Coopers Community

Considering home brewing - complete newb with questions

stevo1957

Hi all,

I am recently retired and thought I might give home brewing a bash given I now should have some more free time.

I enjoy 150 Lashes pale ale so was thinking I'd try a mix that will give this flavour, but given I'm the only beer drinker in the house, and not a big one at that, thought the craft beer Coopers kit would be a good starting point given it's size and price.

The sales blurb mentions you should use the Mr Beer Craft Series of brewing extracts. Does that mean I am limited only to these flavours or can I use any extract and ingredients from other manufacturers, providing I match the required measure to the brew kit size?

Probably a basic question, but like I said, I'm a total newb and despite googling home brew and kits for some time, am getting confused with exactly what my options are.

Guidance / advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by stevo1957
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Hi all,

I am recently retired and thought I might give home brewing a bash given I now should have some more free time.

I enjoy 150 Lashes pale ale so was thinking I'd try a mix that will give this flavour, but given I'm the only beer drinker in the house, and not a big one at that, thought the craft beer Coopers kit would be a good starting point given it's size and price.

The sales blurb mentions you should use the Mr Beer Craft Series of brewing extracts. Does that mean I am limited only to these flavours or can I use any extract and ingredients from other manufacturers, providing I match the required measure to the brew kit size?

Probably a basic question, but like I said, I'm a total newb and despite googling home brew and kits for some time, am getting confused with exactly what my options are.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve welcome to the forum & the wonderful world of Home Brewing.

Just to be clear Mr Beer 1.3kg cans of extract are specifically designed for the Coopers DIY Craft Kit although there are other options available.

They make 8.5 - 11litres of beer.

See the source image

The standard Coopers DIY Brew Kit is the one most used by home brewers & now is a good time to buy them as BIG W & Dan Murphy's have them on special 20% foo for Father's Day.

These make up to 23litres of beer.

Both are owned & produced by Coopers.

As far as recipes go, there are heaps of them.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=79ece180101ce24bJmltdHM9MTY2MjA3NjgwMCZpZ3VpZD0yMjg1ZDExMC1lOTY1LTY2NWMtMDkyYi1jMzAzZTgwNTY3YTQmaW5zaWQ9NTE3NA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2285d110-e965-665c-092b-c303e80567a4&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZGl5YmVlci5jb20vcmVjaXBlcw&ntb=1

See the source image

• Like 2

There is a lot of information available on this forum & some of the members are actual Commercial Brewers, work in or own Home Brew Supplies. The community forum is a great place to learn as everyone is always willing to pass on information or answer any questions.

Most people start here as a 'Newbie' & some questions you may find stupid but they aren't as you need to understand the basics before you can jump into anything too far advanced.

Hope this helps & good luck with your brewing adventure.

Cheers Phil.

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, good info.

So would that mean that if I were to but the smaller kit, but wanted to use a mix that normally uses the larger brewing container, I would just scale the ingredients to smaller amounts for the smaller size, or wouldn't it work that way?

If it isn't that easy, perhaps I'd just be better with the larger kit. 

6 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks Phil, good info.

So would that mean that if I were to but the smaller kit, but wanted to use a mix that normally uses the larger brewing container, I would just scale the ingredients to smaller amounts for the smaller size, or wouldn't it work that way?

If it isn't that easy, perhaps I'd just be better with the larger kit. 

To be honest I would start with the larger kit as you will have much more versatility & be able to make a wider range of brews ( & more beer )

After time you will buy more Fermenters (FV) I know a lot of brewers who have several, I have about 8 including the smaller Craft Kit but that's just me.

Having said that if you just want to produce small batches & are happy with that, go for it.

You have to be spot on with adjusting the ingredients as you can completely ruin the recipe or it will be too strong, too weak, too bitter & so on.

My advice would be stick to the basics & get it right, practice makes perfect. Don't try to get to adventurous at first.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil,

So if I went for the larger kit, does that mean I could still use it if I only wanted to do a small 8 ltr craft beer recipe? ....... or is the size of the fermenting vessel related / matched to the volume of the brew?

Hope you follow.

5 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks Phil,

So if I went for the larger kit, does that mean I could still use it if I only wanted to do a small 8 ltr craft beer recipe? ....... or is the size of the fermenting vessel related / matched to the volume of the brew?

Hope you follow.

Yeah physically you can but I wouldn't recommend filling a large FV to 0nly 8.5litres - too much air space/oxygen, all sorts of other reasons, you are better off using the correct vessel for the intended brew.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil,
I'm leaning towards the small kit given smaller space required for setup and the fact that I am the only drinker in the house and even then, not a regular one (enjoy a coldie after garden or outside work etc).

Probably best then if I concentrate on the recipes specifically for the smaller batches and in due course, learn about scaling the bigger size recipes to match the smaller setup.

Thanks for your help with my questions today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks Phil,
I'm leaning towards the small kit given smaller space required for setup and the fact that I am the only drinker in the house and even then, not a regular one (enjoy a coldie after garden or outside work etc).

Probably best then if I concentrate on the recipes specifically for the smaller batches and in due course, learn about scaling the bigger size recipes to match the smaller setup.

Thanks for your help with my questions today.

All good mate, the Craft Fermenter is a great little unit & the Mr Beer Range of beers are awesome, my favourites are the North West Pale Ale & the IPA's - hell what I am I talking about they are all good. The cans come pre-hopped but that doesn't mean at a later stage you can't add more, the same with say 250 -500gms of Light Dry Malt to give it extra body, mouth feel & head retention.

There are also grain additions to consider but save that for another time when you have mastered a few brews.

Try watching a few videos on the Coopers website & You Tube for extra information, you will learn a lot.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Sound advice above as always from uncle Phil. We are all here to help amd all started somewhere. Feel free to ask any sort of question. Dont overthink it, amd stick to the basics at first. 

Its a lovely, rewarding hobby. 

Cheers

• Like 3

Hi @stevo1957,  I have been brewing for 9 months; and am up to brew no. 9. Ask any question here, as I have done. Someone will always hop in and help out. For me, breaking the brewing process down into little steps and being organised has helped ha ha.  I started with a Coopers 23 litre kit, but those smaller craft kits sound good. I know some Coopers Community members make their brews after work or on weekends or even between FIFO trips! I am also retired and take my time setting up, mixing and bottling.  My favourite homebrew so far is Coopers Pale Ale.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah physically you can but I wouldn't recommend filling a large FV to 0nly 8.5litres

I see no issue with it.

150 Lashes - Can Coopers APA + Can Wheat malt + amarillo and nelson hops.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, interceptor said:

150 Lashes - Can Coopers APA + Can Wheat malt + amarillo and nelson hops.

Finally someone has posted a recipe I can understand.🙂
When I see things like the recipe below I just sit here scratching my head.😕

ESB 02 10 21 (fullers style)[/b]
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

[b]Recipe Specs[/b]
----------------
Batch Size (L):           22.0
Total Grain (kg):         4.550
Total Hops (g):           50.00
Original Gravity (OG):    1.052  (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG):       1.013  (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  5.11 %
Colour (SRM):             9.7   (EBC): 19.1
Bitterness (IBU):         28.2   (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

[b]Grain Bill[/b]
----------------
4.000 kg Base Bairds Pale (87.91%)
0.300 kg Flaked Maize (6.59%)
0.250 kg Caramunich II (5.49%)

[b]Hop Bill[/b]
----------------
25.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Fuggles Pellet (4.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

[b]Misc Bill[/b]
----------------
10.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar London ESB (then crash to zero for a week before kegging).

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 9/3/2022 at 11:08 AM, stevo1957 said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Steve

Welcome Steve,

Personally I would not bother with the smaller kits. Just buy a 23 liter kit.  I see no issue doing a 9 or 10 ltr in a larger barrel.  It will soon build up co2.

There are heaps of recipes and kits available. Some very easy, some hard.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipes

I have always suggested new brewers try in no particular order a Coopers: 

Draught

Lager

Real Ale &

Pale Ale

Just add brew enhancer #3 or some dried malt extract.  All great beers.  And very easy to do. Trying to duplicate a factory beer my be too complicated for you to begin with, KISS

If your able to suggest you start collecting bottles now. 

Adding 1kg brew enhancer or dried malt extract will give you about 4.5% ABV

Adding 1/2 kg brew enhancer or dried malt extract will give you about 3.5% ABV

You will also need to maintain a temperature of about 18C to 23c . So if you live down south some sort of heating.

Don't be afraid to ask any question.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Malter White said:

Finally someone has posted a recipe I can understand.🙂

I agree @Malter White but have worked out the different between what we do and the All Grainer's

I read somewhere that if you stick to, Two thirds Light Dry Malt, One third other sugars (what ever suits you)

It's hard to go wrong!

Works for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree @Malter White but have worked out the different between what we do and the All Grainer's

I read somewhere that if you stick to, Two thirds Light Dry Malt, One third other sugars (what ever suits you)

It's hard to go wrong!

Works for me.

That makes very good sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It has said many times before & k & K brew done properly will be hard to beat especially with grain addition, extra malt, careful use of hops at the appropriate time, you have a winner.

AG brewing is more complex & requires more equipment & a bit more to learn & get right but at the end of the day you have to do it right otherwise you may as well just buy a can & open it.

I have only dabbled a few times but it is very rewarding & in my opinion a much better beer.

• Like 3

All,

Thanks for your contributions and suggestions.

Notwithstanding recommendations to go for the larger kit, for my particular setup, situation and consumption pattern (😉) the 8.5 ltr kit would be the one for me.

The Mr Beer ingredients for the small setup look good as do the recipes I've been perusing for small batch brews. 

I've also been reading about recipe scaling so am thiking that in need, if I want to try a Coopers extract specifically canned for a 23 ltr brew,  then I could scale ingredients so as to use the smaller fermenter vessel. My read on this subject is that there are quite a few methods to scale a recipe, but straight linear scaling works in a lot of cases, so was wondering if I was to use, for example, a 1.7 kg can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract, would it simply be that I would only use 8.5 / 23 of each ingredient when I put the brew together? 

• Like 3