Coopers Community

Recommendations of what to clean the FV etc with.

Froghunter

This has been done to death..

If you want to use that stuff good luck to you.

BUT, unsanatised bleach works perfectly.

Ive explained what i do, and its a perfect system, and recomended by coopers. Who apparently know SFA, and you know better.  I cant help it if you wont listen or learn. 

And thats a fact.  😃

Edited by Oldbloke

I wouldn't let bleach anywhere near my brewing stuff. I'm not saying it doesn't kill bugs but plastic fermenters are actually porous and keep flavours within the plastic. You just have to smell your cleaned fermenter and it smells of beer flavours.

Bleach has a very strong smell and particular taste. Yeah keep that stuff for hospitals and what not unless you like the taste.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I wouldn't let bleach anywhere near my brewing stuff. I'm not saying it doesn't kill bugs but plastic fermenters are actually porous and keep flavours within the plastic. You just have to smell your cleaned fermenter and it smells of beer flavours.

Bleach has a very strong smell and particular taste. Yeah keep that stuff for hospitals and what not unless you like the taste.

It's good for cleaning the bird bath.🐥

• Haha 1

Coopers,  perhaps the biggest company on the planet (certainly is in AU) making home brew kits recommends the use of unscented chlorine based bleaches for sanitising and you two clowns say its no good.

You think you know better. Mmmm? 

I wonder who im going to listen to? Mmmm.

I've just come in to use the urinal and I've stumbled into the middle of a weeing competition 

If you want to use bleach use it if you want to use sodium percarbonate use it who cares what you use as long as it gets everything sanitised 

Anyway mine went all the way up the wall and hit the ceiling I'll leave you with it

Edited by Back Brewing

27 minutes ago, Stickers said:

my reading of this is use generic napisan (sodium percarbonate) if you've got it or unscented bleach.

Yep, them or a fair few other ways. But dont say unscented bleach doesnt work, or will ruin the beer, or perhaps taint the FV.  Because that is utter BS. Infact its disinformation, or in indication of having very little knowledge of the subject matter. Not sure which.

18 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Coopers,  perhaps the biggest company on the planet (certainly is in AU) making home brew kits recommends the use of unscented chlorine based bleaches for sanitising and you two clowns say its no good.

You think you know better. Mmmm? 

I wonder who im going to listen to? Mmmm.

Answer me one question: Does Coopers use unscented bleach to clean their brewing equipment? Not occasionally but each and every time.

If using bleach works for you, then that is fantastic. Be happy and enjoy. But don't stamp all of us who do not use it as imbeciles, because we do not listen to advice that is given for convenience. Coopers also recommends fermenting at temps up to 27 or 28C. Do you take that as the law as well and only ever brew that high? 

Do what works for you and leave it for Pete's sake. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Answer me one question: Does Coopers use unscented bleach to clean their brewing equipment? Not occasionally but each and every time.

If using bleach works for you, then that is fantastic. Be happy and enjoy. But don't stamp all of us who do not use it as imbeciles, because we do not listen to advice that is given for convenience. Coopers also recommends fermenting at temps up to 27 or 28C. Do you take that as the law as well and only ever brew that high? 

Do what works for you and leave it for Pete's sake. 

Well said AK, I totally concur.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Some clowns here need some education.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_1_11

Resized_Screenshot_20231019-210426_Samsung_Internet.jpeg

Coopers might want to change the bleach bit about that statement. Its old hat and not relevant these days. Just like they used to say use a kilo of white sugar with your brews. Not relevant.

Maybe the bleach has burnt your taste buds off.

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Coopers might want to change the bleach bit about that statement. Its old hat and not relevant these days. Just like they used to say use a kilo of white sugar with your brews. Not relevant.

Maybe the bleach has burnt your taste buds off.

I am with you @Pale Man this has been allowed to escalate into a ridiculous comment & as you can see Frank has asked us/me not to post our comments on this anymore which I totally respect.

Roger & out.

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am with you @Pale Man this has been allowed to escalate into a ridiculous comment & as you can see Frank has asked us/me not to post our comments on this anymore which I totally respect.

Roger & out.

I can't see anywhere Frank said that in this thread

As I said before use what you want it's no one else's business as long as it is sanitized what irks people is trying to shove down people's throats their way is the best way 

Have a look at the comments there are people on both sides throwing their chest out saying they are right and their way is the best way not only Old Bloke

Let's all have a home brew and move on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I can't see anywhere Frank said that in this thread

As I said before use what you want it's no one else's business as long as it is sanitized what irks people is trying to shove down people's throats their way is the best way 

Have a look at the comments there are people on both sides throwing their chest out saying they are right and their way is the best way not only Old Bloke

Let's all have a home brew and move on

Yeah agree with that it's getting beyond a joke. So different things work for different people, all of a sudden need to be comparing it to commercial use or an old coopers fact sheet to justify an opinion. 

Wouldn't be so bad if had not already been touched on a hundred times by the same individuals.  

Also about time coopers workers monitored the forum a bit more and showed some interest In it.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

This forum has become a place of people with no knowledge that just love to argue and dont listen.

I'm 54 years old. Brewed since I was illegal to drink. So thats 36 years of brewing. 

You can only give so much advice and getting it thrown in your face. Then give in and leave it up to you. I'm close to quitting this forum.

I don't think it's that bad PM just a clash of ego's is all it is will all blow over and we will all be back on track brewing beers

From my point of view it isnt a pissing contest. But im sure it is for a few.  For me its about providing good info on the forum when someone asks.

And i dont like it when some knowall bags what i suggest saying it isnt appropriste when ALL THE EVIDENCE says it is appropiate.

I am yet to suggest that stellasan is no good or in any way suggest it should not be used.

But, about chlorine bleach some have said things such as:

Its smelly, yes true. But a rinse remedies that.

Will be obsorbed by the fv plastic. Nonsensical.

Only good for bird baths and urinals. Not relevent.

Coopers dont use it in their brewery so i wont use it for HB. Well HB isnt a large brewery,  although some may somehow think thats what they are doing. Lol It is however used in the food industry lots.

Some people here have blinkers on, only stellsan, or whatever is suitable.  Well, thats nonsense,  there are other options, but they refuse to acknowledge that.

Ever thought you could use alcohol  or just lots of boiling water? Hydrogen peroxide perhaps but the plastic might not like that?

https://www.healthline.com/health/hydrogen-peroxide-uses#garden

Finally:

1. Frank never mentioned this in his comments, it was about bagging their kits.

2. Been brewing a long time someone said.

Well, my first was bottled 20th of May 1988 So, been doing it for a while. Yes, i keep good records.

3. Dont bag something that obviously works. You just look silly or narrow minded. If someone askes here what to use, sure recomend what u like.  But i have that right to without people bagging it without GOOD reason. 

4. And in case i havnt mentioned it, chlorine is used in the food industry,  brewing industry, i dont know. 

5. And your drinking it daily. Infact if coopers dont remove it at the brewery  its also in their beer in small amounts.

6.  Chlorine is recommended to sterilise babies bottles.

10 hours ago, Pale Man said:

This forum has become a place of people with no knowledge that just love to argue and dont listen.

I'm 54 years old. Brewed since I was illegal to drink. So thats 36 years of brewing. 

You can only give so much advice and getting it thrown in your face. Then give in and leave it up to you.

I'm close to quitting this forum.

Nah, don't do that mate, your experience & knowledge speaks for itself!

Us oldies ain't going to change anything with our methods, simply because they work.

Besides you are much needed on here as some of the others who have been around for a few years.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

My first journey into brewing was I used bleach but it had to have a good percentage of sodium percarbonate to do the job I continued to use it until 100% sodium percarbonate was available. It is the sodium percarbonate that does the job they use it in sewerage treatment plants.

If I couldn't get 100% sodium percarbonate I would use unscented bleach because it works and is proven. I only ever had one bad batch with bleach and when I worked it back I remembered I didn't run the solution through the tap.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, Popo the Degenerate said:

I have written to them to find out. I'll post here when I hear back

Just to update:

I received a short reply from Five Star Chemicals stating that it is indeed only good for one hour.

I asked for some further information, given the usual advice is it's good for quite a while longer, and they said that it was registered by the EPA and when it came to testing, it lost its effectiveness after an hour.

It seems to contradict a lot of anecdotal experience and advice. I have used/stored it for much longer than that without and (known) adverse effects. 

16 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Just to update:

I received a short reply from Five Star Chemicals stating that it is indeed only good for one hour.

I asked for some further information, given the usual advice is it's good for quite a while longer, and they said that it was registered by the EPA and when it came to testing, it lost its effectiveness after an hour.

It seems to contradict a lot of anecdotal experience and advice. I have used/stored it for much longer than that without and (known) adverse effects. 

Same here, I have been chucking mine when it looks cloudy, there is also a nasty smell if you leave it too long or haven't used it for a while.