Coopers Community

Anything Rugby 🏉

Hi guys and gal's obviously there is a bit of interest for followers of Rugby on the forum.

Union or league it doesn't matter post experiences here. 

Personally I always preferred Union mainly the international games and world cups. Recently I have been getting into League and follow the Melbourne Storm. 

I'm sure there are some New South Welshman and Cane Toads who also follow the sport 😛20230511_192743.thumb.jpg.da722be68bdc5fdf6da767d4fd3dbe00.jpg

20230511_194321.jpg

20230511_220226.jpg

20230511_220403.jpg

4 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

You live in outer suburbs but know the city well?

Not exactly. I live in the middle suburbs but I do know the city well.

What I meant was Storm are the team I support but I don't support them very often.

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Not exactly. I live in the middle suburbs but I do know the city well.

What I meant was Storm are the team I support but I don't support them very often.

Yeah it's the AFL territory but slowly more getting on board for rugby.

They got a nice training academy going trying to get more Victorians into it. The same as the AFL expanding into Rugby territory.

had to google the year but i've been to one state of origin in my life, the 1994 one at the mcg

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/30/how-state-of-origin-won-over-the-mcg-in-1994/

nsw won 14-0. like a fair chunk of the 1990s, i don't really remember much aside from being there though 😆

will listen to tonight's game in the background. there was a lot of marketing for the game (posters, banners etc) when i was in adelaide last week too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stickers said:

had to google the year but i've been to one state of origin in my life, the 1994 one at the mcg

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/30/how-state-of-origin-won-over-the-mcg-in-1994/

nsw won 14-0. like a fair chunk of the 1990s, i don't really remember much aside from being there though 😆

will listen to tonight's game in the background. there was a lot of marketing for the game (posters, banners etc) when i was in adelaide last week too.

Cant remember what year it was think in the last 6 or 7 years. Biggest origin crown mcg sold out 100,000.

As far as tonight goes Cane Toads  boooooooo lol. 

Was a good game I don't really care was 3 storm players in Marones but I prefer NSW as QLD win more and are too cocky.

I think it's good they share it around other states too was 48,000 at the game Adelaide couldn't hold much more than that? good result

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Cant remember what year it was think in the last 6 or 7 years. Biggest origin crown mcg sold out 100,000.

As far as tonight goes Cane Toads  boooooooo lol. 

Was a good game I don't really care was 3 storm players in Marones but I prefer NSW as QLD win more and are too cocky.

I think it's good they share it around other states too was 48,000 at the game Adelaide couldn't hold much more than that? good result

I think Adelaide Oval capacity is 53,500. Whether the configuration for rugby league changes that I don't know but 48,000 is a top crowd for a non rugby state on a "school night"  in the cold of May. (Although the weather was rather good today for this time of year)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I think Adelaide Oval capacity is 53,500. Whether the configuration for rugby league changes that I don't know but 48,000 is a top crowd for a non rugby state on a "school night"  in the cold of May. (Although the weather was rather good today for this time of year)

Yeah it seems to have slightly warmed up again. A novelty you would not usually get sure brings a better crowd.

As you said for a school night or a Wednesday great effort for attendance. 

Might be a few sickies tomorrow also 😉

Edit and usually just the ground changes the field to a rectangular shape. Using barricades and doesn't affect the stadium part of it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Cocky yeah nargh

Try being a Qlder in the 70s and 80s mate when all our good QRL players went South to the big NSWRL and check out the NSW QLD games before SoO

We did it tough for years and years

More recently done a bit better, but we are never cocky

Go and search Arthur Beetson

The betting forecast yesterday for the Game was massively NSW win so go and do a websearch of how the press was talking up the Blues

The big NSWRL establishment still rules 

And yeah the population in Q is bigger that it was 1985 and we are going better the last few years but mate cocky, yeah, naaargh

Great that our indigenous and pacific island players are doing well

Nice ground Adelaide

And go the Storm

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling to understand this sub-forum, it is entitled Rugby but people just talk about AFL or Rugby League - hardly Rugby Union.

I had hoped to see discussions about the upcoming Bledisloe Cup Series and of course the Rugby Union World Cup coming up in France.

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I am struggling to understand this sub-forum, it is entitled Rugby but people just talk about AFL or Rugby League - hardly Rugby Union.

I had hoped to see discussions about the upcoming Bledisloe Cup Series and of course the Rugby Union World Cup coming up in France.

By all means start a subject about Rugby Union it's anything rugby. I also enjoy the game but don't see much of it. If you have photos or experiences etc post it here.

Give us a head start on the world cup if you want. I usually only start getting into it as it's happening.  I enjoy the union international games but it's hard to post about it if not watching or attending a game. 

I have barely seen a mention of AFL in this rugby thread. A couple of times over many posts,so I'm not sure where you are going with that one sorry.

Yeah sorry @Uhtred Of Beddanburg I didn't mean to be critical of you sub forum. I was just a little confused with the title that you gave it - Anything Rugby. Rugby, in accepted use, refers to Rugby Union and if you confuse that with Rugby League you will get a backlash from Rugby enthusiasts like me. Looking back I see nearly every post refers to Rugby League, not Rugby Union. So I guess that is my point - Rugby is not Rugby League, it is in fact Rugby Union.

Splitting hairs I know, but it is an important distinction of the 2 separate games.

• Like 1

@kmar92 yes I get your point about the destinction between codes. I thought by saying anything rugby it would just mean people could post about all codes or experience etc. 

I prefer union for world cup and all international games but prefer League for domestic. 

And I have to be honest I don't understand almost any of the union rules at all. I just like the fact that they keep going until score or someone makes a mistake.

Or 15 phases? And the scrum is a real scrum.  And the line ins etc. But as you know on international scale union is hard to come by or on different time zones and hard to watch

• Like 1

I wish i could get back in to Rugby union or League.

I loved playing rugby union  during my school days down in Tassie and then Playing for a Eastern Suburbs Rugby club  in Warrane 
Made it to senior level,  however everything came to a screaming halt for me after Playing a demo game with  Australian Navy rugby team.

I had just gone for the ball and there biggest bloke in the side  tackled me  and next minute i was on the sidelines head to the emergancy centre.
where it was discovered due to the knock i got from the tackle ,  I lost a Kidney and was told by the doc  if you go back into the Game or any contact sport in the future  you will be running the risk of death as the kidney could not be fixed and the other will be compensating for the lost kidney  (i still have the dead kidney as they said to me its not going to cause me issues with other vital areas and shouldnt move and is like the size of a golf ball)

Since then I have lost all interest in the both games and never really been able to get back into it..  Not sure why  , it maybe making me feel i just want to get out there and get amongst it all
again

My main position was 2nd row   but  have played every position with in the scrum and i used to  hate playing in the front row specially hooker (i am glad i only played that position twice in mylife.    Playing breakaway would have been the easiest i reckon..

However i must admit that league is the more pleasing game to watch then union becuase of the fast pace  and there is very little scrummage happening which slows the game down in union

however i am starting to slowly get back in watching the game a bit,  on both formats of the game 

But  rugby union is my choice of game

• Like 1

@ozdevil it certainly is hard on the body I would be killed in first tackle. Union blokes definitely get banged up a bit more with the proper scrums etc. 

The League can be more fast paced if not going to reviews all the time which seems to happen a bit. Such a technical game and they like to get it right.

That warrane rugby club is still there which I never knew about until had my brothers wake there last year.

When I was growing up there was to much of a gap in age groups of kids that had teams. after a couple of games of playing kids 2 or 3 years older it didn't last long lol.

Think there was a Rugby ground over near the DEC somewhere? Think it still there unless got my bearings wrong

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@ozdevil it certainly is hard on the body I would be killed in first tackle. Union blokes definitely get banged up a bit more with the proper scrums etc. 

The League can be more fast paced if not going to reviews all the time which seems to happen a bit. Such a technical game and they like to get it right.

That warrane rugby club is still there which I never knew about until had my brothers wake there last year.

When I was growing up there was to much of a gap in age groups of kids that had teams. after a couple of games of playing kids 2 or 3 years older it didn't last long lol.

Think there was a Rugby ground over near the DEC somewhere? Think it still there unless got my bearings wrong

rugby grounds was new town  just near the hobart cemetary , played there quite a bit as   juniour as well as senior ruby  

Glenorchy has a Rugby ground  but is located in Eadey Street .  my Grand mother only lived 200 metres up the road then

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Great to See eddie Betts out and about  from his media duties

Yeah poor bloke was stared at for most of the game and photos etc. Hence why got mine why looking at his phone at half time. 

One bloke tried to climb the barricade to the fancy bit and get a hand shake. Then the idiot got shitty when he declined.

Yes I got a photo but people need to understand they want to go and enjoy things without every tom,dick and Harry asking for a selfie and hand shake. Or the occasional can you sign my underpants or bra.

Was just good luck that he was sitting right behind me on the next level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

I wish i could get back in to Rugby union or League.

I loved playing rugby union  during my school days down in Tassie and then Playing for a Eastern Suburbs Rugby club  in Warrane 
Made it to senior level,  however everything came to a screaming halt for me after Playing a demo game with  Australian Navy rugby team.

I had just gone for the ball and there biggest bloke in the side  tackled me  and next minute i was on the sidelines head to the emergancy centre.
where it was discovered due to the knock i got from the tackle ,  I lost a Kidney and was told by the doc  if you go back into the Game or any contact sport in the future  you will be running the risk of death as the kidney could not be fixed and the other will be compensating for the lost kidney  (i still have the dead kidney as they said to me its not going to cause me issues with other vital areas and shouldnt move and is like the size of a golf ball)

Since then I have lost all interest in the both games and never really been able to get back into it..  Not sure why  , it maybe making me feel i just want to get out there and get amongst it all
again

My main position was 2nd row   but  have played every position with in the scrum and i used to  hate playing in the front row specially hooker (i am glad i only played that position twice in mylife.    Playing breakaway would have been the easiest i reckon..

However i must admit that league is the more pleasing game to watch then union becuase of the fast pace  and there is very little scrummage happening which slows the game down in union

however i am starting to slowly get back in watching the game a bit,  on both formats of the game 

But  rugby union is my choice of game

It is amazing how we are all different, follow different things, I have never watched or played rugby at all probably because I simply cannot understand it let alone knew the difference between the two. The same applies to Soccer, I did play tennis as a kid but became very bored with it.

Obviously, I had other interests but even now I don't care much about any sport.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah poor bloke was stared at for most of the game and photos etc. Hence why got mine why looking at his phone at half time. 

One bloke tried to climb the barricade to the fancy bit and get a hand shake. Then the idiot got shitty when he declined.

Yes I got a photo but people need to understand they want to go and enjoy things without every tom,dick and Harry asking for a selfie and hand shake. Or the occasional can you sign my underpants or bra.

Was just good luck that he was sitting right behind me on the next level.

We had gather round for the AFL recently in Adelaide. I was walking down King William St next to one of my favourites of all time Joel Selwood. Asked for a photo with my 8yo daughter and he was an absolute gentleman. Footy careers are short they should enjoy while it lasts. Go the Cats! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

We had gather round for the AFL recently in Adelaide. I was walking down King William St next to one of my favourites of all time Joel Selwood. Asked for a photo with my 8yo daughter and he was an absolute gentleman. Footy careers are short they should enjoy while it lasts. Go the Cats! 

I'm sure in some situations they all ablige. The trouble would be when they do it for one person everyone expects it. 

The worse part was the bloke getting the shits because he said no. I don't think that's right at all.