Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

This is my second batch of the Botanical. I used an Original Pale Ale tin as the base, and threw in 48g of Centennial in with the juniper berries. It was kegged on 5/7.

My oh my, what a beautiful drop! This will be on the recurring list, that’s for sure 😃

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3888.jpeg

• Like 14

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

This is my second batch of the Botanical. I used an Original Pale Ale tin as the base, and threw in 48g of Centennial in with the juniper berries. It was kegged on 5/7.

My oh my, what a beautiful drop! This will be on the recurring list, that’s for sure 😃

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3888.jpeg

What a beauty Stquinta, lovely colour, nice head. You know the drill.

• Haha 1

Pezzza’s Pilly Larger, been a few months in the keg. Lovely drop! Beautiful clarity too, the polyclar works a treat. Since I left ot so long I could probably done without it. I am more than aware that plassie powder in foodstuff can’t be good but to hell with it, the ship’s long sailed on healthy consumption for me 🤣

IMG_3903.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

My attempt at the BlackBeard Schwarzbier Coopers Recipe, came out heavier than I expected, tastes a bit boozy but pretty good after only a couple of weeks at crash temp. Plan is to get a keg, and transfer it and let it age a bit (to hopefully mellow it out) so I can get the next brew under way.

20240726_175424.jpg

20240726_175439.jpg

• Like 10

@Triple B Brewing  Hey mate it's a working progress but this what I've used for most recent batch.

20 litre batch / abv 4.9%

●Morgans ginger beer.

1 kg of CSR raw sugar.

.500g of dextrose. (Have used dme, in past but I personally don't like a gb to malty)

●Steeped.

.250gs of light crystal @ 65° for 30 minutes. * (I generally grab whatever crystal grain I have available at the time,  I've used light,medium & dark crystal even carared. I use it for body & head retention more then colour or sweetness, although it no doubt adds a bit of both).

●Crush, grind & Boil.

5 cinnamon sticks 

15gs of cloves (yeah it's a lot but  I love the flavour!)

Star anise 

1 table spoon of ginger root extract 

Yeast nutrient 

Nottingham yeast. 

This is the recipe I used from 6 weeks ago when brewed, but I mix up ingredients depending on availability. 

Edited by Herbal Alchemy.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Herbal Alchemy. said:

@Triple B Brewing  Hey mate it's a working progress but this what I've used for most recent batch.

20 litre batch / abv 4.9%

●Morgans ginger beer.

1 kg of CSR raw sugar.

.500g of dextrose. (Have used dme, in past but I personally don't like a gb to malty)

●Steeped.

.250gs of light crystal @ 65° for 30 minutes. * (I generally grab whatever crystal grain I have available at the time,  I've used light,medium & dark crystal even carared. I use it for body & head retention more then colour or sweetness, although it no doubt adds a bit of both).

●Crush, grind & Boil.

5 cinnamon sticks 

15gs of cloves (yeah it's a lot but  I love the flavour!)

Star anise 

1 table spoon of ginger root extract 

Yeast nutrient 

Nottingham yeast. 

This is the recipe I used from 6 weeks ago when brewed, but I mix up ingredients depending on availability. 

Hey @Herbal Alchemy., thanks for that. Last summer, after making a successful non alcoholic version of an old recipe created from a GB plant for the grand kids for Christmas, I thought I'd try makin a alcoholic version using the same recipe and adding yeast (and a few grown up spices) to brew out all those (wasted😉) sugars.

Here's what I added and mixed into the home made ginger beer plant (as per the GB plant recipe attached below);

Ginger Beer.pdf

Ingredients:
•    4 cups sugar
•    4 cups boiling water
•    All the liquid from Ginger Plant
•    3 X tablespoons (25g) Powdered Ginger
•    Juice of 4 lemons (medium sized)
•    1 X star anise, 
•    1 X teaspoon nutmeg,
•    1 X teaspoon of cardamom powder 
•    1 X teaspoon of cinnamon
•    1 X chilli cut in half (lengthways - seeds left in)
•    28 cups cold water (7 litres)
•    800 grams of white table sugar

1 X SafCider AB-1 

Fermentation Notes:
OG 1.04

Pitched yeast at 22 degrees.
Brewed for 5 days at 20 degrees.
SG was 1.03 after 5 days.
Raised to 24 degrees on the 5th day.
SG was 1.02 after 7 days.
Raised temp to 25.5 on the 7th day.
SG was 1.002 on the 9th day.
FG 1.002
ABV 5%

Secondary Fermentation Used
2 teaspoons of white sugar in 1.25 litre PET bottles - Resulted in extremely good carbonation. Poor to nil head retention 😪

Unfortunately, it was not well received, it was lacking in ginger flavour and extremely dry. I still have a couple of bottles "maturing", so I'll see what old man time has done to those this summer (if its anything like he's done to me, it's bound to be a catastrophe 😆 ).

I quite like the idea of adding some steeped crystal malt, that would definitely help with producing and retaining a good head on the dispensed sustenance 😉. I also think if I had used at least twice as much fresh ginger (minced) instead of the 25g of powdered ginger in with the extract from the GB plant, I would have been much closer to the outcome I was hoping for.

Thanks for sharing your recipe cobber, it has spurred me on to try again I reckon.😋

Cheers, ta some home made bitey, sparklin' fizzy goodness eh 🍺 🍺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Triple B Brewing Hey mate, at $50 plus dollars a kilo for ginger these days id be reluctant to brew a GB from scratch, for me its easier & cheaper to trick the kit out.

I just wonder if your recipe might benefit by adding 500g - 1kg of dme + crystal & an ale yeast of your choice, certainly your spice blend has inspired me to try adding more from the spice rack next visit. 

Cheers mate.

• Like 2

In this cold weather I tend to be on The Dark Side. AG Stout, 13 days in the bottle. As Sydney is cold and my garage never gets over 16 degrees I turned off my fridge, put the heat belt and all the bottles inside and set the inkbird to 18.8 degrees. Had to have a tasting today. It’s not bad at all. Does it taste similar to Sheaf Stout? No idea, but it is a nice drop. Fullbodied with nice chocolate aroma and a nice roasty bitterness. From my memory the Sheaf had a bit more of liquorice flavour. Let’s see in a few more weeks 

IMG_1540.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz II
  • Like 8

Aukus red Ale: 🇦🇺 🇬🇧 🇺🇸

Beating the commys one schooner at a time!

We take radio active roasted barley & crystal grain & combine with Virginia class US05 yeast & British astute class East Kent Goldings & combined with Aussie Bootmaker pale ale know how to produce a stealthy ale, at a cost that won't bankrupt a nation.

Aukus Ale, Here's a toast to your favourite girl!!

20240803_173712.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

In this cold weather I tend to be on The Dark Side. AG Stout, 13 days in the bottle. As Sydney is cold and my garage never gets over 16 degrees I turned off my fridge, put the heat belt and all the bottles inside and set the inkbird to 18.8 degrees. Had to have a tasting today. It’s not bad at all. Does it taste similar to Sheaf Stout? No idea, but it is a nice drop. Fullbodied with nice chocolate aroma and a nice roasty bitterness. From my memory the Sheaf had a bit more of liquorice flavour. Let’s see in a few more weeks 

IMG_1540.jpeg

Looks lovely  mate, well done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Draught is tasting pretty good

Looks very pub like - nice one

4 hours ago, Pezzza said:

The AG Ale

There is something i LOVE about a nice hazy orange all grain beer, it's such a nice look.

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

AG Stout

Stunning, I love the coffee head on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1