Coopers Community

Roasted Malt - Spirit of Anzac

31 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Looking to put down a Spirit of Anzac brew. It calls for roasted malt, any of you guys roasted your own before ? Or where do I get it?

Most home brew shops I would've thought 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Looking to put down a Spirit of Anzac brew. It calls for roasted malt, any of you guys roasted your own before ? Or where do I get it?

You'll get roasted barley from your LHBS. We do a lot our selves but we do not malt our own grains. It would be cool but but it is a science on its own.

• Like 2

I’m looking forward to popping this one in, I thought you could do the roasting yourself, I’ve got plenty of barley here, I’m a few hundred km form brew shop only get there once a month. I’ll call them and see what they’ve got.

might bottle some for next years Anzac Day.

@Tone boy I agree, you could do some nice additions to this one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

I’m looking forward to popping this one in, I thought you could do the roasting yourself, I’ve got plenty of barley here, I’m a few hundred km form brew shop only get there once a month. I’ll call them and see what they’ve got.

I was thinking a liquid Anzac biscuit 🤣👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Hey BGW. The amazing @ChristinaS1 has done some home roasting of malts I believe. Check out this link on the English Bitter thread…

Hope that helps 

• Like 3

Nice to be remembered on the forum @Tone boy.  I have not been active on the forum of late but I get an email notification when someone quotes one of my posts. 

I am actually taking a break from brewing. We'll see how long it lasts! LOL!

Cheers friends. Miss you guys.

Christina.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Nice to be remembered on the forum @Tone boy.  I have not been active on the forum of late but I get an email notification when someone quotes one of my posts. 

I am actually taking a break from brewing. We'll see how long it lasts! LOL!

Cheers friends. Miss you guys.

Christina.

good  to see you poke nose in and say gday.   we miss your great info and lets hope you get the brewing bug back sooner rather then later

• Like 3

Bear in mind roasted malt differs from roasted barley, clue is in the name itself. I believe roasted malt is essentially the same as black patent. 

I haven't done home roasting as such, although I have made my own crystal malt before. The last lot came out like Caraaroma 🤤

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 6:05 PM, Beers Gone Wild said:

I did a Spirit of Anzac last month, it turned out quiet nice, a bit darker than in the recipe photo as my local brew shop sold me roasted barley infusion. I'll post a photo when I open one.

barl.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I did a Spirit of Anzac last month, it turned out quiet nice, a bit darker than in the recipe photo as my local brew shop sold me roasted barley infusion. I'll post a photo when I open one.

barl.jpg

Everything’s fits the description, except the colour, ha ha479C6DD6-C463-4E3A-89B0-22F8409D9DD9.thumb.jpeg.1adc00c9fb4d87fa037a73f75eec4bb9.jpeg996A90FC-AD2E-4705-9254-9584433F6D78.png.dd8a8e565071de92732aeeeb54828dd6.png

• Like 2

@Brauhaus Fritz looks like a nice drop, I like the deep colour. Experiments with different ingredients makes it fun chasing that ultimate beer. I’m gonna try source roasted malt.

As @Otto Von Blotto mentioned there’s a difference between the barley and roasted malt.

Edited by Beers Gone Wild
  • Like 2