Coopers Community

Coopers FV

Oldbloke

16 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Oldbloke I also just thought about the few times I had used glass stubbies. Depending on what kind of stubby used. Alot of the time the fill level is a bit less by the time the wand comes out.

In saying that if expect to get 30 plastic not quite longnecks a brew its probably fairly spot on.

But you are right it's out of wack a bit as Shamus pointed out also from his test.

I've got one of the older opaque Coopers fv. Tap is low but fitted with slotted piece of plastic that only allows the tap to draw wort from above the tap, thus avoiding sucking in trub. Tilting is required to get the last wort out.

The tap on the newer fv certainly is a lot higher.

I always fill to 24 litres so I get 30 large PETS. Works for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No.  My Coopers FV is out by about 0.3 litres.

I weighed a reasonably full FV.  It was 25.815kg.  The reading on the side was 23.8 litres.  Once it was emptied, I weighed the FV again and it was 1.69kg.  25.815 - 1.69 = 24.125kg.  This means that when the reading on the side said 23.8 litres, it weighed 24.125kg.

Now that weight includes the trub, which given the solids, is heavier than beer.  So the difference between the reading on the side and the actual volume is less than 0.3 litres.  Bottom line: Close enough for me.

I also miss understood. Mate swears he filled it to the 23 ltr mark. I think I will use the Coopers fv next brew. See what happens.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spursman said:

I've got one of the older opaque Coopers fv. Tap is low but fitted with slotted piece of plastic that only allows the tap to draw wort from above the tap, thus avoiding sucking in trub. Tilting is required to get the last wort out.

The tap on the newer fv certainly is a lot higher.

I always fill to 24 litres so I get 30 large PETS. Works for me.

Correct, it is higher for a specific reason. For those who collect & re-cycle the yeast it is a lot easier to gather the required quantity from the bottom of the FV.

If you have had a successful fermentation, you should have a nice firm cake on the bottom of the FV thus making it easier to separate the beer from the trub.

The tap, being higher makes it possible.

Just a thought, if people aren't happy with the well-designed Coopers Fermenter, go buy another type!  🤨

• Like 2

lol, once again, you claim that you're correct because your opinion aligns with coopers opinion. by that logic you're incorrect about your fermenter opinion because it differs with coopers opinion.

you can express any opinion you want, but the bleach one doesn't align with the rest of the homebrewing community. use it if you want, but don't be surprised if you recommend it to others and a lot of people disagree with you.

22 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

lol, once again, you claim that you're correct because your opinion aligns with coopers opinion. by that logic you're incorrect about your fermenter opinion because it differs with coopers opinion.

you can express any opinion you want, but the bleach one doesn't align with the rest of the homebrewing community. use it if you want, but don't be surprised if you recommend it to others and a lot of people disagree with you.

Seems your simply trying to support your previous preposterous comment. Mate, two completely different subjects. What your saying is because i agree with coopers on one matter i must agree with them all the time.  What you propose has no logic whatsoever.  It is totally ridiculous. You need to think before you hit the "reply" button. Perhaps you should eas up on the HB mate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Seems your simply trying to support your previous preposterous comment. Mate, two completely different subjects. What your saying is because i agree with coopers on one matter i must agree with them all the time.  What you propose has no logic whatsoever.  It is totally ridiculous. You need to think before you hit the "reply" button. Perhaps you should eas up on the HB mate.

Come on children play nicely together & move on, this topic is getting tired. 🥱

We all have opinions, but they shouldn't be confused with incorrect/correct brewing methods. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Soo, I put some water in both FVs.

I then opened the tap till the water stopped and measured the remaining water just using a measuring jug.

Coopers 4.5 litres

My more traditional style. 1.6 litres 

If this issue is really bothering you, it appears that it is, then why not put a false bottom in the fv to fill the space?

2 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

What your saying is because i agree with coopers on one matter i must agree with them all the time.  What you propose has no logic whatsoever.  It is totally ridiculous.

you stated you were correct because of coopers, you're the one who can't see logic. you are by definition a troll account and shall be ignored going forward. 

13 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

you stated you were correct because of coopers, you're the one who can't see logic. you are by definition a troll account and shall be ignored going forward. 

Oh you poor dear. 

I guess since you don't agree with coopers regarding the use of bleach. (your version of) Logic says you don't agree with the fv design.  🤣

Subject closed.

Edited by Oldbloke

4 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I guess since you don't agree with coopers regarding the use of bleach. (your version of) Logic says you don't agree with the fv design.  🤣

my version of logic says I didn't state that because coopers has an opinion on something that makes it correct. that was you. you're either a good troll account, or you have some kind of mental disability, I'm honestly not sure which, but I'm not going to stick around to find out.

9 hours ago, terminal2k said:

Lol.  Using your logic you MUST  consider the fv useless.

BTW, that was a great effort in ignoring me. That's twice now.

Suggest you actually do that. Each time you comment you look even sillier. Your comments are perposterous. You are simply attacking me because I am expressing an opinion different to yours.  

Edited by Oldbloke

19 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I honestly can't decide if you're a troll account. You wanted to go into battle because coopers said to use bleach so it must be the best thing since sliced bread, but their fermenter design doesn't align with what you think it should be so it sucks? It may shock you but there are different opinions on most things in brewing, even so, some are the dominant opinion (like not using bleach). It's not easy to come down to the same situatuin with fermenter design as often brewers migrate to more advanced fermenters that do pressure, or are stainless. From my personal experience, the coopers fermenters are easily the best ones around (for the plastic non pressure crowd). I chucked some other plastic fermenters and aquired more of the coopers variety. 

Apparently, some opinions are more equal than others. And if I express one that differs from yours I am a troll.  Good onya!

On 12/26/2022 at 3:18 PM, Oldbloke said:

The coopers FV I'm guessing you would leave at least 1.5 litres behind.seems a waste.

This is a silly statement, just keep bottling until all the beer has been harvested FFS.  Having to tilt the FV or not is superfluous.

The Coopers FV is very well designed IMO, myself having brewed since 1971 - 72 in all sorts of vessels.   It is designed by brewers not by mugs.  The tap is high for a reason, to suit high trub brews.  Just like it has a Krausen collar, its for high Krausen brews.  You may not have a high trub brew or a high Krausen brew but this FV will handle either when asked.  Not to mention it can handle more than 23 L too.  Plus a tap that can be disassembled for proper cleaning and sanitising and the whole FV has nowhere for nasties to hide not like some of the Bunnings drums and other LHBS FV's I have used (welded plastic joints and seams etc.).

IMO, other than the SS FV offerings, the Coppers FV is god's gift to the ordinary bloke home brewer.  I have two of them and they are in constant use for my ales.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

How would you do that schoolboy trick?

Dunno, gotta be a way tho.

Maybe something like plastic kitchen cutting boards shaped to fit? Just make sure SWMBO isn't home when you do it! OR

Ask a Kardashian for some tips.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spursman said:

Dunno, gotta be a way tho.

Maybe something like plastic kitchen cutting boards shaped to fit? Just make sure SWMBO isn't home when you do it! OR

Ask a Kardashian for some tips.

You don't want anything in there that can give places for the enemy to hide, breed, attack and take over your beer. 😉

• Like 3

I've kept out of this thread but....

I used the Coopers FV for quite some time and was quite happy, and then the tap broke.

Ordered new tap and waited. And waited. Contacted Aust Post.

Apparently it was nothing to do with me. It was between them and Coopers.

Contacted Coopers who said they'd chase it up. Waited.......

Rang Aust Post and had a rant. Their excuse was the address labeling was an issue.

When it arrived the address label looked like 99% of the stuff I order off ebay.

Anyhow two brews in and the tap broke. It was around the time PB2, the bloke from Coopers left the forum. He usually replied to people who had said the taps broke.

I couldn't be bothered to wait a month or so for a new tap and then have it break after two brews.

Easier to buy a 25 litre container from Bunnings. New tap, about $2.

So unfortunately my Coopers FV is sat up in the rafters of the garage tapless.

• Sad 4

@Graculus sorry to hear your bad luck about the tap I ordered extras because of the bad reputation they had. In 2 years I still have the extras and havent had any trouble.

I had one old fermenter with the old twist around tap. Handed down from a mate who got me into brewing again after massive gap.

It worked fine but had to keep soaking it in warm water after a few brews as it had gunk build up. Because it was clear you could see it and when it was cleaned out. 

The new snap taps now are awesome and I believe they have come along way since they first started making the new ones.  

• Like 3

Yes @Graculus I have read all the threads re the Coopers taps. 

I constantly use two Coopers FV's and have 2 complete spare taps and also a spare set of "O" rings because of comments re the tap breaking.  My two Coopers FV's are the newer type, I never use the tap as a lifting / maneuvering handle as some do.  I never flick it open or flick it off, always hands-on open and hands-on close.  My four taps get cycled, each one, completely disassembled and the "O" rings off, maybe sit two weeks in a SP solution, then hot water rinse then 24 hours in sanitiser solution before reassembly and then used in next brew.  So its not the chemicals that do the damage IMO it's the user. 

So far so good as far as I am concerned.  Maybe you have been unlucky maybe not.  My MOTO is - If you look after your gear it will look after you.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes @Graculus I have read all the threads re the Coopers taps. 

I constantly use two Coopers FV's and have 2 complete spare taps and also a spare set of "O" rings because of comments re the tap breaking.  My two Coopers FV's are the newer type, I never use the tap as a lifting / maneuvering handle as some do.  I never flick it open or flick it off., always hands on open and close.  My four taps get cycled, each one, disassembled and "O" rings off maybe sit two weeks in a SP solution, then hot water rinse then 24 hours in sanitiser solution before reassembly and use in next brew so its not the chemicals that do the damage IMO its the user.  So far so good as far as I am concerned.  Maybe you have been unlucky maybe not.  My MOTO is - If you look after your gear it will look after you.

yes, I get what you're saying. First tap I took apart, cleaned etc like you say.

Second tap lasted two brews, so obviously a lemon.

• Sad 1