Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, I have heaps of books, magazines etc. but I stopped buying them years ago, practical experience is your best teacher.

If you start All Grain Brewing, well that's another chapter.

Of course you do. And that's what would happen if we didn't have the internet, apps, etc., people would use books and magazines to get information.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Of course you do. And that's what would happen if we didn't have the internet, apps, etc., people would use books and magazines to get information.

In the old days it was information handed down from generation to generation - look at the Coopers story.

I am sure Thomas Cooper didn't have an iPhone back in 1862.

Bootmaker Pale Ale bottled version. Different to my keg. Gassy and a bit sweeter. Prefer kegged version. Very malty beer. I did mash in some grain and used Lallemand London I think so to be expected. Not a summer session beer but a tasty malty sipper. No aceldehydrsredguil to speak of in this one. Must Google to see why not.

20230923_180053.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

If you start All Grain Brewing, well that's another chapter.

God help us If he does. He'll be looking into astrophysics and Dr Neil Degrass Tyson on how Exoplanets let of sulphurucdyicetylismos into a tinned beer. We'll all suffer for sure.

Exbeerriments will go another fcking level 🫣 

• Haha 3

Hoppy Real Ale.

Somewhat of a pointless side-by-side taste test.  It is the same brew.  The difference is one is served from a keg and the other is from a bottle.  So bottle is 4.5% and the kegged one is 4.1%.  Bottled version is well carbonated and, perhaps due to the carbonation, has a more noticeable aroma, a bit like slightly burnt caramel.  The bottled version is also a tiny bit smoother.  Maybe due to priming and having slightly more fermented sugar that offsets the bitterness.  The kegged version is more bitter, but not by much.  Bottled version had good head retention but the kegged one had no head retention.  I prefer the bottled version of this one.

IMG_3924.JPG.1aa4b780428de8ddc7af4c2d18001d51.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

God help us If he does. He'll be looking into astrophysics and Dr Neil Degrass Tyson on how Exoplanets let of sulphurucdyicetylismos into a tinned beer. We'll all suffer for sure.

Exbeerriments will go another fcking level 🫣 

As you know mate, AG allows no shortcuts, experiments otherwise you WILL stuff it up, learn the basics & then you can muck about, if you really need too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hoppy Real Ale.

Somewhat of a pointless side-by-side taste test.  It is the same brew.  The difference is one is served from a keg and the other is from a bottle.  So bottle is 4.5% and the kegged one is 4.1%.  Bottled version is well carbonated and, perhaps due to the carbonation, has a more noticeable aroma, a bit like slightly burnt caramel.  The bottled version is also a tiny bit smoother.  Maybe due to priming and having slightly more fermented sugar that offsets the bitterness.  The kegged version is more bitter, but not by much.  Bottled version had good head retention but the kegged one had no head retention.  I prefer the bottled version of this one.

Ill have to do a side by side Shamus. I tried an all grain VB, and Sparkling Ale.  Lovely beers but didnt give that floral finish. Throw more hops at the end or dry hop I'm not sure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hoppy Real Ale.

Very interesting. I wouldn't have expected such a difference in the head.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:12 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

In the old days it was information handed down from generation to generation - look at the Coopers story.

I am sure Thomas Cooper didn't have an iPhone back in 1862.

But at the start of generation brewing it was probably a book of some sorts or paper recepie that got people started. Or information passed on from someone else. It's kind of a more than one possible answer scenario. 

When the Coopers and other breweries pre 1900s were going there was no such thing as controlled yeast strains. So all this same recepie since 18 whatever nonsense is bullocks.  Unless you count the process itself as the recepie and the wild yeast they relied on for the remainder the same.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Very interesting. I wouldn't have expected such a difference in the head.

Actually, my bad.  Later last night, the flow from the Real Ale tap was quite slow.  So I checked inside the kegerator.  I had failed to reconnect the gas disconnect.  I removed it the night before after fast carbonating at 40psi for 24 hours.  No wonder its head was lacklustre in the photo.  Tonight, its head formation was much better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Ill have to do a side by side Shamus. I tried an all grain VB, and Sparkling Ale.  Lovely beers but didnt give that floral finish. Throw more hops at the end or dry hop I'm not sure.

I think I know what you mean.  I did a quick search for hops with floral notes and things like Pride of Ringwood did not get a mention.  Maybe some PoR or East Kent Goldings as a whirlpool addition at 80°C might help.

I used to drink Red Bitter (because it was cheap) and I really liked its floral aroma.  I could not find a recipe for it to get a clue about which hop was used in it.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:36 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

As you know mate, AG allows no shortcuts, experiments otherwise you WILL stuff it up, learn the basics & then you can muck about, if you really need too.

The beauty of AG is that you can experiment so much better. You can do simple things like make the same beer and use different yeast, just to see or use different hops, just to see what happens. Make a "leftovers" beer and combine all the little bits of grain here and there, some hops one always wanted to try etc. And unless you do something really silly, you will always get beer. Most of my exbeeriments turned out quite drinkable, some even made it into the "mainstream" stash of recipes. Some were a little off but hey, "You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me." as Lemmy sang 🙂 

But yes, shortcuts are a bad idea. They may work here and there but eventually, they will bite you in the bum. I'm not going to try and  save 5 minutes in a 4-hour process, risking the whole 4 hours being wasted. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The beauty of AG is that you can experiment so much better. You can do simple things like make the same beer and use different yeast, just to see or use different hops, just to see what happens. Make a "leftovers" beer and combine all the little bits of grain here and there, some hops one always wanted to try etc. And unless you do something really silly, you will always get beer. Most of my exbeeriments turned out quite drinkable, some even made it into the "mainstream" stash of recipes. Some were a little off but hey, "You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me." as Lemmy sang 🙂 

But yes, shortcuts are a bad idea. They may work here and there but eventually, they will bite you in the bum. I'm not going to try and  save 5 minutes in a 4-hour process, risking the whole 4 hours being wasted. 

Yeah, I agree, the only thing I have changed occasionally is substituting either grains or hops in the odd brew, you can't really change the basic format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

You can make the same beer and try different yeasts or use different hops in extract brewing, too. You can do split batches, you can vary just the adjuncts, or you can try different steeping methods. There is plenty of scope for exbeerimentation.

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

You can make the same beer and try different yeasts or use different hops in extract brewing, too. You can do split batches, you can vary just the adjuncts, or you can try different steeping methods. There is plenty of scope for exbeerimentation.

Of course, there is. The recipe section on this site shows that there is a heap you can do with extracts. But I still have to deal with the base kit, of which I don't know what is in it and in which quantities. I have to work around the hops that are in the kit and I have to work with the malts contained in the kit as I cannot change them. I can add but not change. When brewing AG, I can decide what I am working with and how. With the same grain bill and ingredients, I can vary ABV by as much as 1% by simply varying the mash temperature and duration. AG undeniably gives you more flexibility at the expense of time of course.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think I know what you mean.  I did a quick search for hops with floral notes and things like Pride of Ringwood did not get a mention.  Maybe some PoR or East Kent Goldings as a whirlpool addition at 80°C might help.

I used to drink Red Bitter (because it was cheap) and I really liked its floral aroma.  I could not find a recipe for it to get a clue about which hop was used in it.

Hey @Shamus O'Sean, this hop chart provides some good info on different hops

Home Brew Academy Hps Chart

Maybe an “Amarillo” might go close

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1