Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

On 8/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, DavidM said:

Trendy Trousers Amber Ale

Made this one last year and it was my favorite Amber so far, time to have another go at it.

This time I had most of the ingredients on hand, so it's close to the listed Recipe.

Pale Ale can & 1.3k Light Dry Malt

150g each of Roasted Barley and Light Crystal Malt, cold steeped for 24 hours.

300g Maltodextrin

30g Galaxy hops boiled for 15 min.

US-05 yeast

This brew has the galaxy hops so is it a session ale with nice bitterness?

I really want to brew a session Ale without the fruity tastes of craft beer I have used Amarillo hops and it has that fruity taste

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I really want to brew a session Ale without the fruity tastes of craft beer I have used Amarillo hops and it has that fruity taste

I don't recall the last one having a fruity taste, just a smooth easy drinking brew.

Many hops to pick from, Pride of Ringwood is good for Bittering without the "craft beer" fruity tastes.

I'm sure you will find one to suit your style 🍻

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I don't recall the last one having a fruity taste, just a smooth easy drinking brew.

Many hops to pick from, Pride of Ringwood is good for Bittering without the "craft beer" fruity tastes.

I'm sure you will find one to suit your style 🍻

You don't find the maltodextrin gives it a syrupy feel?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

You don't find the maltodextrin gives it a syrupy feel?

No,

BE 1,2 and 3 all contain Maltodextrin

I've read it adds to the "Mouth feel" but I'm not good enough to tell.

I didn't have any dextrose, so I added more LDM, which is my preferred option!

I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple of months.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No,

BE 1,2 and 3 all contain Maltodextrin

I've read it adds to the "Mouth feel" but I'm not good enough to tell.

I didn't have any dextrose, so I added more LDM, which is my preferred option!

I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple of months.

👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Hey BB,

If you don’t like fruity flavours then Galaxy is not the hop for you. In fact it may be best to lay off any late hop addition unless it’s one you really like. Pride of Ringwood (as David suggests) is a hop flavour that is associated with many beers in Australia (not sure where you are though).  Super pride is another one but high in alpha acids so use sparingly.  

Yeasts can also contribute to fruity flavours by producing esters and phenols. So take care to pick a neutral yeast and ferment at the lower end of their recommended temperature range.   I find Nottingham is a good neutral ale yeast, and W34/70 is a good lager yeast. Also avoiding temperature variation (particularly during the first few days) during fermentation will help avoid fruity flavours from the yeast if using a neutral yeast.

Cheers, Tone

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey BB,

If you don’t like fruity flavours then Galaxy is not the hop for you. In fact it may be best to lay off any late hop addition unless it’s one you really like. Pride of Ringwood (as David suggests) is a hop flavour that is associated with many beers in Australia (not sure where you are though).  Super pride is another one but high in alpha acids so use sparingly.  

Yeasts can also contribute to fruity flavours by producing esters and phenols. So take care to pick a neutral yeast and ferment at the lower end of their recommended temperature range.   I find Nottingham is a good neutral ale yeast, and W34/70 is a good lager yeast. Also avoiding temperature variation (particularly during the first few days) during fermentation will help avoid fruity flavours from the yeast if using a neutral yeast.

Cheers, Tone

Thanks TB I'm in Australia 

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks TB I'm in Australia 

Here’s a good website if you want to explore what various hops can offer. Many don’t have the fruity characteristics that some newer hops have, so have a look at aroma and flavour characteristics. I can certainly recommend hallertau mittelfrüh for lagers. 
https://www.hopslist.com/hops/

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Here’s a good website if you want to explore what various hops can offer. Many don’t have the fruity characteristics that some newer hops have, so have a look at aroma and flavour characteristics. I can certainly recommend hallertau mittelfrüh for lagers. 

Just getting in to brewing again I have only tried Amarillo hops and it definitely had the fruity taste. It's still a good brew and quite drinkable.

If I used POR as an example with say 

1 can Pale Ale, 1 kilo LDME, 200g of light crystal malt steeped for 30 minutes with Nottingham yeast or US05 how much of POR would you use in the boil for a nice mellow bitterness on the finish.

Another question how would the above recipe go with no hop additions just brew it and drink it or would it be a bit sweet.

• Like 2

Just getting in to brewing again I have only tried Amarillo hops and it definitely had the fruity taste. It's still a good brew and quite drinkable.

1 can Pale Ale, 1 kilo LDME, 200g of light crystal malt steeped for 30 minutes with Nottingham yeast or US05 how much of POR would you use in the boil for a nice mellow bitterness on the finish.

Another question how would the above recipe go with no hop additions just brew it and drink it or would it be a bit sweet.

Personally I wouldn’t boil any hops with that brew because, to my tastes, Coopers kits are bitter enough. The longer you boil hops, the more bitterness you will get.

I tend to add hops after the boil has finished. Sometimes immediately after the boil (so at 99 degrees) and sometimes I’ll cool the wort to approximately 85 degrees and then add hops. I typically steep hops for 20 minutes this way, then cool the pot in a cold water bath and strain into the FV.

I think your recipe above would be perfectly fine with no extra hop bitterness. If you wanted to add hops, I would consider 25g of POR at flameout for 20 minutes.  POR is not really fruity, but more floral/spice aroma but not huge.  It’s a familiar aroma to Aussies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Very nice brew and simple, almost what I do for my standard Pale Ale.

I add a bit of bitterness with a boil of PoR or Super Pride, or something else, usually a 10 min boil.

I also dry hop most of the time but that's for my taste.

Keep it Simple

• Like 5

I put this Hoppy Real Ale together yesterday in just over 2 hours.  Bit of a keg filler.  Using up some hops I have had for a while.

• Coopers Real Ale
  • Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • 10g Ekuanot 20 minute hop steep
  • 27g Lemondrop and 13g Amarillo dry hop in a few days
  • 23 L batch
  • 4.2% ABV predicted

Brewing it in the garage in the temperature controlled cardboard box.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I put this Hoppy Real Ale together yesterday in just over 2 hours.  Bit of a keg filler.  Using up some hops I have had for a while.

• Coopers Real Ale
  • 23 L batch
  • 4.2% ABV predicted

Will the lemon drop neutralise the citrus of the Amarillo?

25 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Will the lemon drop neutralise the citrus of the Amarillo?

I hop they blend together for a nice citrus hop bomb.  I did not design it that way.  I do not know hops very well, in terms of what brings what and what combos work well together.  I am more of a trial and error brewer when it comes to hops. 😁

• Like 7

On 8/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Coopers Real Ale
  • 23 L batch
  • 4.2% ABV predicted

Hi @Shamus O'Sean you got my attention with reference to a temperature controlled cardboard box - what the heck is that? Can you please share some specs and or a photo or two?

I have a bar fridge I have converted into a ferment fridge (complete with heat tube and inkbird temp controller), best thing I’ve ever done as it allows me to brew any style at any time of the year and manage a diacetyl rest and cold crash etc, but I often want to brew an apple cider for my girl, but can find it hard to find a ferment fridge free time, so maybe a “temperature controlled cardboard box” might provide a second option. 
IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.fc83ee9dbbffa173decc5939c6c73bb5.jpeg
Thanks in advance 🤞🏻

Cheers - Vince 🍺🍺

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hi @Shamus O'Sean you got my attention with reference to a temperature controlled cardboard box - what the heck is that? Can you please share some specs and or a photo or two?

I have a bar fridge I have converted into a ferment fridge (complete with heat tube and inkbird temp controller), best thing I’ve ever done as it allows me to brew any style at any time of the year and manage a diacetyl rest and cold crash etc, but I often want to brew an apple cider for my girl, but can find it hard to find a ferment fridge free time, so maybe a “temperature controlled cardboard box” might provide a second option. 
IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.fc83ee9dbbffa173decc5939c6c73bb5.jpeg
Thanks in advance 🤞🏻

Cheers - Vince 🍺🍺

What make and model is that bar fridge all the one's I have seen have some sort of freezer compartment none that are open like yours

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

What make and model is that bar fridge all the one's I have seen have some sort of freezer compartment none that are open like yours

you can have a look at these at kegland 
https://www.kegland.com.au/collections/kegerators
  that are very similar to triple b brewings 

the kegland ones   will fit most  standard  fermenters as well as up to the 35 litre snubnose and the kegland allrounder fermenters

the good thing if you go one of these  they will have the pre cut  holes for a  4 tap font down the single font as well as 2  ports at that back you can use for gas or other uses

series X fridge $465  brand new   but this is just for the fridge only will not come with castor wheels or any other accessories.

Series X - Fridge ONLY - KegLand

series x can hold 4 19litre kegs 

i use my kegarator as fermention chamber when it doesnt have beer in kegs  and works quite well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you can have a look at these at kegland 
https://www.kegland.com.au/collections/kegerators
  that are very similar to triple b brewings 

the kegland ones   will fit most  standard  fermenters as well as up to the 35 litre snubnose and the kegland allrounder fermenters

the good thing if you go one of these  they will have the pre cut  holes for a  4 tap font down the single font as well as 2  ports at that back you can use for gas or other uses

series X fridge $465  brand new   but this is just for the fridge only will not come with castor wheels or any other accessories.

series x can hold 4 19litre kegs 

i use my kegarator as fermention chamber when it doesnt have beer in kegs  and works quite well.

Thanks for that OD but I wanted to know because I'm looking to source one off of Facebook or Gumtree

I have series x kegerator but it always has 🍺 in it

• Like 3

On 8/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, Tone boy said:

Hi all,

While I'm by no means a hop scientist 😉, I 100% align with the comments made by @Tone boy re when to add hops and the resulting effects.

While not as comprehensive in the number of types listed, I found this website an easy point of reference for all things Hops and cross referencing the different purposes and uses (you can search and sort the list by clicking on the arrows in the header), give it a whirl ...  https://homebrewacademy.com/hops-chart/

My research in regard to Hops and especially dry hopping has found the following:

• By definition, any hop addition to wort or beer after it has been chilled to fermentation temperatures is considered dry-hopping.
  • Since dry-hop additions take place at cool temperatures, beer does not become more bitter from hops added during dry-hopping because alpha acids are never converted.
  • Dry hopping can be done during primary fermentation, after fermentation (ie; after no air lock activity for 12-24 hours), or both.
  • A “normal” measurement for dry hopping is between 1–2 oz. (28–56 g) of hops for a five-gallon (19-L) batch. But the real answer to the question of how much is simply,  “as much as you want.”  Amounts for a standard 19 Litres (5-gallon batch) vary from about 14gm (half an ounce) for something subtle like a blonde ale to more than 142gm (5 ounces) for hoppy IPAs.
  • If you want just a hint of hop aroma you might go as low as a 1/2 oz. (14 g). If you want a beer that will knock you over with a pungent hop flavour and aroma, you might decide to go nuts and throw in 4 oz. (112 grams).
  • Some hop varieties commonly used for dry hopping include (but are in no way limited to) Cascade, Crystal, Willamette, East Kent Golding, Fuggle, Saaz, Hallertau and Tettnanger. (refer to Aroma and or All Purpose in the website listed above for this info).
  • About 48 hours after adding “dry” hops, the aroma compounds of the hop oils will be fully extracted into the beer.
  •  Extraction can happen as quickly as 24 hours! Do not let hops sit in the FV for any more than 48 – 72 hours. If the hops sit for more time in the vessel, more polyphenols and other less pleasant compounds can be absorbed.
  • Alpha acids become bitter flavour compounds at high temperatures of 79.44 °C.  So if you add your hops during the boil bitter compounds will be released.
  • Higher concentrations of Alpha acids in hops are responsible for contributing more bitterness to the beer, while, Beta Acid concentrations are an indicator of the hops potential for attributing aromatic qualities to the beer. Therefore when dry hopping, as a guideline: for best results, you should dry hop with lower alpha acid hops when possible. (again, refer to the website listed above for this info).
  •  Co2 bubbling and agitation takes some of the hop aroma out of the beer
  • Dry Hopping Techniques

My typical and personal approach is to dry hop with palletised hops;

• I add hops when fermentation is an estimated 2 days away from finishing.
  • I measure out my desired hop into a dampened muslin bag(s) (big enough to allow for expansion).
  • I partially open my fermentation vessel (FV) lid enough to drop the bag of hops in.
  • Leave in the FV for no more than 3 days (NOTE: the bag(s) of hops will float on the top of the wort).
  • After the 3rd day I partially open my fermentation vessel (FV) lid again enough to remove the dry hop bag(s) and then set the temp to 3 degrees C for a 2 day cold crash (NOTE: my understanding is because there is still a full headspace of Co2 in the FV created from the fermentation process (remembering CO2 is  times heavier than air so a CO2 layer sits on top of the wort), as long as you do not go crazy disturbing the peace in there, no oxidisation will occur. - which has always been my experience).
  • After cold crashing for 2 days, I then rack to kegs, set the Co2 keg pressure to 30PSI for the first 2 days, then allow the pressure to reduce by absorption to ~10PSI for the next 5 days, and then on day 7 or 8 I typically proceed to guzzle a cold glass (or five) of the new brew when the hop aroma is at its highest with a very large grin on one's dial - MMMMMM 😋🍺
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks for that OD but I wanted to know because I'm looking to source one off of Facebook or Gumtree

I have series x kegerator but it always has 🍺 in it

Hi BB,

I know, I figured I'd have the same problem which is why I built a dedicated ferment fridge and a keezer 😉

It's a a Westinghouse 133L Bar Fridge (model WRM1400WD) I bought off gumtree for $40.00. It took me a while to find one without a freezer, but they are out there - definitely worth the wait though ...

I have attached info here on how I made my ferment fridge. Let me know if I can offer you any further info.

Fermentation Fridge.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

temperature controlled cardboard box

I was just being a bit cheeky TBB.  But it is just that.  A large open topped cardboard box with ceramic tiles on the base, blanket over the opening.  Heat belt sits on the tiles.  Fermenter in the box.  See photos.  The ambient winter temperature keeps the fermenting temperature down.  Heat belt makes sure it stays warm enough overnight.  Definitely not very efficient, but does the job.

I also use a temperature controlled freezer and a TC fridge for most of my fermenting.

Your little fridge looks a beauty.

IMG_3878.JPG.4b20d159d53b7caf27baa591669ceb7d.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG.672bbc5ffe241501a6e13b2b4fc3590b.JPG

• Like 4

Westinghouse do a bar fridge without a freezer.  Look for Westinghouse WRM1400WD (current model) or WRM1300WC (older model).  @Triple B Brewing's looks like the older model.

• Like 2