Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Except something happened to the glass while you were drinking.

Ha ha . I see it now. The photo of the full glass I took two days ago, the empty one today after finishing another stubby of the same brew. Well spotted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

Ha ha . I see it now. The photo of the full glass I took two days ago, the empty one today after finishing another stubby of the same brew. Well spotted 

Can't trick the Coopers Community @Brauhaus Fritz II! I am going to try to make a Coopers Botanical as soon as my Nectaron hops from Kegland arrive. I have the juniper berries. The recipe I found on line ingredients are: 

1. 1 x 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale.
  2. 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 3.
  3. 2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt.
  4. 1 x 50g Nectaron Hops.
  5. 1 x 25g Juniper Berries.
  6. 1 × Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture (or use the supplied brew can yeast)

Is this what you used? Did you keep your brew at 18deg?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Can't trick the Coopers Community @Brauhaus Fritz II! I am going to try to make a Coopers Botanical as soon as my Nectaron hops from Kegland arrive. I have the juniper berries. The recipe I found on line ingredients are: 

Yes @jennyss that’s what I used. I followed the recipe. I used the can yeast and a spare coopers ale yeast. I kept it on 18.5 degrees (I think, my record keeping got a bit slack).  OG 1056. FG 1016. Fermented for 10 days and now it’s three month old

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz II
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I made mine up to 27 litres.  I added 300g Of Light Dry Malt plus 300g of Sugar to keep it around the same ABV.  I also used 60g of Nectaron hops instead of 50g.   I kept the Juniper Berries at 25g because that's what came in the RotM I bought from Coopers.  Fermented with Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.   18°C for three days then up to 20°C for 3.5 days once SG had dropped below 1.020.  Then cold crashed for 4 days.  OG was 1.055.  FG was 1.010

Here is my side-by-side tasting notes.

• Like 6

A pint of my second little creatures rogers clone the taste of toffee and chocolate really come through the different way I did the late hop additions really made a difference

20240816_170003.thumb.jpg.9a6fefa704834eb2d2876266235cc26c.jpg

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

A pint of my second little creatures rogers clone the taste of toffee and chocolate really come through the different way I did the late hop additions really made a difference

20240816_170003.thumb.jpg.9a6fefa704834eb2d2876266235cc26c.jpg

Hey @Back Brewing, Little Creatures Rogers Ale is a fav of mine.
Your brew is an AG brew, right ? Not the Coopers Kit 'n Bits Recipe  Roger, Roger Ale.
I've made the the Coopers Recipe and really quite liked it (Made it twice actually 😉 😋) their recipe calls for bittering with 25gm of EKG (15min boil) and then a hopstand of 25g of Cascade for 1 hour, with a final dry of of 25g of Chinook. 

What was different about your late hop additions ?
What yeast did you use? (again the Coopers recipe calls for 1 x 11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @Back Brewing, Little Creatures Rogers Ale is a fav of mine.
Your brew is an AG brew, right ? Not the Coopers Kit 'n Bits Recipe  Roger, Roger Ale.
I've made the the Coopers Recipe and really quite liked it (Made it twice actually 😉 😋) their recipe calls for bittering with 25gm of EKG (15min boil) and then a hopstand of 25g of Cascade for 1 hour, with a final dry of of 25g of Chinook. 

What was different about your late hop additions ?
What yeast did you use? (again the Coopers recipe calls for 1 x 11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast)

Yes it was AG and I used a yeast slurry of verdant from a previous brew and I did use East Kent Golding for bittering.

To get more flavour from the late addition hops I ran off 3 litres of wort into a saucepan from the cube which I  had cooled to 12c in the ferment fridge. I brought it to the boil then added 30g of cascade and 30g of Stella I let them boil for 2 minutes turned off the heat then let them steep for 20 minutes in a whirlpool. I then put that into the FV and poured the 12c cube into the FV.

This resulted in the wort at 19c and I pitched the yeast the resultant brew has more pronounced hop flavour which I'm really enjoying.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Yes it was AG and I used a yeast slurry of verdant from a previous brew and I did use East Kent Golding for bittering.

To get more flavour from the late addition hops I ran off 3 litres of wort from the cube which I  had cooled to 12c in the ferment fridge. I brought it to the boil then added 30g of cascade and 30g of Stella I let them boil for 2 minutes then let them steep for 20 minutes in a whirlpool. I then put that into the FV and poured the 12c cube into the FV.

This resulted in the wort at 19c and I pitched the yeast the resultant brew has more pronounced hop flavour which I'm really enjoying.

Well alrighty then - an interesting process. - Thanks for sharing 😉

Enjoy ! 🍺 🍺

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Well alrighty then - an interesting process. - Thanks for sharing 😉

Enjoy ! 🍺 🍺

No worries it's not my process it's something I picked up from the net I always noticed how guys who chill their wort after the boil then do late additions were always saying how the hop aroma and flavour were excellent so I went searching on how to get the results with no chill.

This rogers clone is the second one I've brewed exactly the same except for how I did the late additions and side by side the second batch is definitely way better aroma and flavour wise than the first. I reckon all my flameout, and hop stands will be done this way from now on 👍

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

No worries it's not my process it's something I picked up from the net I always noticed how guys who chill their wort after the boil then do late additions were always saying how the hop aroma and flavour were excellent so I went searching on how to get the results with no chill.

This rogers clone is the second one I've brewed exactly the same except for how I did the late additions and side by side the second batch is definitely way better aroma and flavour wise than the first. I reckon all my flameout, and hop stands will be done this way from now on 👍

Arrr again, some interesting insights - thanks for that @Back Brewing. I wonder what it is about the chilling of the wort before re-heating for hop additions that enhances the hop aroma and flavour.
Great outcome re the temp - that addition of the 3 litres of hop enhanced wort made it perfect for yeast pitching eh 🥳
Interesting your notes on the difference of a "side by side"  - that has to have sold the process for you eh

I love there is just so much to learn in home brewin' 🤓
Cheers again 🍺 🍺

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Arrr again, some interesting insights - thanks for that @Back Brewing. I wonder what it is about the chilling of the wort before re-heating for hop additions that enhances the hop aroma and flavour.
Great outcome re the temp - that addition of the 3 litres of hop enhanced wort made it perfect for yeast pitching eh 🥳
Interesting your notes on the difference of a "side by side"  - that has to have sold the process for you eh

I love there is just so much to learn in home brewin' 🤓
Cheers again 🍺 🍺

By doing the hop additions this way when you pour it into the FV and pour the 12c on top you are cooling that wort down which stops the bittering process from the hop oil that is in the hot wort.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

To get more flavour from the late addition hops I ran off 3 litres of wort into a saucepan from the cube which I  had cooled to 12c in the ferment fridge. I brought it to the boil then added 30g of cascade and 30g of Stella I let them boil for 2 minutes turned off the heat then let them steep for 20 minutes in a whirlpool. I then put that into the FV and poured the 12c cube into the FV.

I like that: run off some wort from the fermenting vessel for the hop infusion instead of adding extra water. I will try that with my next brew.

• Like 3