Coopers Community

Fermenting

Gregman

4 minutes ago, Gregman said:

I followed all the brewing directions and the temperature is at 22°c, but there is no foam. What went wrong?

I assume u added the yeast?

Normally takes about 10-12hrs to get going.

If not and yeast is floating on top give it a bit of a stir to ensure the yeast is nice and wet.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I assume u added the yeast?

Normally takes about 10-12hrs to get going.

If not and yeast is floating on top give it a bit of a stir to ensure the yeast is nice and wet.

The yeast was floating on top, so I gave it a quick stir. Thank you for the help.

23 minutes ago, Gregman said:

The yeast was floating on top, so I gave it a quick stir. Thank you for the help.

Yeh, often happens due to surface tension. Should be all go by tomorrow morning. 22c will be fine

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gregman said:

If you’ve done all the right things I would leave it alone it will do it’s thing!

If you have the coopers fermenter do you see condensation on the lid which indicates the yeast is active. 
How long since you pitched the yeast? What yeast/recipe did you use?

if you still have concerns in a few days take a hydrometer reading that is the best way to tell if it’s happening!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

If you’ve done all the right things I would leave it alone it will do it’s thing!

If you have the coopers fermenter do you see condensation on the lid which indicates the yeast is active. 

if you still have concerns in a few days take a hydrometer reading that is the best way to tell if it’s happening!

Yeah, I always found the Coopers Dark Ale & Coopers Stout recipes to be easy to brew & very forgiving if you stick the instructions without too many variances. 

It is hard to muck wither of them up unless you steer right away from the rules.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

This is what my beer is doing. Is it fermenting correctly?

IMG_20230525_071000741.jpg

IMG_20230525_070951262.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Is the airlock bubbling? That's my first sign that fermentation is going on.

Those things are notoriously unreliable, any leak in the seal and it won't bubble even when it is fermenting. 

In any case from the photos it looks like a Coopers fermenter which doesn't have an airlock anyway, and it appears to be already finished. The yeast sitting on top isn't dry granules. Check the SG with a hydrometer.

• Like 2