Coopers Community

Optus Outage

Classic Brewing Co

1 hour ago, do not consume said:

What's an Optus?

remember back in the 90s when we only had telecom (who later became telstra) de-regulation and the concept of competition was massive, so we got a second telco (Optus). later on there was three (now vodaphone) and there's probably another i'm forgetting but..

yesterday's internet outage would have been highly annoying if it had happened the day before when i was home all day and pretty much everything i did was internet connected to some degree, from gamepass on the xbox to my radio and even tv for the cricket, and the voice activated light in my beer cave. thankfully it was resolved before i got home. work wasn't impacted but if we were on Optus it would have knocked out both internet and phones because we foolishly have one provider handling both. Also the EFTPOS handset stayed up - phew.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

"Opt Us".. sounds like a scam to me 😂

It's a mythical creature to some people on this island.

A million miles in front of Telstra, faster internet, better plans & cheaper.

I have been with them for years & you actually can talk to someone in Australia, my case Adelaide if you need to. 

I had a disastrous experience with Telstra years ago.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

5 hours ago, do not consume said:

What's an Optus?

It's a second rate company with first rate advertising.

It's the company who secured all the broadcasting rights to the World Cup without the capacity to deliver the content to the customers.

It's the company who couldn't protect the data of millions of customers and former customers from hackers.

It's the company who built such a poorly designed cable network that the NBN preferred to buy and rebuild the Foxtel cable network instead.

It's the telocommunciations company most likely to deliver an outage of the scale that occurred this week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I use Leaptel for internet and Boost for mobile. Boost uses the telstra mobile network at a fraction of the cost. Much better coverage in small areas like where I am.

Checking now

$85 per month for mid tier NBN

$64.95 same plan at Leaptel

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have been with them for years & you actually can talk to someone in Australia, my case Adelaide if you need to. 

I had a disastrous experience with Telstra years ago.

The only thing that speaks for Telstra is the network coverage. Their pricing is ridiculous and their service is non-existent. 

But Optus is a no-go for me after they sold me a service they knew they couldn't provide. I purchased a speed upgrade for their cable network (that was just around the time of the NBN switchover) and they were happy to take my money but when I didn't get the faster speeds, I was told it wasn't available where I lived. When I told them that this amounts to fraud, they told me a story of the horse and blabla but never admitted any wrongdoing. So I moved all my comms from Optus. I ditched the landline, moved mobile to Vodafail and NBN comes via TPG, although I am thinking about moving the latter to Aussie Broadband. Mainly because I don't like having all services with one provider in case of an outage.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, do not consume said:

I use Leaptel for internet and Boost for mobile. Boost uses the telstra mobile network at a fraction of the cost. Much better coverage in small areas like where I am.

Checking now

I pay $70 per month for unlimited NBN with 100Mbps which is as fast as I need, but there are plans for 240Mbps & 600 Mbps for a little extra.

Mobile costs $49 per month for unlimited data & re-payment of phone $54.12 - Total $191.35 which also includes a 4K Netflix subscription.

That gives me the top of the range Samsung S23 Ultra.

The outage was very bad & a disaster for those trying to run a business with eftpos etc there is talk of compensation & I have just been given 200gb of free data, but I am on unlimited anyway.

Telstra has had more outages than any other network.

22 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The only thing that speaks for Telstra is the network coverage. Their pricing is ridiculous and their service is non-existent. 

But Optus is a no-go for me after they sold me a service they knew they couldn't provide. I purchased a speed upgrade for their cable network (that was just around the time of the NBN switchover) and they were happy to take my money but when I didn't get the faster speeds, I was told it wasn't available where I lived. When I told them that this amounts to fraud, they told me a story of the horse and blabla but never admitted any wrongdoing. So I moved all my comms from Optus. I ditched the landline, moved mobile to Vodafail and NBN comes via TPG, although I am thinking about moving the latter to Aussie Broadband. Mainly because I don't like having all services with one provider in case of an outage.

When I was travelling in the Outback in places like Tibooburra, Bourke, Cobar & others the Optus service was pretty good with a few dropouts in some remote/hilly areas, but the Telstra pre-paid phone service I carried for backup was totally useless, Optus coverage was far better, although I am aware not so in some areas but generally, their coverage is better than any others.

When I left Broken Hill once I was using the Telstra phone 20kms out of town & it dropped out, the Optus phone held on for 100kms or so & I was able to rely on it more than Telstra.

39 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It is wise to spread your risk.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I pay $70 per month for unlimited NBN with 100Mbps which is as fast as I need, but there are plans for 240Mbps & 600 Mbps for a little extra.

well, the prices are no where near that for me when I check optus.

All good though.

I had an optus re seller as my mobile whn I moved here and pretty much no coverage here so I guess we all just do what works.

ANyway, I am glad it is back up @Classic Brewing Co as it is surprising how much we rely on all this

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, do not consume said:

well, the prices are no where near that for me when I check optus.

All good though.

I had an optus re seller as my mobile whn I moved here and pretty much no coverage here so I guess we all just do what works.

ANyway, I am glad it is back up @Classic Brewing Co as it is surprising how much we rely on all this

Yeah, Australia is a big place with vast differences in terrain & locations will always vary so we all do what works for us best.

BTW, I sold the Telstra pre-paid phone for what I paid for it years ago.

2 hours ago, do not consume said:

Checking now

DNC, which Network does Leaptel use? Very interested in them after looking at what you're forking out.

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The outage was very bad & a disaster for those trying to run a business with eftpos etc there is talk of compensation & I have just been given 200gb of free data, but I am on unlimited anyway.

As a loyal Optus customer they have really rewarded you (not) for the network outage. Foreign owned Singtel (Optus) have had a very bad year with the data breach 12 months ago that leaked all their customers private ID details to hackers, and now a nationwide network failure. Very poor service I feel, not that Telstra is any better.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

As a loyal Optus customer they have really rewarded you (not) for the network outage. Foreign owned Singtel (Optus) have had a very bad year with the data breach 12 months ago that leaked all their customers private ID details to hackers, and now a nationwide network failure. Very poor service I feel, not that Telstra is any better.

Yeah well it happens but we need to take steps to have a backup plan if possible,  there are e-sims available otherwise we just have to deal with it. 

Even when the power goes off you are not likely to go out & buy a generator. 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:29 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Mainly because I don't like having all services with one provider in case of an outage.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:10 AM, Kegory said:

It is wise to spread your risk.

A wise strategy. A number of years ago before NBN and ADSL wasn't available in my "remote" suburb 10km from Adelaide's GPO, I used Virgin wireless broadband. My account was post paid monthly by direct debit from my credit card. I also had a PREPAID Virgin mobile phone.
One particular month they emailed me to say I owed them money. I just ignored it because I thought, "You d1ckheads! You direct debit my card. Don't come asking me for money."
Turns out my credit card date had expired and they could no longer debit my account. Direct debit via credit card was all new to me then and was unaware I needed to update these details.
So, within their rights, they shut off my post paid internet. Naturally I was annoyed and tried calling them to sort sh1t out but they'd also cut off my PREPAID mobile phone service. So even if I wanted to pay them I fkn couldn't because they'd cut off all means of me contacting and/or paying them. I had to find a pay phone box on my work travels to get things sorted.
I changed providers for both soon after with 2 different telcos to avoid it happening again.
FYI - I've been with Aldimobile for quite some time now for my phone. I think it's on Telstra's 4G network but with Aldi pricing. It's prepaid but they have auto recharging and data rolls over. I have about 800GB saved over. I don't have the need for the fastest and best so it's bloody good value to me.

Screenshot_2023-11-12-07-18-12-99.jpg

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 4