Coopers Community

Crown seals

davids47

2 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Can crown seals be used on twist tops a,nd also on the bundarberg  pull tab bottles

I am not saying they can't but I personally wouldn't as you may not get a tight seal, there is another factor to consider, some of the twist top bottles are thinner & prone to exploding.

Coopers Longneck bottles are much more solid & reliable but there will be others who disagree, my brother uses West End stubby bottles which are twist tops so it can be done.

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am not saying they can't but I personally wouldn't as you may not get a tight seal, there is another factor to consider, some of the twist top bottles are thinner & prone to exploding.

Coopers Longneck bottles are much more solid & reliable but there will be others who disagree, my brother uses West End stubby bottles which are twist tops so it can be done.

Just adding to this, you may also find after time the screw top bottles may not hold the pressure as long as a crown seal due to the nature of the top of the bottle, you may end up with flat beer.

32 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Can crown seals be used on twist tops a,nd also on the bundarberg  pull tab bottles

The ones I have (some Coopers brand and some from the LHBS) say they are suitable for crown tops and twist top bottles.  I have used them for both.  I did get a couple of sealing failures with twist tops.  Then I read where somebody gives the twist tops a little tighten after capping.  Since doing this myself, I have not had a twist top failure.  Following this tighten method, I noticed that most of the twist tops were tight after capping, but occasionally one would turn just a little bit more and that was enough to seal them. 

Not sure about the Bundaberg crown tops.  But I think a few folks on the Forum use them.

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The ones I have (some Coopers brand and some from the LHBS) say they are suitable for crown tops and twist top bottles.  I have used them for both.  I did get a couple of sealing failures with twist tops.  Then I read where somebody gives the twist tops a little tighten after capping.  Since doing this myself, I have not had a twist top failure.  Following this tighten method, I noticed that most of the twist tops were tight after capping, but occasionally one would turn just a little bit more and that was enough to seal them. 

Not sure about the Bundaberg crown tops.  But I think a few folks on the Forum use them.

Years ago my neighbour at the time used to drink Corona & gave me the bottles, I did for a while successfully use them for brewing but I also tried a few others & ended up with a few flat ones so I only use Coopers Longnecks or Grolsch these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

Yep you can use them on twisties. Coopers longnecks are better though. 
Never tried the bundaberg bottles but don’t see why not. 

15 hours ago, davids47 said:

Hi mate I have used just about every bottle without issue. What you need to use though is the one arm bandit for screw tops and not the other two handed bottle capper. It is not safe to use the two handed capper on twist top bottles as they break apparently, I have never tried it as I didn’t want to take the risk.  I have had no issue with the one armed bandit sealing and only ever had one that was flat and I think I forgot to put sugar in it. When you cap it just rotate the bottle afterwards so it bubbles up inside and you will soon know if you have a leak. The only issue with Bundy bottles is the stuffing around changing the height of the capper as they are shorter than most other bottles.

Edited by RDT2

All of the bottles I use are proper crown tops.

I've used all kinds, including Corona and never had a problem.

I did use twist tops when I was starting out and didn't have many bottles

I don't recall a problem with them.

I have used the Bundy ones in the past for cider. After a few bottles bombs I gave up.

Although this was probably due to me over carbing the cider I would say.

I use Bundaberg stubbies and coopers long necks both are great. But the Asahi are ok too, but 330ml from memory. IMO twist tops tend to leak. But some find them ok. 

If that's all you have, use twist tops and chase up better options. 

Resized_tempFileForShare_20220410-172832_154746513420145.jpeg

Resized_20220321_110521.jpeg