Coopers Community

Mill Master

therealthing691

Just now, Tricky Micky said:

Hey @Aussiekraut, AK, how's your GF electric mill going? You got it sorted? What's your opinion of it?

It's great. It Mills nicely and it's easy to change the size of the crush. It's also fairly quick. The only issue I have is the ridiculously small hopper. But I just keep scooping grain in and it works ok that way.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It's great. It Mills nicely and it's easy to change the size of the crush. It's also fairly quick. The only issue I have is the ridiculously small hopper. But I just keep scooping grain in and it works ok that way.

Are you able to fashion a hopper attachment to increase it's capacity? I think it was the guru @Shamus O'Sean had made one for his mill. He might be able to guide you on how to do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Are you able to fashion a hopper attachment to increase it's capacity? I think it was the guru @Shamus O'Sean had made one for his mill. He might be able to guide you on how to do it.

Unfortunatley mine is a, I guess you could call it, trapezoidal hopper.  So it will probably not help @Aussiekraut.  The GrainFather one is circular, like an upturned half a 2 litre PET soft drink bottle.  It is probably harder to fashion something for that shape.

My cardboard grain mill hopper extender.  Made from half a kegerator box.  I was surprised how much cardboard "real estate" was needed for the whole contraption.  However, it will hold 8kg of grain.

IMG_2916.JPG.42078953cafe1fb4b7a7cf27f0521a80.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Yeah, I have Shamus' work and thought it was a great idea. The problem with the GF mill is that it is a round hopper, which makes it hard to extend. It is possible but I don't know how sable it would be. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I have Shamus' work and thought it was a great idea. The problem with the GF mill is that it is a round hopper, which makes it hard to extend. It is possible but I don't know how sable it would be. 

I don't think it matters what colour it is, as long as it is stable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:19 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Looks good but a Clausthaler glass? 

For those who don't know, Clausthaler is a pioneer in alcohol-free beers in Germany. It never had a great reputation, mainly because it had no alcohol and in the 80s, this type of beer was the butt of many jokes. 

Their slogan used to be "Immer? Nicht immer, aber immer öfter", meaning "Always? Not always but more and more often". They used to have this cool ad though. A guy stands at the bar and an interviewer asks him about alcohol-free beer and the fella says yep, I like it but only Clausthaler. When asked why, he says well, it works. The dog listens better than before. He tells the dog to sit and it doesn't, so the interviewer says "Always?" and the guy replies "Not always" and when the dog sits down, "but more and more often".

i have heaps of german glasses and La tappe from holland  as the Missus is Dutch and do trips there to see her daughter's  love europe Austria would be my favourite place

• Like 2

69% BHE which is not bad what are others getting that mill there own grain. I had the but recirculation in mashing  ever in this brew . Might  try .5mm tighter or just leave as 69% is fine by me cheers enjoy the weekend

Edited by therealthing691
typo grammar

1 hour ago, therealthing691 said:

69% BHE which is not bad what are others getting that mill there own grain. I had the but recirculation in mashing  ever in this brew . Might  try .5mm tighter or just leave as 69% is fine by me cheers enjoy the weekend

Just today I got mash E = 91.47 % and BHE = 86.7 %.   Previous brew day was for a 44 L COPA and I got mash E = 85.0 % and BHE = 81.3 %.  I use a three roller Kegland mill that is set halfway between the 0.063 ad 0.032 marks on this pic.  Note red mark was put there for reference and was its factory setting not what I actually use.

Grain mill setting resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Just today I got mash E = 91.47 % and BHE = 86.7 %.   Previous brew day was for a 44 L COPA and I got mash E = 85.0 % and BHE = 81.3 %.  I use a three roller Kegland mill that is set halfway between the 0.063 ad 0.032 marks on this pic.  Note red mark was put there for reference and was its factory setting not what I actually use.

Grain mill setting resized.jpg

Quite amazing efficiency figures that you are achieving @iBooz2. I need to lift my game.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

I get around 75% in my Grainfather G30.  I mill at 0.045 inches.  This works for regular grain and wheat, which is slightly smaller.  The G30 system includes sparging, which helps with efficiency.

You need to be careful with the potential of your grain.  It can over-inflate your BHE.  The default for Coopers Pale Malt in Brewfather is 1.035.  However, I think it is much better.  Probably 1.038.  If you leave it at 1.035, it can make your actual BHE seem much better.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I get around 75% in my Grainfather G30.  I mill at 0.045 inches.  This works for regular grain and wheat, which is slightly smaller.  The G30 system includes sparging, which helps with efficiency.

You need to be careful with the potential of your grain.  It can over-inflate your BHE.  The default for Coopers Pale Malt in Brewfather is 1.035.  However, I think it is much better.  Probably 1.038.  If you leave it at 1.035, it can make your actual BHE seem much better.

I mill my wheat first then tip it on top of the rest of the grain bill then mill the lot again.  Effectively mills the wheat twice.

Re the potential of the CPPM.  Yes, I pointed this out to the forum back in winter - spring 2022 🤔

When I went on the Coopers Spec sheet for this malt it said 80 - 83 % which to my mind equates to a potential of 1.037 - 1.038 but when I used 1.037 I was always off with my points both pre-boil and post-boil so my ABV was out even though volumes all good. 

I use 1.036 for my CPPM, CPAM and also for MO in Brewfather and my points as near as Damnit every time.

The high mash efficiencies for my Aussie lagers are probably because Brewfather does not handle the addition of sugars late in the boil properly IMO.  I have also found another Brewfather bug which I will bring to your attention in another post.  I don't add sugars to my ale recipes so I will go back through those to see if I can see a pattern and get my averages over several ale batches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

The high mash efficiencies for my Aussie lagers are probably because Brewfather does not handle the addition of sugars late in the boil properly IMO.

What sugars are you adding late in the boil?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

What sugars are you adding late in the boil?

In my Brewfather recipes it may have 300 - 500 g of cane sugar or dextrose to be added at 10 mins.  For a typical Aussie Lager Beer.

It calculates all the gravities and ABV correctly, but I think it's a bit off with calculating the mash E.  Thinks my mashing is way more efficient than it really is on those batches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

In my Brewfather recipes it may have 300 - 500 g of cane sugar or dextrose to be added at 10 mins.  For a typical Aussie Lager Beer.

It calculates all the gravities and ABV correctly, but I think it's a bit off with calculating the mash E.  Thinks my mashing is way more efficient than it really is on those batches.

I haven't looked into it closely, but BF should be calculating mash efficiency using the pre-boil figures and if it is it will not affect your mash efficiency adding sugars to the boil.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My efficiency is calculated off brewers friend recipe builder.. Don't know if that makes any difference.  I am doing a brew now set at 1.2mm on mill master and all looks good getting great recirculation better in I ever have . Will post the numbers tomorrow .70 or 80bhe is not much more or less grain on a 26L batch so all good .. Will be interesting to see  ..As I have only just started milling my own I want to find a sweet spot on the mill cheers 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

My efficiency is calculated off brewers friend recipe builder.. Don't know if that makes any difference.  I am doing a brew now set at 1.2mm on mill master and all looks good getting great recirculation better in I ever have . Will post the numbers tomorrow .70 or 80bhe is not much more or less grain on a 26L batch so all good .. Will be interesting to see  ..As I have only just started milling my own I want to find a sweet spot on the mill cheers 

Same around 70 so will close the gap as I got damn good recirculation on the mash and a great Sprage on the robobrew  but will push it till it becomes worse for sparging and mash recirculation until the next brew cheers 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

Same around 70 so will close the gap as I got damn good recirculation on the mash and a great Sprage on the robobrew  but will push it till it becomes worse for sparging and mash recirculation until the next brew cheers 

Yes, @therealthing691 close the gap.  BTW, how are you measuring the gap in your Millmaster?  With mine, being a 3-roller job, you just about have to pull it all apart to get a set of feeler gauges into and between the crushing rollers just to take the measurement.

FYI  - last brew day I did was a USPA for 44 L and achieved a BHE = 81.2 % and ME = 85.0 %

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, therealthing691 said:

On 2/2/2024 at 11:01 PM, therealthing691 said:

feeler gauges  as is geared 2 roller  aussie made easier to set then a Tri roller setup  i am not try to get the best bhe just trying to see what is achievable

Yer the mill master closed it more to about 1.1mm/ 44 thou . Still got good recirculation  and Sprage  and that was with 5kg pale 1kg wheat and 1.5 rolled oats. Got just over 70%bhe ... Might try it just a little tighter but all good . I don't care about a few hundred grams of grain more or less . I am looking for easy flow as all my brews have wheat and most oats as well ... Used about 170grams of rice hulls as well

IMG_20240316_132238.jpg

IMG_20240316_132229.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...