Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

37 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

So I have a Cali IPA that has finished fermenting I have raised the temperature 1.5 degrees and it has been that for 2 days I want to drop it to 15c and add a dry hop

Can I drop it straight to 15c or do I have to drop it over a couple of days?

If it's finished fermenting then the yeast aren't going to produce any off flavours (provided you don't kill them en masse). That's my understanding, anyway. I think you should be right to drop it. When I give mine an ambient crash I just turn the inkbird off and let the temperature fall naturally. It takes quite some time to get a 23L batch of beer to cool down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kegory said:

If it's finished fermenting then the yeast aren't going to produce any off flavours (provided you don't kill them en masse). That's my understanding, anyway. I think you should be right to drop it. When I give mine an ambient crash I just turn the inkbird off and let the temperature fall naturally. It takes quite some time to get a 23L batch of beer to cool down.

My fv is in the temp fridge so good to go straight to 15c?

I don't want to finish up in the failed thread 🙂

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

My fv is in the temp fridge so good to go straight to 15c?

I don't want to finish up in the failed thread 🙂

26 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Some brewers say it is better to do it in stages, perhaps 5c per day would be better than forcing the fridge down.

Dear fail thread. Today I blew up my fridge. I've only had it a week.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Can I drop it straight to 15c or do I have to drop it over a couple of days?

Straight to 15°C is fine.

When dropping from say 20°C to 1°C, I usually do it in a couple of steps to make it a bit easier on the fridge/freezer.  Typically 12°C for 5-6 hours, 6°C for 5-6 hours, then to 1°C.

• Thanks 1

Irish Red Ale

IMG_20231003_191512295.thumb.jpg.5c6087d43bbc330582a2e1e1a968dfa9.jpg

I like the colour of the wort.

Introducing the latest brewery innovation at The O'Connorwery, the steeping flask.

IMG_20231003_160113767.thumb.jpg.f25cfd717b8fafb4b7f429a7f980ea57.jpg

I also used a liquid yeast for the first time.

IMG_20231003_171152270.thumb.jpg.918b8a71d89f1f3402a8f4f9d94b938e.jpg

Unfortunately when I smacked the pack only one of the nutrient packs burst. I didn't realize it was a double pack. I added the second one to the FV.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I've got my IPA down to 15c and tomorrow I'll dry hop with 50g of strata hops for 4 full days the keg it

What's the thinking behind dropping the temperature before dry hopping?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

What's the thinking behind dropping the temperature before dry hopping?

Get it down and hold it for 24hrs as a soft crash then dry hop to give the best hop aroma and flavour I'm not going to cold crash as the soft crash should settle a lot of stuff out of the brew

• Like 2

All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK thrown in the FV this arvo, first time using an FWK, definitely much simpler and faster than tins, steeps and boils! 😅 Keen as to see how it goes. Using Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead yeast (wanted either lalbrew Verdant IPA or New England IPA but they were out of stock on the day), and I’ll be dry hopping with 60g Citra and 60g El Dorado whilst I cold crash. Made up to 20ish liters.

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK thrown in the FV this arvo, first time using an FWK, definitely much simpler and faster than tins, steeps and boils! 😅 Keen as to see how it goes. Using Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead yeast (wanted either lalbrew Verdant IPA or New England IPA but they were out of stock on the day), and I’ll be dry hopping with 60g Citra and 60g El Dorado whilst I cold crash. Made up to 20ish liters.

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

What temp will you ferment it at?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

So much easier.

Sounds like it'll be a winner. @do not consume rates the Hophead. Still yet to use it myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

looks like a Stout or Dark Ale.

Its a Grapefruit IPA. I have a 4 beer paddle so needed to have a good variety.

Have  (in order of serving) a Corona clone, the Amber ale, this Grapefruit IPA and a choc hazelnut stout. 

All I need now is the worlds largest steak and I am sorted

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 10/11/2023 at 8:47 AM, Cult Of One said:

OK, its looking good, have family coming from OS to stay in 7 weeks, this should be bottle conditioned to perfection. BBQ on the deck with a few cold ones

K.jpg

Is this the Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA?

I brewed one and that's what mine looked like. Took about three weeks to ferment.

Long story, but I sent MJ an email about it. They ended up sending me two kits and two liquid malts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I haven't posted for a while. I've been a bit busy, but have been reading the forum on and off.

I've got two brews going at the moment.

A Morgans Cider. Slightly out of date. I bought some new yeast though. Safcider AB-1.
I'm going to add a Morgans lime flavouring to this.
Then re use the yeast for another cider. Also slightly out of date. Two cans for $10.

In the other fridge I have an All Inn Brewing Kissaki FWK. A bloke in work came around and did some plastering for me last week, so I'll be giving half of that away to him.

morgans-apple-cider.png

IMG20231009071050 (1).jpg

• Like 6

Today was a triple first. First brew starting off in the Fermenting fridge and first time I used a can of Coopers Real Ale. Added one BE2, 500g of LDM. Also used wifey’s Thermomix for the first time to mash 200g of Caramalt for 30 min on 64 degrees and then boiled the wort for 10 minutes and made a hop stand of 15g each of Galaxy and Zappa hops. I am planing of dry hopping later with another 25g each , or maybe a bit more Galaxy. Tastes quite nice so far. OG 1048. Pitched and fermenting at 20 degrees. So far no action. I think I will call this one “Nanook’s Real Ale ( contains no yellow snow)”

IMG_8243.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Today was a triple first. First brew starting off in the Fermenting fridge and first time I used a can of Coopers Real Ale. Added one BE2, 500g of LDM. Also used wifey’s Thermomix for the first time to mash 200g of Caramalt for 30 min on 64 degrees and then boiled the wort for 10 minutes and made a hop stand of 15g each of Galaxy and Zappa hops. I am planing of dry hopping later with another 25g each , or maybe a bit more Galaxy. Tastes quite nice so far. OG 1048. Pitched and fermenting at 20 degrees. So far no action. I think I will call this one “Nanook’s Real Ale ( contains no yellow snow)”

IMG_8243.jpeg

Brilliant, thanks @Brauhaus Fritz, I had never even thought of using the better halves Thermomix to do partial mashing and hop steeping - such a great idea 👏😉

I’m thinking the “Nanooks Real Ale sounds like it will be an absolute winner. I’m also sure you will love the freedom a fermentation fridge gives you ✅✅🙌

Cheers n cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found the tip on a Facebook post. I only used the Thermomix for mashing. It only works for little quantities due to the 2.2 liter limit. The wort I tipped into a pot for boiling and hop stand. It seemed to work fine, constant temperature and easy cleaning. apparently you can stir the grains as well while mashing, couldn't work this one out so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, Graculus said:

Is this the Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA?

I brewed one and that's what mine looked like. Took about three weeks to ferment.

Long story, but I sent MJ an email about it. They ended up sending me two kits and two liquid malts.

It is the MJ one yes.

Crikey, thanks for the feedback. 3 weeks is a crazy long time to have a nice big tank sitting on my kitchen bench!. I checked the gravity yesterday and its is very slow. Its been in for 10+ days and is less than halfway to where I need it to be before bottling.  

• Like 3