Coopers Community

WHATS ON THE MENU 2024

Australian Pink Ling Fish tonight, I like this fish, being a member of the Cod family it has a nice firm flesh lending itself to heaps of recipes,  I have to go out for drinks, so it may get battered & served with the old chips & salad method.

20240727_144346.thumb.jpg.64b2db45cbc9b862ce86425a168be8c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Australian Pink Ling Fish tonight, I like this fish, being a member of the Cod family it has a nice firm flesh lending itself to heaps of recipes,  I have to go out for drinks, so it may get battered & served with the old chips & salad method.

20240727_144346.thumb.jpg.64b2db45cbc9b862ce86425a168be8c9.jpg

I like the fish shaped plate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I like the fish shaped plate.

So do I  Jenny, I have had 2 of them for years,  I always keep them in the same plaice. 🤣

Seriously,  it doesn't take much to serve dishes in the appropriate plate,  eg: pasta, pizza etc. makes life feel like right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

What do you put in your meat loaf @Classic Brewing Co? I haven't made one for ages. 

Sure Jenny,

I based mine on this recipe: the secret is to have roughly 1/2 fine ground mince & 1/2 sausage meat; I have even made chicken meat loaf with chicken mince & finely chopped chicken. The same with pork, you can use any combination.

Great with gravy & veg for hot meal on a cold night.

500g lean beef mince
450g sausage meat, or sausages, peeled
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 egg
1 cup grated carrot
½ cup chopped parsley
2 tsp prepared mustard
2 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
pepper

Topping:
2 Tbsp rolled oats
1 Tbsp Chelsea brown sugar
2 Tbsp tomato sauce
¼ cup chopped parsley
Method

Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
Combine the mince, sausage meat, or peeled sausages, onion, garlic, egg, carrot, parsley, mustard, herbs, salt and the pepper to taste. Mix well. Combine all the topping ingredients.
Press the mixture into a 22cm loaf tin, spread with the prepared topping and cover with tinfoil
Cook for 30 minutes then remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Serve hot or cold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Finally I sat down to dinner, this is awesome, first photo a bit rushed but I can tell you, this in nice.

I can recommend cooking Silverside in the slow cooker. 

20240801_182348.thumb.jpg.8ea62455ffe2cd0983b2936fa3aff1af.jpg20240801_182627.thumb.jpg.417d964bd883c9717e0a2d614a350eff.jpg

I have always cooked silverside (corned horse) in a slow cooker. Is there any other method to cook it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You can simmer on the stove top as well, not quite as tender though. 

Boiling is the fastest and easiest way I reckon (it's also the only way I've ever done it).

I recently introduced this to the Missus. She'd never had it and thought boiled meat would be the saddest thing in the world. But in the end she actually quite like it 😄 Mustard on the side mandatory.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have always cooked silverside (corned horse) in a slow cooker. Is there any other method to cook it?

I usually slow cook in a Dutch oven or any cast iron pot on the stovetop. SWMBO uses the slow cookers we have but I only use one of them for making Glühwein...which reminds me... 🙂 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Boiling is the fastest and easiest way I reckon (it's also the only way I've ever done it).

I recently introduced this to the Missus. She'd never had it and thought boiled meat would be the saddest thing in the world. But in the end she actually quite like it 😄 Mustard on the side mandatory.

I have always placed the meat on top of the cooking vegetables (sliced onion/carrot/celery/garlic etc.) & added vinegar/red wine/brown sugar/whole peppercorns/chili/rosemary/parsley & filled with cold water & bring to the boil.

Once the boil is reached, I turn it down to a steady simmer & leave it for the desired time depending on the weight of the meat.

https://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/cook-silverside/ooa9r22l?nk=1901521aa42e0c2417cf2eb0f45fa932-1715528168

This method has been around for a long time including many variations, so it is up to you how you want to cook it.

As the bottom link suggests, low & slow is best.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/corned-silverside-slow-cooker-style/4b159de7-57a7-4453-b21d-62ae0f078a79

My Grandmother wouldn't agree as in those days everything would get boiled including the household washing!

I have always found more flavour comes from slow cooking & the meat is so much more tender.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I usually slow cook in a Dutch oven or any cast iron pot on the stovetop. SWMBO uses the slow cookers we have but I only use one of them for making Glühwein...which reminds me... 🙂 

Mulled wine is really nice, I quite often make it in the winter, your Glühwein recipe is very similar to how we make it.

At the end of the day, you could use anything to flavour it I suppose

• Like 2