:

Hi all,

day 7-8 on my first ‘advanced’ brew. Pretty new to it all. Is it unusual to have such a heavy sediment layer for this particular brew?

image.thumb.jpg.cf2af443884eb665ac86ae7d9339c8dd.jpg Also do I remove the desiccated coconut or leave in until bottling day?

Also obviously do not stir or mix this just prior to bottling, just let it do its thing ….

kind regards Thankyou 

All normal.

Leave the coconut, and do not disturb your fermenter at all. Just bottle.

• Like 2

I've not done this Brew, but it reads to me, that you have used the coconut like a dry hop, if so I'd take the bag or cloth Out.

Which might make bottling easier, when it's time to bottle.

• Like 2

Yes it’s wrapped in a cloth taken straight from the packet and tied up. Its essentially 3 quarters submerged floating just below the surface. I’m guessing the longer it’s left the more lingering coconut flavour there might be. 

I’m due to do a sg test tonight and hopefully fermentation has done its thing within the next 5-7 days 

ok thanks if it becomes an issue I will carefully remove just prior to bottling 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I've not done this Brew, but it reads to me, that you have used the coconut like a dry hop, if so I'd take the bag or cloth Out.

Which might make bottling easier, when it's time to bottle.

Why would you? Ive never taken a hop bag out, it has no effect on bottling. All your doing is sticking stuff in the brew and disturbing it unnecessarily.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Why would you? Ive never taken a hop bag out, it has no effect on bottling. All your doing is sticking stuff in the brew and disturbing it unnecessarily.

I agree, you can leave it right to the end, it just goes down with the wort & will finish on the trub.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Newtobrewing said:

ok thanks if it becomes an issue I will carefully remove just prior to bottling 

The only drama you might have is if the bag decides to lodge itself next to the tap outlet. You can just fish it out with a sanitised pair of tongs if it flows too slowly. 

You could take it out to begin with and give it a bit of a squeeze with the tongs. Minimise the splashing as much as possible.

I have done both ways. I'd just leave it in and hope for no blockages. You should be fine 👍🏽

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I Bow to your superior knowledge!

However, I will keep taking my hop sock out, before bottling.

Mine is attached to a string and it's not doing any harm to lift it out before Bottling.

Each to their Own...

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 6:57 AM, DavidM said:

I Bow to your superior knowledge!

No need to be a sarcastic pillock. I'm merely asking why would you add complications to your brew by trying to fish out the hop bag?

Just kegged this. 90 grams of hops in the trub. Not one issue whatsoever. 

Do what you feel is best for you but I'm stating my opinion that it's unnecessary.

IMG_20240109_193252.jpg

• Sad 1

I asked the same question on here and @Shamus O'Sean said he uses gloves to remove them and squeezes all the goodness out of the bag and @Classic Brewing Co said he sanitises his hands and does the same

So that's what I do and it hasn't affected the brew but as has been said each to their own and what works for you there is no one size fits all in brewing 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I asked the same question on here and @Shamus O'Sean said he uses gloves to remove them and squeezes all the goodness out of the bag and @Classic Brewing Co said he sanitises his hands and does the same

So that's what I do and it hasn't affected the brew but as has been said each to their own and what works for you there is no one size fits all in brewing 

And thats why I'm stating my opinion that its totally unnecessary...........each to their own, as you stated.

Theres not much left in a dry hop after you're ready to keg or bottle. All the flavour is already extracted. So why risk sticking anything in your fermenter, including your hands and stirring up a perfectly good brew thats done its job? let alone squeezing it into your fermenter.. Ive actually fainted hearing this.

Do you realise your yeast after fermentation is vunerable, gone to sleep. And you want to stick your mits and squeeze a hop bag. Well go for it mate.

My opinion.

Edited by Pale Man

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Ive actually fainted hearing this.

🤣🤣 how long were you out for

There was another post on here somewhere from someone and they put a pic up where they had to keep shifting it because it kept blocking the tap

2 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

🤣🤣 how long were you out for

There was another post on here somewhere from someone and they put a pic up where they had to keep shifting it because it kept blocking the tap

Yeah whatever. Youre boring me. I cant be bothered spending energy anymore answering you. You're bordering on being a troll.

I'll see if this forum has a block option. Sadly you'll be my first ever if so.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

And thats why I'm stating my opinion that its totally unnecessary...........each to their own, as you stated.

Theres not much left in a dry hop after you're ready to keg or bottle. All the flavour is already extracted. So why risk sticking anything in your fermenter, including your hands and stirring up a perfectly good brew thats done its job? let alone squeezing it into your fermenter.. Ive actually fainted hearing this.

Do you realise your yeast after fermentation is vunerable, gone to sleep. And you want to stick your mits and squeeze a hop bag. Well go for it mate.

My opinion.

My take.

There is little chance of an infection at the end of the brew, almost all of the sugar has been consumed by the yeast at the late stage of the fermentation, remember that yeast is only able to consume the sugar (same applies to wild yeasts that may cause an infection). If you leave the hops in too long on a dry hop you may also get the grassy flavour that is not nice. Squeezing the hop bag with sterilized gloved hands can extract all those lovely aromas and tastes that we aim for with a dry hop.

My method of dry hopping is to use sanitized Chux clothe with some sanitized SS rings (for weight, makes the hop bag sink) and a sanitized length of string. After 4 days I will take the hop bag out by using the string and then squeeze it to get the hop characteristics out of the hops. Works for me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

There is little chance of an infection at the end of the brew.

There is always chance of infection at the end of a brew, including into your beer lines and keg. Or bottling.

Thats why i dont stick my hands in my fermenter after, or anything else for that matter.

And i'm sure its not practice with micro, craft or main stream brewerys.

Just adding to that. I thoroughly sanitise my kegs, my beer lines and everything else post fermentation. Sticking my big smelly hands or anything else in a fermented beer is not included. My beers are testament to this practice.

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

There is always chance of infection at the end of a brew, including into your beer lines and keg. Or bottling.

Thats why i dont stick my hands in my fermenter after, or anything else for that matter.

And i'm sure its not practice with micro, craft or main stream brewerys.

I do not stick my big smelly hands in the fermenter, I have a sanitized string on the hop bag and just use that to hoist the hop bag out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Squeezing the hop bag with sterilized gloved hands can extract all those lovely aromas and tastes that we aim for with a dry hop.

After 4 days I will take the hop bag out by using the string and then squeeze it to get the hop characteristics out of the hops. Works for me.

In my opinion you're not dry hopping properly then. Either not using sufficient hops or whatever the case. If you have to squeeze it into your fermenter with gloves or not.

If it works for you, by all means do it. I bloody wouldn't. Hops have astringency too. Good luck.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

I do not stick my big smelly hands in the fermenter, I have a sanitized string on the hop bag and just use that to hoist the hop bag out.

But squeeze with your hands.........do you realise gloves arent any more sanitary than your hands??

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

That sanitized string is a good idea I reckon  I seen a pic of someone doing it that way you can pull it out and squeeze the goodness out before kegging/bottling that is the way I will go from now on

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Was it you who put the pic up that showed the wort soaking up the string?

8 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK gloved hands that have been sanitized are not sanitary, ie the gloves. I will keep that in mind.

So why do surgeons use sanitized gloves when they operate?

How do you put the first glove on?