Coopers Community

The Big Brew Challenge

ozdevil

That will be good, I saw it advertised, he is the guy from the Aussie version of River Cottage.

COMING SOON - The Big Brew Challenge

Air Date: Tuesday 1 February, 8.30pm

Paul West celebrates the science behind brewing by inviting three teams of novice brewers to create a beer good enough to impress a panel of expert judges.

Catalyst presenter, Paul West raises a glass of beer in a rye field.

Catalyst.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

I watched it last night but was so tired I nodded off before the end. Apparently it's replaying late on Thursday night 10/02/22.

i watched most of it and did the same Muzzy  but mind you i drove to mt gambier and back to melbourne yesterday so was buggered the good thing was i was in bed watching it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

That is a big day @ozdevil!

you know the stupid thing kmar i am going for that drive again tomorrow.   approx 2000kms in 2 days work , i had the option to do this 5 days a week when i started this job  would have  meant 5000s a week   compared to the average weekend warrior that drives to and from work and the kids sports sessions and the homebrew shop look like ya only going to the conershop

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i watched most of it and did the same Muzzy  but mind you i drove to mt gambier and back to melbourne yesterday so was buggered the good thing was i was in bed watching it

Yeah, I was up at 5am yesterday and worked. My new job is still a bit physically challenging for my middle aged body and I'm slowly getting accustomed to it but I'm sleeping well on working days.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you know the stupid thing kmar i am going for that drive again tomorrow.   approx 2000kms in 2 days work , i had the option to do this 5 days a week when i started this job  would have  meant 5000s a week   compared to the average weekend warrior that drives to and from work and the kids sports sessions and the homebrew shop look like ya only going to the conershop

I used to drive those distances driving all over OZ, 3 states in 1 day, from Adelaide to Broken Hill & beyond all the way to the QLD border & some but I thrived on it, OK, I was only driving a 4WD but it is still greuling, demanding as still requires a high level of concentration & discipline. 

The choice was mine but as I worked for myself with different agencies I dealt with it, probably getting to old now but I would do it all over again.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I used to drive those distances driving all over OZ, 3 states in 1 day, from Adelaide to Broken Hill & beyond all the way to the QLD border & some but I thrived on it, OK, I was only driving a 4WD but it is still greuling, demanding as still requires a high level of concentration & discipline. 

The choice was mine but as I worked for myself with different agencies I dealt with it, probably getting to old now but I would do it all over again.

Phil, I wouldnt change my job for quids , i love driving trucks, im lucky as most HR drivers are local drivers and dont   do  interstate or long country runs  (basicly my truck is a semi but just with a 14 pallet pantec on it   so i am not a small HR truck.....  

would love to do the roads  with a 4wd as the roads are now designed for 4wd drivers lol     My back is stuffed from bouncing in the truck  something you dont get in 4wds or cars  as its much harder on the body when you sit over the wheels   , you feel everything   (i dont litterally sit on the wheels) but a flat nose truck is over the steer tyres

But your spot on  Phil alot of people who drive around the city and to weekend sports and the homebrew shop are not built for long distance driving  as the concentration and fatigue levels  do demand it from you and you need good discipline as you said   

anyway going a bit of topic 

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK and good luck with that @ozdevil, must be like 10hrs or more behind the wheel plus loading and unloading?

10-11 hours driving  

I get up at 4:15am  for shower  and coffee catchup on whats happened on my beer sites and stuff   head to work around 5am

get to work  around 5:45am  just to have a chat with boss  to see whats on truck and needed for the day

6am paperwork done and start my day

i usually knock of around 8:30-9:00pm and home reading my 1st post just before 10pm   (thats the worse case senario

I usually sit idle in mt gambier from 2 - 4 hours   as they wait on stock from me

i do this twice a week  and yes i get good money   considering i only work 2 and have 5 off

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, I was up at 5am yesterday and worked. My new job is still a bit physically challenging for my middle aged body and I'm slowly getting accustomed to it but I'm sleeping well on working days.

Nothing like a bit of manual labor to build up a thirst Muzz!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Nothing like a bit of manual labor to build up a thirst Muzz!!

Oh yeah, Tone. I'm really enjoying my knock off beers these days. It almost makes me want to work a full week. Hahaha, not really. 2 or 3 days a week is just right for me at the moment.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Oh yeah, Tone. I'm really enjoying my knock off beers these days. It almost makes me want to work a full week. Hahaha, not really. 2 or 3 days a week is just right for me at the moment.

Yep I’m 3 days a week too Muzz. Love it. 
Just watched the show on Iview too. Very enjoyable. 
cheers 👍

• Like 2

wasn't horrible to watch, but they went off on crazy tangents after they brewed, then the "judging" if you can even call it that was about three words per brew. Because I didn't see the real judging process, I can only assume the stout won because they used an ingredient the judges weren't used to. Actually reminds me of when the wife used to watch masterchef and stuff. They'd judge a steak really harshly becuase they'd cooked stek a billion times, but when the contestant made some crazy exotic dish, they had no idea so always said it was great.

• Like 2