Coopers Community

How big is the home brew scene?

jennyss

Hi @Oldbloke, I talked to the manager of Furney's in Dubbo yesterday.  He politely listened to my query and suggestion about stocking homebrew ingredients and equipment. However, he said that the Furney's group of companies were focussed on milling, and retailing stock feed and equipment, and would not consider taking on homebrew gear. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Oldbloke, I talked to the manager of Furney's in Dubbo yesterday.  He politely listened to my query and suggestion about stocking homebrew ingredients and equipment. However, he said that the Furney's group of companies were focussed on milling, and retailing stock feed and equipment, and would not consider taking on homebrew gear. 

I thought that was a good idea, too. But, now, I'm thinking the manager is probably right. Running an LHBS is more than just stocking equipment and ingredients, you also need expertise. You need someone who understands the equipment and ingredients and can offer advice to the customers. When I go to one I don't just carry a list of ingredients I want, I have a list of questions to fire at them, too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I thought that was a good idea, too. But, now, I'm thinking the manager is probably right. Running an LHBS is more than just stocking equipment and ingredients, you also need expertise. You need someone who understands the equipment and ingredients and can offer advice to the customers. When I go to one I don't just carry a list of ingredients I want, I have a list of questions to fire at them, too.

The initial outlay would have to be substantial to make any sort of statement & of course we all know the range of products/equipment is so diverse that you would be forever trying to increase your range to attract customers. Apart from new brewers there would be seasoned brewers in & around the area that may be willing to patronise you for convenience however it then comes down to competitive prices & ability to order in & stock whet people are ask for it.

The main thing is you would need is a background in brewing & of course the knowledge & experience to assist & help your customers.

I am not knocking the idea, but over the years I have serviced many businesses including rural that have tried it as a sideline or even the idea of growing into a profitable business, but a lot couldn't end up achieving it & ended up selling the stock off cheap to try & recoup their money.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kegory said:

4000 in Dubbo.

I'm in Geelong.  Population about 254,000.

Two HBS. One is just HB the other is a rural type hardware. 

Sooo, I would have thought a full on LHBS for Dubbo wouldn't be viable. But a small one selling kits and fermentables, all the basics 3-4 days a week would do ok.

Like I said earlier,  I think you could sell that stuff from a half decent shed. 

37 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

4000 in Dubbo

Dubbo population is 40,000! 

It is a good comment that @Kegory made; that most people go to a homebrew shop with questions; so like to have knowledgeable people serving. But you certainly don't get any help at BigW or Woolies. Guess that's a big part of why the Coopers Community and other sites are so popular - to share information and tips.

• Like 2

Lots of online stores, some with good freight rates

In-store if you want/need to talk to someone.

Tough for bricks and mortar stores to make a go of it against the online option

Just my thoughts

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Dubbo population is 40,000! 

It is a good comment that @Kegory made; that most people go to a homebrew shop with questions; so like to have knowledgeable people serving. But you certainly don't get any help at BigW or Woolies. Guess that's a big part of why the Coopers Community and other sites are so popular - to share information and tips.

Considering that Coopers alone sell everything from grain, malts, hops & DIY products including beer kits & equipment, there are also many online other brew supply stores & with the trend leaning more to online shopping a small retail outlet would struggle.

Anyway ask @Hoppy81 he is in the business.

• Like 2

Aussie Brewmakers is in Mansfield, Victoria. Population 3400.  Never been to the store, but would love to go one day.  Ordered lots of stuff from them on-line.  Outstanding customer service.  Quite good on-line store.  Very knowledgeable and clearly passionate about brewing.  Much more to be a successful LHBS than having nearby customers.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Aussie Brewmakers is in Mansfield, Victoria. Population 3400.  Never been to the store, but would love to go one day.  Ordered lots of stuff from them on-line.  Outstanding customer service.  Quite good on-line store.  Very knowledgeable and clearly passionate about brewing.  Much more to be a successful LHBS than having nearby customers.

I reckon online would be a very high percentage of their sales. Like I said only two in Geelong region.

• Like 3