Coopers Community

Considering home brewing - complete newb with questions

stevo1957

9 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

All,

Thanks for your contributions and suggestions.

Notwithstanding recommendations to go for the larger kit, for my particular setup, situation and consumption pattern (😉) the 8.5 ltr kit would be the one for me.

The Mr Beer ingredients for the small setup look good as do the recipes I've been perusing for small batch brews. 

I've also been reading about recipe scaling so am thiking that in need, if I want to try a Coopers extract specifically canned for a 23 ltr brew,  then I could scale ingredients so as to use the smaller fermenter vessel. My read on this subject is that there are quite a few methods to scale a recipe, but straight linear scaling works in a lot of cases, so was wondering if I was to use, for example, a 1.7 kg can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract, would it simply be that I would only use 8.5 / 23 of each ingredient when I put the brew together? 

Steve when I first bought my Craft Kit I bought quite a few cans ox extract at 1/2 price from a LBHS that was closing down, they were 1.7 cans, I used the lot in the small vessel & just added the supplied yeast, I pushed the volume up to 11litres & each brew was a success. It is fairly concentrated so there was no need to add any more fermentables.

You will not go wrong with the Craft kit just remember to have back up bottles & try to get another brew on ASAP after bottling, we don't want to be thirsty do we.

All the best with it.

Cheers Phil.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevo1957 said:

I've also been reading about recipe scaling so am thiking that in need, if I want to try a Coopers extract specifically canned for a 23 ltr brew,  then I could scale ingredients so as to use the smaller fermenter vessel. My read on this subject is that there are quite a few methods to scale a recipe, but straight linear scaling works in a lot of cases, so was wondering if I was to use, for example, a 1.7 kg can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract, would it simply be that I would only use 8.5 / 23 of each ingredient when I put the brew together? 

Hey @stevo1957, Yep, it is that simple.  At the homebrew scale, linear is fine.  The trick can be measuring out 628g of a 1.7kg can.  Near enough is good enough though.  +/- 20g either way will not make a difference.

Also glad wrap the left-over in the can.  Put it in the fridge.  Try to use it within 4 weeks.  Some might say sooner, but I have saved it for 4 weeks and done the next brew without a hitch.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks all...........Craft beer kit ordered last night.  Lucky to get it on special, noting that they are back to usual price today.

Now the fun begins.

i hope you enjoy your new hobby.   Some say they dont want to go down the rabbit hole even i said i didn't want to go down that path lol

remember sanitizer is your new best friend sanitise everything that comes in contact with the wort.  if you dont think it does sanitise it.

temp control  is your friend as well  so if you haven't got a fermentation fridge  keep your eyes out for a good  2nd hand fridge  that runs from gumtree or homebrew sites etc

also its worth purchasing either a  inkbird temp controller  or a Rapt temp Controller or similiar   so you can ferment at stable conditions all year

good luck with your 1st brew 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks all...........Craft beer kit ordered last night.  Lucky to get it on special, noting that they are back to usual price today.

Now the fun begins.

Good one @stevo1957 you made a good choice with the Craft Kit to begin your brewing journey, it couldn't be simpler, like making a coffee in the morning.

The Beer Beer range is a good place to start as you can make a small batch & if you don't like it you can always tweak the recipe to suit your tastes.

The kit contains a Bewitched Amber Ale which is a very nice mid range Ale. 

QUOTE: She’s feisty, this one, but not too bitter. Showcasing vibrant amber hues, velvety smooth caramel malt character, even bitterness and a delicate citrus hop aroma, this amber ale epitomizes the characteristics that make this style a microbrewery standard.

Otherwise try a different beer. As I said earlier the cans come pre-hopped to make it simple for the beginner eliminating the need to add other ingredients other than the yeast.

Having said that it is a good idea to try the first brew as is & then decide if you want a beer with a bit more body & better head retention.

You can add LDM ( Light Dried Malt ) or LME ( Liquid Malt Extract ) & even some Hops at a later stage to enhance the flavour but I would be careful not to overdo it as you will change the taste profile & it could be too bitter.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4c9d86aaa2a42b6bJmltdHM9MTY2MjI0OTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0wMmZkNTY4MS1mY2E4LTY4NjYtMWE5Ny00NDk3ZmRiODY5NjImaW5zaWQ9NTE2OA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=02fd5681-fca8-6866-1a97-4497fdb86962&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZGl5YmVlci5jb20vYXUvYnJldy1raXRzL2Nvb3BlcnMtZGl5LWJlZXItY3JhZnQtYnJldy1raXQuaHRtbA&ntb=1

If you need any help on Brew Day or any other time feel free to ask. There is plenty available on this great forum.

Good Luck

Phil

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Now the fun begins.

Good luck mate.... also in addition to @ozdevil 's advice, maybe log your procedures & recipes.

I use a simple free app "BrewTracker"

Brew Tracker on Windows PC Download Free - 3.4 -  brewtracker.is.ccahill.com.au.brewtracker

• Like 7