Coopers Community

Softdrink

Zubakov

I've seen other posts on here from time to time where in the discussion of pepsi / other soft drink verities being kegged.

Following on with one of the posts I have seen, I dumped 2 x 9L sodastream pepsi max concentrates into 18L of water, chilled it down in the keg and applied about 300KPA over a few days. Normally, with beer this method takes 3 days + some rest time and when I tap the keg it is carbed (all be the first few schooners a bit frothy).

This time, however, when dispensing the 'pepsi' it is flat and has alot of head. Have had this before, but usually subsides after the first few schooners pulled. When the froth does subside, the pepsi isnt what you would get at the RSL - more like pepsi that has been open for a week or so.

The concern at the moment is that even if there is no gas connected to the keg, there appears to be some sort of carbonation still occurring within the keg as when I purge it, half hour later it is able to be purged again.

Not sure if this is making sense as I write it but, just trying to recreate what my local RSL can with their pepsi gun.

Any thoughts/constructive critisim/direction to get me out of the flat frothy hole are greatly appreciated. (basically, do I tip or just keep rolling on with it do you rekon?)

Ummm...

sugar needs a much higher carbonation I believe, better off doing a keg of soda water and pouring the cordial in your glass.

OR just ramp the gas WAAAAAAAY up, disconnect and shake and then do the same again.

54 minutes ago, Zubakov said:

their pepsi gun.

That has a box of syrup that is fed into the post mix

• Like 1

Yeah, I had the same problem when I tried to carbonate a keg of cordial mix, I figured it's because the SG of the mix is a lot higher than beer or whatever and therefore it's more difficult for the gas to absorb and carbonate it properly. 

After that failed experiment I just decided to carbonate water and mix whatever I want in the glass. Much easier 👍

• Like 1

The carbonated soft drink delivery systems that were used to dispense fizzy drinks way back in the Neolithic times when I worked behind various bars in various places were known as the post-mix. That is, the flavouring was mixed with the carbonated water post, or after. There was only one line delivering fizzy water and depending on which button you pressed a specific undiluted flavouring liquid was added en-route to the glass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zubakov said:

I've seen other posts on here from time to time where in the discussion of pepsi / other soft drink verities being kegged.

Following on with one of the posts I have seen, I dumped 2 x 9L sodastream pepsi max concentrates into 18L of water, chilled it down in the keg and applied about 300KPA over a few days. Normally, with beer this method takes 3 days + some rest time and when I tap the keg it is carbed (all be the first few schooners a bit frothy).

This time, however, when dispensing the 'pepsi' it is flat and has alot of head. Have had this before, but usually subsides after the first few schooners pulled. When the froth does subside, the pepsi isnt what you would get at the RSL - more like pepsi that has been open for a week or so.

The concern at the moment is that even if there is no gas connected to the keg, there appears to be some sort of carbonation still occurring within the keg as when I purge it, half hour later it is able to be purged again.

Not sure if this is making sense as I write it but, just trying to recreate what my local RSL can with their pepsi gun.

Any thoughts/constructive critisim/direction to get me out of the flat frothy hole are greatly appreciated. (basically, do I tip or just keep rolling on with it do you rekon?)

As others have said, just go with carbonating a keg of water and add your flavouring afterward.  I find a tablespoon of Sodastream flavouring in 250-300ml of carbonated water is about right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zubakov said:

I used a soda stream Ginger beer in my 9.5 litre keg seemed to work ok can’t remember what pressure I used but being a smaller volume it may have carbonated quicker/easier. I did have an old tap on which frothed a bit but I have changed to a nukatap now and haven’t tried soft drink since. My mate does a bundy and coke mix in his and has good results. I will try it again one day but have too many beers to make!

• Like 1

I have to agree with the other members on this one, I kegged 19L of pepsi once using sodastream mix, and although it carbonated properly and I didn't have any issues, I was stuck with it. As I don't drink much soft drink, I eventually tipped half of it out! I have found that if I or others are in the mood for a soft drink, I put a bit of syrup in a glass and fill with soda water which I always have on tap - as I drink a lot of soda water.

As for the issues with carbonation, just leave it at 10-12 psi (slightly higher than beer servinng pressure) and after a week, maybe 2 it will be excellent! I also have to agree, the soda water does carbonate quicker than with mix.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As others have said, just go with carbonating a keg of water and add your flavouring afterward.  I find a tablespoon of Sodastream flavouring in 250-300ml of carbonated water is about right.

I meant to add that I have my soda water keg set to just under 20psi.  10-12 gets it fizzy, but not enough for my preferences.