Coopers Community

Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA

I bought a tin of Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA, enticed by the description "This American style IPA is made in the tradition of that heavier Ale. Full bodied with deep amber and reddish hues, its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish". 

Now my order has arrived I read that this recipe calls for 3 x 500g packets of Light Dry Malt and no other brew enhancers or sugar (apart from sugar added to the bottles when filling). I will stick to the recipe, but I would really like to hear from others who have used this IPA extract - what did you do with it, how did you like it, what did it taste like?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I bought a tin of Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA, enticed by the description "This American style IPA is made in the tradition of that heavier Ale. Full bodied with deep amber and reddish hues, its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish". 

Now my order has arrived I read that this recipe calls for 3 x 500g packets of Light Dry Malt and no other brew enhancers or sugar (apart from sugar added to the bottles when filling). I will stick to the recipe, but I would really like to hear from others who have used this IPA extract - what did you do with it, how did you like it, what did it taste like?

Hi Jenny,

I have done the Brew A many times; I would stick to the 3 x 500gms of LDM as it gives the necessary body as described.

Attached is the last one I did, it really is a great beer, I used 50gms of Galaxy Hops.

I would suggest sticking to the recipe first time & then you could decide if you wanted a lighter style by using BE2 + 1 x 500gm LDM & play with different yeast & hops.

All the best.

20230315_065732.thumb.jpg.d22245e628815c699fd7f13bb66e1d75.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have to agree with Classic, Follow the recipe for the first time.

It makes a strong brew, if you prefer beers a bit less in ABV only put in 1 kilo of LDM.

Hops to taste, or wait till next time you brew it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Jenny,

I have done the Brew A many times; I would stick to the 3 x 500gms of LDM as it gives the necessary body as described.

Attached is the last one I did, it really is a great beer, I used 50gms of Galaxy Hops.

I would suggest sticking to the recipe first time & then you could decide if you wanted a lighter style by using BE2 + 1 x 500gm LDM & play with different yeast & hops.

All the best.

20230315_065732.thumb.jpg.d22245e628815c699fd7f13bb66e1d75.jpg

Correction - I used Cascade.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jennyss said:

1.5kg of Light Dry Malt will get this brew up around 5% which is suited to the style.  If you are okay with that level of ABV, go for it.  1kg of LDM is closer to 4.2%.  Although its ABV is less, the bitterness will be more noticeable.

I did the Brew A IPA in 2018 with 1.6kg of LDM.  It was nice.  Around 5% is not over the top alcohol content. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

1.5kg of Light Dry Malt will get this brew up around 5% which is suited to the style.  If you are okay with that level of ABV, go for it.  1kg of LDM is closer to 4.2%.  Although its ABV is less, the bitterness will be more noticeable.

I did the Brew A IPA in 2018 with 1.6kg of LDM.  It was nice.  Around 5% is not over the top alcohol content. 

Thanks for correcting my comments @Shamus O'Sean, I thought this one was about 6%, just checked the Spreadsheet and can't work out where I made the mistake!

I try to keep most of my brews in the 4.2-5% range. Never been a fan of Big Beers.

Thanks

• Like 3

@jennyss For simplicity and cost I usually just add a 1.5kg tin of light malt extract and make it to 24 or 25 litres. Once bottled it comes in at low 4% range. IPA is already quite hoppy so I have never added extra hops to it. Personally I don't think it's necessary. It's a very nice, full flavoured beer.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I put one of these down today. Like the TS FS Amber (which was great as a standard recipie) I thought I do this one standard first too for the first one. (Maybe some Amarillo or Mosaic added to the second one.)

Ingredients:

1 x Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA x 1.7kg

1 x LDME 1500g

Safale US-05 11g yeast 

Total volume was 23 ltrs.

Mixed all in the FV. OG was 1.049 pre yeast pitching. Coopers standard recipe says the Original Gravity (OG) will be 1.046 +/- .002. FG: 1010-1015 (for 23 ltrs). Brew temp’ regulation was set for ~21 deg C.

@1615 The Safale US-05 11g yeast was pitched (sprinkled) and wort temp' was 21.0 deg' C.

More later 😋

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 5:58 AM, jennyss said:

Pretty much sums up with what I brewed. How did yours go @jennyss ?

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Pretty much sums up with what I brewed. How did yours go @jennyss ?

@Pale Man, This is why I have called for help with beer tasting and making notes! Back in March when I brewed the Coopers Brew A IPA the big flavour and rich mouthfeel was a shock to me after a series of Australian Pale Ales. I loved it, but I couldn't describe it any more than that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Pale Man, This is why I have called for help with beer tasting and making notes! Back in March when I brewed the Coopers Brew A IPA the big flavour and rich mouthfeel was a shock to me after a series of Australian Pale Ales. I loved it, but I couldn't describe it any more than that. 

I know the frustration, Jenny. My descriptions of tastes are limited to good, really good and not bad. From memory I can only remember one beer that I thought was bad and it wasn't home brewed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

bought a tin of Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA, enticed by the description "This American style IPA is made in the tradition of that heavier Ale. Full bodied with deep amber and reddish hues, its tropical, citrusy, grapefruit notes and toasty amber malt balances the clean, hop filled, bitter finish". 

Jenny, I have brewed this many times & really like it. It does need the 1.5kg of malt to give it body, see if you can buy some bulk, a lot cheaper than buying 500gm boxes.

As you can see, I added 50gm infusion on day 10 & kegged/bottled after 14 days.

You can still tailor it to suit your taste but this tasted really good.

Cheers

Phil

20230315_065732.thumb.jpg.ada6b42a107a334c23220b461f1fcc0b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Brewed a new Mod' TC IPA-A last Sunday.

Ingredients:

1 x Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA x 1.7kg

1 x 1.4 Cooper Light Liquid Malt (1.2 Kg malt)

528gm Coopers BE3 (~ 158g Dextrose, 104g Maltodextrine, 264g LDME)

35gm Cascade pellet hops

40gm Mosaic pellet hops

20gm Citra pellet hops

Safale US-05 11g yeast 

So the hop mix on this one is:

EKG and Cascade (base IPA extract hops) Floral, Herbaceous, and refined, with Grapefruit.

More late boil Cascade hop for more grapefruit flavour, and medium-intense floral and spice citrus qualities, as well as for dry hopping.

Late boil Mosaic hop for fruity (blueberry), citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), tropical (mango, guava), floral, and earthy flavours, as well as for dry hopping. And lastly dry hop Citra for grapefruit, citrus, peach, melon, lime, gooseberry, passion fruit and lychee.

All with a base amber malt (yummy) and a heaps more light malt.

It should have a great mouth feel and be very juicy 🤩

Boiled 528gm Coopers BE3 in 2lts water

15min boil of 10gm Cascade & 10gm Mosaic

1min boil of 10gm Cascade & 10gm Mosaic

Took off boil and cool in tub of cold water in sink

Mixed Coopers IPA A extract can and coopers light malt can in FV with warm water.

Strained the boiled hops and BE3 liquid into the FV. 

Stirred FV vigorously

Started filling with 6 x 1.5ltr bottles of cold water to help bring temp' down, and the rest tap water.

Total FV volume was 23 ltrs.

Rehydrated 11gm Safale US-05 yeast with 25 deg. C water for 15min then a stir, then 5 min.

Added 15gm of cascade hops, 20gm of mosaic hops, and 20gm of Citra hops to sanitised dry hop bomb, and set the trigger.

OG before yeast pitch was 1.0595 from calibrated hydrom.

(Coopers standard recipe says the Original Gravity (OG) will be 1.046 +/- .002. FG: 1010-1015 (for 23 ltrs))

Brew temp’ regulation was set for ~21 deg C.

Should be bottling tomorrow or the next day and will do a taste sample then.

Edited by Back2Brewing
  • Like 5