Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 5:52 PM, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

Even after a most delicious can of Paulaner Hefeweizen this one is definitely not a step down. Sorry, but it was too nice to take a picture earlier. My Ag Stella Artois clone is really up there. I will do it again, next time with Saaz. This one had three types of HallertauIMG_1370.jpeg.3aa229c2bba94d68c1f5455f596e8736.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

Do you no chill? Looks a really nice beer

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Do you no chill? Looks a really nice beer

You are right, I don't cold crush. Maybe one day I will try it. Some brews turn out very clear, especially k&k's. This one (AG) is a bit hazy, but I don't mind at all. It is very nice now, three month in the bottle. Even with only one packet of 34/70.Maybe next time I'll use two as recommended.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

You are right, I don't cold crush. Maybe one day I will try it. Some brews turn out very clear, especially k&k's. This one (AG) is a bit hazy, but I don't mind at all. It is very nice now, three month in the bottle. Even with only one packet of 34/70.Maybe next time I'll use two as recommended.

If you CC and then lager it for the right amount of time, it'll be crystal clear. It just takes its time. They say if you chill instead of cube, beer gets even clearer. I am not saying this is wrong but I'm not convinced either. I have been no-chilling for over a year and a half now and can't really see a detrimental effect on the beer. Yes, some just don't want to clear up completely and leave a hint of haze but I have seen this when chilling too. 

I no-chill but CC and when needed lager. It takes time but it's worth it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

I don't bother myself, but I hardly ever make any Lagers, I find 14 days in the fermenter pays off & it does help with clarity.

As I said before many times, I am not fussed with clear beer, but it does look impressive. I have never noticed any difference in the taste cold crashing either.

With k & k beers it's hardly necessary IMO as if you mix everything thoroughly & let it ferment for 14 days, it always seems to clear up anyway.

• Like 5

Rum Barrel Aged Porter. It has a very dark red colour, is malty with chocolate and rum flavours. Hints of oak and coffee with a slight roastiness. There is a hint of oak but not as much as I wanted. Quite tasty. It’s a nice beer for the season. Shame I had to keg it. 

IMG_0306.thumb.jpeg.a2ebb5f7b5e0c4358b2451f9a7469b3d.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Rum Barrel Aged Porter. It has a very dark red colour, is malty with chocolate and rum flavours. Hints of oak and coffee with a slight roastiness. There is a hint of oak but not as much as I wanted. Quite tasty. It’s a nice beer for the season. Shame I had to keg it. 

IMG_0306.thumb.jpeg.a2ebb5f7b5e0c4358b2451f9a7469b3d.jpeg

It looks and sounds so good. AG? Bottled my West Indies Porter yesterday, so the wait is on

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 6:22 PM, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

Even after a most delicious can of Paulaner Hefeweizen this one is definitely not a step down. Sorry, but it was too nice to take a picture earlier. My Ag Stella Artois clone is really up there. I will do it again, next time with Saaz. This one had three types of HallertauIMG_1370.jpeg.3aa229c2bba94d68c1f5455f596e8736.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

Of all the recipes I could have chosen I went for this one, as my mate Flavio absolutely loves Stella Artois. Firstly I gave him some imported Stella which he really enjoyed, then I gave him a six pack of mine in original bottles and he gave me the biggest compliment: “Best Stella I ever had!”

• Like 5

Between watching Eurocopa and Copa America and boiling my AG Stout, apparently inspired by the unfortunately retired Sheaf Stout I had a sneaky one year old Tsars Tar. More plummy than coffee/ chocolaty but still very enjoyable. With 8.9% maybe a bit strong for a lunchtime refreshment, but it might explain the lack of quality in the photo.

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

A Munich Dunkel. Malty with a slight roasty undertone, yet light and easy to drink. 

IMG_0308.thumb.jpeg.98c16c579ea4a92d5680b2e97fb3fae9.jpeg

Brewed yourself? What's the recipe details, they're my favourite style, and I've just put down the Black Bear Schwarzbier as an attempt at a dark lager...

• Like 1

On the left is my latest Coopers Pale Ale with 500g LDM and a 55g mix of Galaxy, Centennial and Pride of Ringwood hops added. On the right is my first brew of a Coopers Amber Ale with 1.25g of LDM.

The Pale Ale is yummy; the Amber Ale has a toffee flavour which I don't really like. 

I included the second photo to show a better head on the Amber Ale - look at the colour!

20240706_163859[1].jpg

20240706_171941[1].jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

On the left is my latest Coopers Pale Ale with 500g LDM and a 55g mix of Galaxy, Centennial and Pride of Ringwood hops added. On the right is my first brew of a Coopers Amber Ale with 1.25g of LDM.

The Pale Ale is yummy; the Amber Ale has a toffee flavour which I don't really like. 

I included the second photo to show a better head on the Amber Ale - look at the colour!

20240706_163859[1].jpg

20240706_171941[1].jpg

That's great Jenny, you certainly have nailed it these days, that Pale looks great, clear, good head, well done.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Aussiekraut interested in that also please. What malt gave you the darkness. Small amout of chocolate malt or more of a less dark malt?

I just done some research did you use the old school decotian mashing? forgive spelling if wrong.

No, I didn't go for the decoction mash. That is a bit of a pain to do. I did a stepped mash though like I do for my Munich Hell as well. I mash for 30 minutes at 60C and another 30 minutes at 70C.

Grain bill is quite big. Based on a 26l batch, I used 3kg Munich, 1.5kg Pilsner, 500g Munich II, 250g Carafa II, 250g CaraPils, 100g CaraHell and 100g of CaraMunich II. The Carafa II is what gives it the dark colour. It is dehusked, so it avoids roasted bitterness while still adding the roasting aroma. The other specialty grains are just to add maltiness, foam stability, sweetness, body and colour. Hops I used are 40g Hallertau MF (60 minute) and 20g Tettnang (10 minute) for a total IBU of 22. I used M76 Bavarian Lager yeast for this one but Dubbya or Nova will work well too. 

I'll have to do a double batch of this one in the not-too-distant future as I really like it. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Tilpants said:

Brewed yourself? What's the recipe details, they're my favourite style, and I've just put down the Black Bear Schwarzbier as an attempt at a dark lager...

Yes brewed myself. It is an all-grain brew using Munich, Munich II, Pilsner, CaraMunich II, CaraPils, CaraHell and Carafa II malts, Hallertau MF and Tettnang hops and M76 yeast. 

If you require a k&b recipe, I can't help you much. I'd say a Munich Lager kit as a base, then dark DME, and steep some of the specialty grains I used, boil it for 15 minutes and add some Hallertau MF whilst boiling. That should get you into the vicinity of where you want to be. You may have to tweak here and there to get the best result.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

Between watching Eurocopa and Copa America and boiling my AG Stout, apparently inspired by the unfortunately retired Sheaf Stout I had a sneaky one year old Tsars Tar. More plummy than coffee/ chocolaty but still very enjoyable. With 8.9% maybe a bit strong for a lunchtime refreshment, but it might explain the lack of quality in the photo.

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

I made that one once. Quite a hefty beer 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1