Coopers Community

Mill Master

therealthing691

On 12/9/2023 at 3:44 PM, therealthing691 said:

IMG_20231209_145025.jpg

That crush looks too course to me.  However, I use a mill with knurled rollers not fluted rollers.  My mill is set pretty close to 1mm, maybe a little wider.  It seems to work for me and my system.

Occasionally I get grains that look whole.  However, when I check, I can break the husk and the grain inside with my fingernail.  Hence, the mill has done its job.  If you cannot break the husk and grain with your fingernail, I suggest it is still intact and you will get very little out of it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/10/2023 at 10:17 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

That crush looks too course to me.  However, I use a mill with knurled rollers not fluted rollers.  My mill is set pretty close to 1mm, maybe a little wider.  It seems to work for me and my system.

Occasionally I get grains that look whole.  However, when I check, I can break the husk and the grain inside with my fingernail.  Hence, the mill has done its job.  If you cannot break the husk and grain with your fingernail, I suggest it is still intact and you will get very little out of it.  

It looks a little coarse but it depends a lot on the system you're milling for I suppose. What worked perfectly fine for me using the Guten is shockingly bad for the BrewZilla. First brew I had to deal with clogged top and bottom plates, to the point where the recirc liquor was building up on top because it couldn't run through the plate. So I milled extra large for the last batch and efficiency suffered big time, as some grains weren't crushed properly. Next brew I go a little finer until I have it set correctly again. 

• Like 3

Yep always do Nuthin worse than a stuck mash or Sprage..,..  If my grain is a little coarse will adjust for the next one just didn't won't it too fine for this ... I tried the finger nail test  with any thing that looked untouched and it does fall apart.... So hopefully all good  cheers and thanks Shamus  also AK

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 9:16 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Rice hulls will be your friend.  I managed to get 20kg of the stuff a little while ago from somebody who got it from a rice farm in NSW.  I chuck handfuls into any brew with wheat, oats, rye, etc.

Rice hulls are the GOAT. I brew wheat beers with a lot of wheat, and my recirc and sparges are good. I mix them in dry with the wheat before I mash in.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, stquinto said:

I grind mine a bit finer, and I brew with a GF40. The Malt Miller is an awesome piece of kit, notwithstanding the postage costs to Europe. I’ve worked out it’s less than a minute per kilo

IMG_9929.jpeg

Thats a fine crush.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Rice hulls are the GOAT. I brew wheat beers with a lot of wheat, and my recirc and sparges are good. I mix them in dry with the wheat before I mash in.

That's a good idea.  

I usually sprinkle 1 big handful of rice hulls over the surface of the mash water then add 3 scoops of crushed grain (my scoop holds about 300g).  Then I stir that in and repeat until all the grain is added.  I mix all my grains together and mill them in one lot.  What are your thoughts on milling the wheat separately?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's a good idea.  

I usually sprinkle 1 big handful of rice hulls over the surface of the mash water then add 3 scoops of crushed grain (my scoop holds about 300g).  Then I stir that in and repeat until all the grain is added.  I mix all my grains together and mill them in one lot.  What are your thoughts on milling the wheat separately?

Same here Shamus I always have a handful in the mash.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's a good idea.  

Definitely mill wheat separately as its usually smaller than barley. I close up my mill first, mill wheat, then open up for the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

Well first brew with the  mill a oatcream IPA  nectaron galaxy and Amarillo DDH haven't used verdant for a while down to FG in 72 hrs from pitching cheers and merry Christmas to all enjoy

IMG_20231220_122001.jpg

Yep that verdant is a muncher same here 72 hours and it was finished and a merry Christmas to you also

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, therealthing691 said:

Not half bad 

IMG_20231224_123354.jpg

Looks good but a Clausthaler glass? 

For those who don't know, Clausthaler is a pioneer in alcohol-free beers in Germany. It never had a great reputation, mainly because it had no alcohol and in the 80s, this type of beer was the butt of many jokes. 

Their slogan used to be "Immer? Nicht immer, aber immer öfter", meaning "Always? Not always but more and more often". They used to have this cool ad though. A guy stands at the bar and an interviewer asks him about alcohol-free beer and the fella says yep, I like it but only Clausthaler. When asked why, he says well, it works. The dog listens better than before. He tells the dog to sit and it doesn't, so the interviewer says "Always?" and the guy replies "Not always" and when the dog sits down, "but more and more often".

• Like 1